A metaphor by Sariputta, in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta.

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
BeAnAtta

Re: A metaphor by Sariputta, in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta.

Post by BeAnAtta »

In the Long Discourses there is a more complete account

I tried to attach a screenshot but it was too large so ive typed a tiny portion that answers the original posters question as to how none will ever be as Buddha is. And if you want to read the entire thing... get the long discourses, or lookup online where you can at least read the full passage.

"This the blessed lord fully comprehends and beyond it lies nothing further to be comprehended; and in such understanding there is no ascetic or brahmin who is greater or more enlightened than the blessed lord..."

Its an in depth analysis of how Buddha has covered everything so comprehensively that there is nothing more that could be discovered or taught, the work is complete in other words. Happy reading!
netlava

Post by netlava »

The longer version of the discourse found in the Sampasādanīya Sutta contains a more detailed elaboration. The following quote from the discourse suggests that the reason Sariputta was able to make such claims was because the Buddha himself had said so:
Lord, if I were asked: “Well now, friend Sāriputta, have there ever been in the past any ascetics and Brahmins more exalted in enlightenment than the Blessed Lord?” I should say: “No.” If asked: “Will there be any such in the future?” I should say: “No.” [114] If asked: “Is there any such at present ?ʺ I should say: “No.” Again, if I were asked: “Have there been any such in the past equal in enlightenment to the Blessed Lord?” I should say: “Yes.” If asked: “Will there be any such in the future?” I should say: “Yes.” But if I were asked: “Are there any such at present equal in enlightenment to the Blessed Lord?” I should say: “No.” And if I were then asked: “Venerable Sariputta, why do you accord this highest recognition to one and not the other?” I should say: “I have heard and received it from the Blessed Lord’s own lips: ‘There have been in the past, and there will be in the future, Arahant Buddhas equal in enlightenment to myself.’ I have also heard and received it from the Blessed Lord’s own lips that it is not possible, it cannot be that in one and the same world-system two Arahant supreme Buddhas should arise simultaneously. 896 No such situation can exist.”
As for the precise meaning of the metaphor of the castle, it is difficult to provide a single correct interpretation. The dhamma is typically deep - a single utterance could be true on a both a superficial level and on a profound level. The following quote from The Life of Sariputta contains an interesting little exchange on metaphors and their meanings:
The wanderer replied: "I am called Upatissa, friend. Please tell me according to your ability, be it much or little. It will be my task to penetrate its meaning by way of a hundred or a thousand methods." And he added:

"Be it little or much that you can tell,
the meaning only, please proclaim to me!
To know the meaning is my sole desire;
Of no avail to me are many words."
paul

Post by paul »

It's not a castle it's a frontline fortress and the implication of a fortress is that the dhamma is a battle plan requiring constant vigilance. The Buddha was a member of the warrior class and trained in martial arts, consequently the outlook of the dhamma is as a comprehensive fighting strategy, beginning with the interlocking logic of The Four Noble Truths and continuing through the complete fortress of the dhamma. The gatekeeper to the fortress is mindfulness.
"Just as a royal frontier fortress has a gatekeeper- wise, experienced, intelligent- to keep out those he doesn't know and to let in those he does, for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way, a disciple of the noble ones is mindful, endowed with excellent proficiency in mindfulness, remembering and recollecting what was done and said a long time ago. With mindfulness as his gatekeeper, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, (Right Effort) and looks after himself with purity." ---AN 7:63