how and what practice without access to a theravada sangha

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
mansurhirbi87

how and what practice without access to a theravada sangha

Post by mansurhirbi87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Brothers and sisters,

I'd like to know how and what practice without access to a theravada sangha. I'd like some practical advices to put in action by myself, please.

Thank you

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: how and what practice without access to a theravada sangha

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:48 pm

1. You can take refuge and undertake the five precepts in your own place in front of an image of the Buddha
  2. Read reliable translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi and others
  3. Watch some videos on YouTube to learn the basic techniques of meditation practice. You will find a few on my web page.
  4. Meditation is essentially a DIY project that you have to learn through personal practice like learning to swim, skate, or ride a bike. Teachers and books can only show the way, clarify the right method, and provide encouragement.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:36 pm

In case you have not seen the introductory resources thread yet:
https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148
There are so many dhamma talks, audio and video, now on the web, it's amazing.
You could also travel to a retreat for some of that one-on-one with a teacher and community support (even if transitory).
There are people who travel here for our annual 9-day retreats who come to be seen as a part of that transitory community.
Good luck!
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]

mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Thank you, brothers, for your suport. By the way, i live in the south of Brazil, last State, Rio Grande do Sul. let me know if someone knows someone from theravada tradition here. i could not find one.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Search the Buddhanet Directory.

There seems to be at least one in your state.

Universal Dhamma Vihara
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

R1111 = rightviewftw

Post by R1111 = rightviewftw » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:34 am

find some group online if you can

mansurhirbi87

Post by mansurhirbi87 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Thnk you, brothers

Brother Bhikku Pesala, i'm triyng contact with him. His e-mails are not working, but i'll try contact him by phone after carnival in Brazil. Beside it he's living a little bit far from capital, not so easy to get personal contact with him.

Brother R111, wich ones would you recomend ?

_/\_

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:20 am

I am a little different from many others who feel it vital that one should have a teacher or group, the important teachings of the Buddha need self-reflection and self-investigation, only then should one choose a group or sect whatever one likes to call these groups etc.

Who needs a group?
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

Jojola

Post by Jojola » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:24 pm

One word: Suttas.

Learn as many key concepts as you can in Pali (no need to be able to read, write, or talk fluently).
Don't rely just on one translator, you want to have a keen ability to identify literal translation as well as widen your spectrum of abstract understanding of them.

Cross examine liturgical exposition and the scholarly against each other, and both against the Pali Suttas.
Regards,

- :heart:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha’s Teaching." - Nanavira Thera (1920-1965) :candle: