Where in the US...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
PurpleNoob

Where in the US...

Post by PurpleNoob »

If you could choose a location of vacant land anywhere in the US for meditating outdoors without a tent, day or night, any time of year, where would be the best place to go? I am thinking somewhere the temp is always warm, no mosquitoes or other bugs, no large animal predators, maybe shaded from the sun in the a forest, etc.
cjmacie

Re: Where in the US...

Post by cjmacie »

PurpleNoob wrote:If you could choose a location of vacant land anywhere in the US for meditating outdoors without a tent, day or night, any time of year, where would be the best place to go? I am thinking somewhere the temp is always warm, no mosquitoes or other bugs, no large animal predators, maybe shaded from the sun in the a forest, etc.
Hawaii
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

San Diego (best weather, best coastline, best beaches)

A Huffington Post survey-report indicated that San Diego is the "2nd most Buddhist city" in the U.S.
binocular

Post by binocular »

David N. Snyder wrote:San Diego (best weather, best coastline, best beaches)

A Huffington Post survey-report indicated that San Diego is the "2nd most Buddhist city" in the U.S.
Which one is the first?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Huffington Post Article

According to the study, close to 75 percent of Buddhist congregations are located in metropolitan areas with population greater than a million. Of these metro areas, the researchers found San Jose to be the most Buddhist city with approximately 1.25 percent identifying as a Buddhist adherent.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
chownah

Post by chownah »

In honor of san jose being the most buddhist city in the usofa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWt49o7R-k
chownah
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

PurpleNoob wrote:.... meditating outdoors without a tent, day or night, any time of year ... somewhere the temp is always warm, no mosquitoes or other bugs, no large animal predators, maybe shaded from the sun in the a forest, etc.
The weather's not that consistently mild in San Diego (I've lived there 6-7 years, near the beach, inland, and in between).

Unless there's a limitation here to "the continental USA", Hawaii has by far the mildest climate. I know people who have lived there (in jungle / macademia groves) on the big island for a decade or so, e.g. in a small building open on 3 sides, or in a tree-house.

And, away from touristy areas, seclusion would be far easier than in any mainland urban area, Huffington Post notwithstanding.

Edit: San Jose probably due to the large Vietnamese population (the largest concentration outside of Vietnam). Maybe also as the only Panditarama Branch meditation center in the USA is there -- the Tathagata Meditation Center, in the "Little Saigon" area -- Burmese (Mahasi) monks, but a largely Vietnamese congregation of devotees and yogis. In the general area around San Jose, also all manner of Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Tibetan, etc. populations, with active temples / wats etc centers. (Otherwise the dominant population in San Jose is Hispanic.)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

cjmacie wrote:
PurpleNoob wrote:.... meditating outdoors without a tent, day or night, any time of year ... somewhere the temp is always warm, no mosquitoes or other bugs, no large animal predators, maybe shaded from the sun in the a forest, etc.
The weather's not that consistently mild in San Diego (I've lived there 6-7 years, near the beach, inland, and in between).

Unless there's a limitation here to "the continental USA", Hawaii has by far the mildest climate. I know people who have lived there (in jungle / macademia groves) on the big island for a decade or so, e.g. in a small building open on 3 sides, or in a tree-house.
For living outside or in a tent, then yes, I'd agree that Hawaii would be best. San Diego can get quite cold at night, which makes for nice sleeping weather, but only if you're inside and then the daytime temps are perfect around 72 degrees (22 Celsius).

I think that Huffington Post report didn't consider Hawaii? Surely Honolulu is the most Buddhist city? Or maybe the population of Honolulu is not high enough, that it didn't get considered. I think it is somewhere around 5% or more for Honolulu (Oahu) and then also the Big Island.

I like Hawaii too, but sometimes the heat and humidity is too much for my taste, so my favorite is San Diego, followed by Hawaii.
chownah

Post by chownah »

In honor of honolulu probably having 5% buddhists in its population:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8CMf6T-PY
chownah