Fake News

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Buddha Vacana

Re: Fake News

Post by Buddha Vacana » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Buddha Vacana wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:The wikpedia entry "Fake news website" is worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news_website

Fake News, in my opinion, refers to a fairly specific thing (with a little blur at the edges).
and what is this fairly specific thing?
I would suggest something in the lines of "non factual events deliberately fabricated out of no credible source to mislead the readers".
Cittasanto wrote:I would agree. However, when does inaccurate reporting turn into fake reporting? or is someone saying something which could be verified but isn't be included? quote mining to make something look a certain way when it isn't? or false accusations simply because the reporter doesn't like the reaction their readers have to their actions, constitute fake news?
I believe this is what Mr Man referred to as "a little blur at the edges", nothing a proper team of lawyers/law makers wouldn't be able to sort out.

Jetavan

Post by Jetavan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:37 pm

SarathW wrote: Even the highly regarded Tipitaka should be read with open mind.
So you reject Palitheism?

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:20 pm

Buddha Vacana wrote:
Buddha Vacana wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: and what is this fairly specific thing?
I would suggest something in the lines of "non factual events deliberately fabricated out of no credible source to mislead the readers".
Cittasanto wrote:I would agree. However, when does inaccurate reporting turn into fake reporting? or is someone saying something which could be verified but isn't be included? quote mining to make something look a certain way when it isn't? or false accusations simply because the reporter doesn't like the reaction their readers have to their actions, constitute fake news?
I believe this is what Mr Man referred to as "a little blur at the edges", nothing a proper team of lawyers/law makers wouldn't be able to sort out.
as I said earlier
I agree with you on facts, however, current legislation requires proof that it was "deliberatly misleading/false" which is a high standard to prove on top of simply being inaccurate, misleading,or false.
Thinking about it, I actually think I remembered incorrectly and it is in fact case law from SCOTUS.

what law which does not restrict free expression could do this?
It is excessively easy to pass the duty onto lawyers and the legislature, but that just gives free reign for excessive legislation. Remember if it applies to the media, it will apply to all media the law won't make a distinction between one false news article and another. and if it differentiates that means guidelines which will be written by the leading political group at the time, and news organisations unable to report because the truth becomes subjective to the political power. But such restrictions on speech and the press has never happened before.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Jetavan wrote:
SarathW wrote: Even the highly regarded Tipitaka should be read with open mind.
So you reject Palitheism?
No.
Buddha said (I am not sure where I got this from) that Four Noble Truth also a fabrication.
What it means is that all the Tipitaka will not tell you what Nibbana means.
It is not possible to put it in to a words.
It is a draw-back of communication.
Some people know this and misuse it.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:00 am

More fake news debunked.
https://youtu.be/FgjTp-EK0KE

It is sad passengers have been called racist and all sorts when the two removed were easily found out to be incredibly unreliable.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:41 am

This is nothing short of criminal and should be punished:

Duped by fake news story, Pakistani minister threatens nuclear war with Israel
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/26/middl ... index.html

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:34 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:This is nothing short of criminal and should be punished:

Duped by fake news story, Pakistani minister threatens nuclear war with Israel
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/26/middl ... index.html
This is another especially serious example of what's clearly a real problem. I agree that it is nothing short of criminal. But how to balance on the edge between freedom of speech and restriction of it, who would monitor and enforce the laws in this regard, etc...these are difficult questions, especially because its the internet where most of this fake news happens. Even if laws were passed, they would be difficult to enforce because of how easy it is to anonymize one's internet activity.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm

How about this one?

Revealed: 1,000-Man Mob Attack Police, Set Germany’s Oldest Church Alight on New Year’s Eve

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/01 ... ch-alight/

or

No Breitbart, a Muslim mob didn't set fire to Germany's oldest church

https://www.thelocal.de/20170105/german ... -new-years

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 am

It is not widely known that our next president, donald trump, has spent countless hours learning American Sign Language so that he can effectively communicate with deaf people. Here he is using this wonderful communications tool to help deaf people understand his feelings about people with disabilities:

https://youtu.be/PX9reO3QnUA?t=16

Chownah News Service.....Our Motto: "Its not worth watching but you can't help but look."

chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:00 pm

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:54 pm

That's hilarious... and a little scary...

:coffee:
Mike

Phena

Post by Phena » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 pm

The saying, "truth is stranger than fiction", definitely applies here.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 am

mikenz66 wrote:That's hilarious... and a little scary...

:coffee:
Mike
It is scary when a comedian is a more reliable news source than the administration of the president of the united states.
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:07 am

Greetings,

I find it interesting how quickly the notion of "fake news" has been turned on its head.

Just in November last year it was about false stories and "clickbait" type articles from unknown publications, which were being blamed for Hillary's defeat. Mark Zuckerberg & co. all began earnestly looking for ways to stop its spread, all in the name of "fact checking".

Since then the "fake news" dichotomy has been turned on its head and is now used as an appellation to designate actual media outlets and journalists that publish stories about Trump that he finds to be fraudulent... all in the space of a couple of months!

Type "cnn is" into google, and see what the predictive search text says...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:58 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I find it interesting how quickly the notion of "fake news" has been turned on its head.

Just in November last year it was about false stories and "clickbait" type articles from unknown publications, which were being blamed for Hillary's defeat. Mark Zuckerberg & co. all began earnestly looking for ways to stop its spread, all in the name of "fact checking".

Since then the "fake news" dichotomy has been turned on its head and is now used as an appellation to designate actual media outlets and journalists that publish stories about Trump that he finds to be fraudulent... all in the space of a couple of months!

Type "cnn is" into google, and see what the predictive search text says...

Metta,
Paul. :)
I have seen graphs showing the frequency that search terms have been used on google as a function of time......i.e. how many searches contained a term shown by month or by year over the last few years. If anyone knows how to get these graphs it would be really interesting to see one for the term "fake news" and might help us to understand how or why the meaning of "fake news" has changed so rapidly.
chownah