So... Tea is really bad for you? I thought otherwise...

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
zan

So... Tea is really bad for you? I thought otherwise...

Post by zan »

So I have always observed a near unanimous agreement among the medical community that, at a minimum, a single cup of green tea a day is healthy and even recommended. Some say even more than that and even black tea is good for us.

Then I read this study, I've seen others like it, typically on diet guru websites or similar sources. This one, however, is from a reputable source, The National Center for Biotechnology Information, and is concerning:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821942/

Just one among many disturbing results is: "100% of all teas had more than the acceptable limit of lead."

Consumers just can't win, can they? Seems like problems like this pop up everywhere one looks. So where can I get a cup of tea that is actually safe to drink? A cup of green tea grown in ideal soil without pesticides is very healthy but can that even be bought within reasonable means?
Last edited by zan on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
DNS
Site Admin

Re: So... Tea is really bad for you? I thought otherwise...

Post by DNS »

Also the tea plant is known for attracting fluoride from the ground so a lot of health conscious people are going to herbal teas that do not have fluoride in them. I believe it is black tea that has the highest amounts of fluoride, with green tea also having it too.

You're right, you can't win. There is probably some study somewhere for every type of food or drink and how bad it is for you.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

I have consumed 10 - 15 cups of black tea daily for last three decades. I must be having more lead than a car battery inside me :tongue:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote:I have consumed 10 - 15 cups of black tea daily for last three decades :tongue:
And you're still alive? (just kidding)

Me too, I have been drinking green tea and jasmine tea for at least that long as well. So far no fluorosis (loss of tooth enamel from too much fluoride). But I'm considering decreasing my amount and drinking hibiscus tea instead which has no fluoride, no caffeine and is high in anti-oxidants.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tea
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

David N. Snyder wrote:
No_Mind wrote:I have consumed 10 - 15 cups of black tea daily for last three decades :tongue:
And you're still alive? (just kidding)
I don't get the kick from green and herbal tea that I get from black tea. It is very good at slow and sustained release of caffeine which keeps one wakeful and alert .. provided one imbibes one small cup (120 ml) every 1.5 - 2 hours.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I don't get the kick from green and herbal tea that I get from black tea.
This is the very reason you should avoid it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Now I grow my own mint at home.
Sun dry and use them.
Economical and fresh.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
c.smith

Post by c.smith »

Greetings,

Aside from the lead, caffeine, and fluoride (a neuro-toxin) in tea, consider the water that it is boiled in which also contains fluoride added by most cities. Yes, certainly can't win!
apophenia

Post by apophenia »

It does seem to depend on the country of origin, with teas from China generally being most contaminated: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... objectonly
samseva

Post by samseva »

Thanks for the study, apophenia (URL of the whole study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3821942/).

I think it is good, but it is important to take into consideration that how healthy (or uncontaminated) a Chinese tea—or any tea for that matter—is depends largely on where and in what soil the tea was grown in. China is huge, and some areas are highly polluted, while other areas are still in a very natural and uncontaminated state. Putting all Chinese teas in the same bag isn't very representative.

That is why it is important to always research where the tea was grown, and to find out a little on the background of the farm and tea growers of the tea—if you want good and healthy tea.
zan

Post by zan »

David N. Snyder wrote:Also the tea plant is known for attracting fluoride from the ground so a lot of health conscious people are going to herbal teas that do not have fluoride in them. I believe it is black tea that has the highest amounts of fluoride, with green tea also having it too.

You're right, you can't win. There is probably some study somewhere for every type of food or drink and how bad it is for you.
Agh, black tea is my favorite! Seems the only way to be really safe would be to get a doctorate in chemistry and minor in agriculture, buy a lab and a farm and grow your own food, test it, then ingest it.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Post by zan »

No_Mind wrote:I have consumed 10 - 15 cups of black tea daily for last three decades. I must be having more lead than a car battery inside me :tongue:
Do you also eat a lot of garlic? They say that garlic is extremely effective at ridding the body of lead. Also, from what I understand, there are lead free teas out there. Maybe you're lucky and somehow get those by chance? I contacted Republic of Tea and they said they test for lead and all their teas are lead free.

-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Post by zan »

c.smith wrote:Greetings,

Aside from the lead, caffeine, and fluoride (a neuro-toxin) in tea, consider the water that it is boiled in which also contains fluoride added by most cities. Yes, certainly can't win!
All these problems :juggling:

-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Post by zan »

robertk wrote:Switch to coffee, boys. Nectar!
Interesting idea! I searched a bit and there doesn't seem to be any studies showing coffee to be full of heavy metals or toxins. Is it really true? Is coffee a much better choice? The sad thing is that tea grown in ideal conditions is healthier than coffee but if that is hard to come by maybe coffee is better by default?

-Y. Karunadasa