Fake News

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Fake News

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:06 am

Greetings Chownah,

Try this.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:17 am

Thanks, that' great. Only one problem for me is that it is all in thai language here. I'll have to wait for my niece to come home and see if she can change it to english in google.

It does look as though the term arose quite suddenly and my guess is that the sudden large usage simply preempted the previous usage which seemed to be of little importance.
chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:31 am

retrofuturist wrote:Since then the "fake news" dichotomy has been turned on its head and is now used as an appellation to designate actual media outlets and journalists that publish stories about Trump that he finds to be fraudulent... all in the space of a couple of months!

Type "cnn is" into google, and see what the predictive search text says...
It seems that something like this happened in between:

Trump Calls CNN 'Fake News,' Refuses to Take Question at Press Conference

President Trump calls negative polls 'fake news' on Twitter

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:53 am

chownah wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:That's hilarious... and a little scary...

:coffee:
Mike
It is scary when a comedian is a more reliable news source than the administration of the president of the united states.
chownah
This particular shows (the tonight show) viewers were more informed about the news than many viewers of news stations according to a poll done a few years ago before the main host (John Stuart) left. That alone shows how the mainstream news media has been untrustworthy for some time.

The news coverage of this focused on Fox, but it was other networks as well https://www.poynter.org/2012/survey-npr ... ed/174826/
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 am

Greetings,

Donald Trump aide Sebastian Gorka accuses BBC of 'fake news'- BBC Newsnight

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Donald Trump aide Sebastian Gorka accuses BBC of 'fake news'- BBC Newsnight

Metta,
Very interesting. Not sure how/why this is being brought-up here, but looking at the interview, and s/w surprised, I would say the journalist made a very poor showing, and the official more often than not justifiably called him on it.

Does that interviewer really represent the BBC? Or is it like an "op-ed" or some sort of equal-time partisan presentation?

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 am

cjmacie wrote:
Does that interviewer really represent the BBC?
He is a BBC employee.
cjmacie wrote: Or is it like an "op-ed" or some sort of equal-time partisan presentation?
No.

Given the untruths coming out of the Trump Whitehouse (including in the Trump press conference they were talking about). Gorka is really just making silly noise.

Was Trump's press conference a bit unhinged?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Greetings,

The first batch of recordings have now been released onto www.cnnleaks.com (although they may presently be hard to access due to high demand)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-0_dFnl-Y

Metta,

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Listen to controversial white house terrorism adviser sebastian gorka’s angry call to a critic
(The man from the interview with the BBC above)

http://europe.newsweek.com/sebastian-go ... 9805?rx=eu

http://ps.ibt.com/2017/02/22/phone_call.mp4

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:50 pm

the video's don't show for me. All I am seeing is a black box :(
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Greetings,
Cittasanto wrote:the video's don't show for me. All I am seeing is a black box :(
Odd. Here's the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-0_dFnl-Y

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-0_dFnl-Y
Metta,

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:32 am

If I was running project veritas I would pick some really juicy examples to present in this promotional video. If what was presented is the juiciest thing they could find then there really is nothing there. None of what they presented is especially damning although it does show that some individuals are off the mark but certainly it is not a condemnation of main stream media as is suggested. This may qualify as fake news although I really don't like using the term.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 am

The recordings were made back to 2009, so they're bound to be somewhat anticlimactic. It was during the presidential election campaign that CNN pushed bias and yellow journalism to an unprecedented level.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 am

pulga wrote:The recordings were made back to 2009, so they're bound to be somewhat anticlimactic. It was during the presidential election campaign that CNN pushed bias and yellow journalism to an unprecedented level.
I don't know specifically if cnn was pushing a bias during the election campaign but it seemed to me that pretty much everyone was doing it so I more or less assume that cnn was doing it.....it would be good to see some evidence which veritas sort of claims to present but really they have presented nothing of importance. (False claims?...Fake news?)

Notice that veritas is only going after the big media.....this pretty much clears the field for small media to bias to the hilt.....I doubt that breitbart will ever be exposed nor a host of other small media outlets. Also, notice that veritas can publish what it wants and ignore the rest which pretty much guarantees that veritas itself will have a very strong bias. Can anyone guess what bias veritas will likely have? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
chownah

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Fox News Anchor Stands Up For CNN And Defines ‘Fake News’
“Fake news refers to stories that are created often by entities pretending to be news organizations solely to drive clicks and views based on nothing of substance,” Smith explained.

“CNN’s reporting was not fake news,” Smith said, after summarizing the news network’s coverage of Trump’s campaign’s ties to Russia.

Smith took it one step further when he aligned CNN’s reporting with his own organization’s.

“Its journalists follow the same standards to which other news organizations, including Fox News, adhere,” he said
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox ... 480e083d19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc3W9dl ... e=youtu.be