Happy Uposatha Day!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
piotr

Re: Happy Uposatha Day!

Post by piotr »

Hi,

Fruitful Uposatha to all of you!

If you're Firefox user, then you can install free add-on Sun Cult, which will allow you to track the moon phases in the browser toolbar. There is also public calendar with moon phases, which you can subscribe at Google Calendar (Gmail account is required).
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Its not been a year has it???
TheDhamma wrote:Happy Asalha Puja Day!

A very important day, with special significance here. :smile:

Asalha Puja commemorates the first [re] turning of the "Dhamma Wheel" with the first sermon by the Buddha on the Dhamma in this dispensation.

And here at Dhamma Wheel we aim to continue turning the Dhamma Wheel, all credit to Buddha, of course.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

:buddha2:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,
Manapa wrote:Its not been a year has it???
Not the site Dhamma Wheel, if that's what you mean. That anniversary is on New Year's Eve (or thereabouts... timezones complicate things!).

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

TheDhamma wrote:Happy Asalha Puja Day!

A very important day, with special significance here. :smile:
No, not yet. I just meant that the Asalha Puja Day and this forum both commemorate the "turning of the Dhamma Wheel."

The first sermon, the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta, mentions the turning of the Dhamma Wheel and actually translates (somewhat) to turning the wheel of Dhamma.

And here the name of our forum is Dhamma Wheel.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro & Dhamma
didn't realise I joined on the first day :) just shows how much attention I pay to the season, dates etc :juggling:

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Manapa,
Not the site Dhamma Wheel, if that's what you mean. That anniversary is on New Year's Eve (or thereabouts... timezones complicate things!).

Metta,

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings everyone,

Happy Uposatha Day for today (or whichever day it falls on your chosen calendar)!

:buddha1:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

may be worth looking into having a moon clock, or a calander somewhere for the official DW uposatha days???? that way atleast we all know it is 8-precept time if we want to follow the extra rules? and save some confusion about what are and what arent the days!

just a thought may be better in the suggestions but seams appropriate here also!

John Stuart Mill
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Manapa,

I like the idea, and thought about it, but it's complicated slightly by the fact different calendars take different full-moon days, thus such a calendar could not be precise for everyone.

Metta,
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

There was another post or thread about this at one time and someone recommended a downloadable button which goes on the bottom right hand corner of your screen, which shows the current moon phase and also how many days until the next full moon. I can't give the link right now, because I am on the laptop right now, but one of us might be able to find it with a search.

I downloaded and like it -- it is just a small button and does not get in the way of anything.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Retro & Dhamma,
I don't remember the post you (Dhamma) speak of, but is it a propper download or is it a pop up screan showing the moon phase? I do have a moon phase calander on my blog but think that may be too bulky to make seamlessly part of the page in this forum without changing the design!
one solution would be to pick somewhere in the world and use there calander as a hint for everyone as to the aproach of the day? GMT has had the 0 time for the longest so I think briton should be out of the running as a calander candidate, but maybe a poll of which theravadan countrys tradition(s) people prefer and go with that countries one!

I may change my signature to sometimes my ideas are good sometimes not but be sure I will share them regardless!!!!!!
LOL

John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

anyone with the Vista sidebar can get a similar gadget to that

http://gallery.live.com/results.aspx?pl=1&bt=1&q=moon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Stuart Mill
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

TheDhamma wrote:Here it is:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trick...thank you David...
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Happy Uposatha Day!

I'm back on the Uposatha bandwagon this full-moon after missing the last couple through some instances of bad timing.

Metta,
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Happy Uposatha Day!

I'm back on the Uposatha bandwagon this full-moon after missing the last couple through some instances of bad timing.

Metta,
:anjali:

John Stuart Mill