Buddha and the CNN Hero Awards

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fragrant herbs

Buddha and the CNN Hero Awards

Post by fragrant herbs »

I have been wondering about this for some time. What does Buddha say about charity works? Is this something that he would suggest that we do or not? This is the idea that we spend time helping others out of their poverty or helping a group of people to better their life through education or health.
Laurens

Re: Buddha and the CNN Hero Awards

Post by Laurens »

Caring for and helping others is very much supported by the Buddha. Although in Buddhism its not what you give, its the nature of the gift. A small gift given selflessly is better than a large gift given selfishly.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

What would be the nature of the gift given in Buddhism?
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Well I guess it would be a gift given with a pure heart. Its hard to state the specifics, but basically a gift given out of a geniune wish to make other beings well and happy, rather than a gift to get your name on a plaque on the wall.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

And don't forget the quality of the merit generated is directly related to the spiritual development of the receiver. Other than that though, the Lord Buddha advised us to give where we feel inspired. Simple as that. May you be well, happy and peaceful! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
Emi

Post by Emi »

In my opinion, The Dhamma is the purest gift the human race has received; surely 'passing on' it's words to others is the greatest gift, or act of charity, of all? :namaste:
"When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around."
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

Well I guess it would be a gift given with a pure heart. Its hard to state the specifics, but basically a gift given out of a geniune wish to make other beings well and happy, rather than a gift to get your name on a plaque on the wall.

If you had listened to the award show you would know that these individuals did it not for a plaque, which they did not expect, but out of love for mankind. They were all very humble in accepting the gift.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

fragrant herbs wrote: If you had listened to the award show you would know that these individuals did it not for a plaque, which they did not expect, but out of love for mankind. They were all very humble in accepting the gift.
Sorry I wasn't commenting on the show (I had not seen it) just merely providing an explaination for you. I don't doubt the intentions of the people on that show.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Boris

Post by Boris »

The welfare of oneself should not be neglected for the welfare of others, however great; recognizing the welfare of oneself, one should be devoted to one's own welfare. (Dhammapada 166)
How do you understand this teaching?
The man who wants to avoid grotesque collapses should not look for anything to fulfill him in space and time.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

oh, sorry Laurens.

How do I understand what the dhammapada says?

I am not really sure. I do believe in taking care of the welfare of oneself, but I also believe that we should help others by way of charity works.
cooran

Post by cooran »

boris wrote:
The welfare of oneself should not be neglected for the welfare of others, however great; recognizing the welfare of oneself, one should be devoted to one's own welfare. (Dhammapada 166)
How do you understand this teaching?
Hello Boris,

This is what it means:

STRIVE FOR YOUR SPIRITUAL WELFARE
10. For the sake of others' welfare, however great, let not one neglect one's own welfare.3
Clearly perceiving one's own welfare, let one be intent on one's own goal. 166.
Story
As the Buddha was about to pass away His disciples flocked from far and near to pay their last respects to Him. A monk named Attadattha instead of joining them, retired to his cell and meditated. The other monks reported this matter to the Buddha. When questioned as to his conduct. the monk replied. "Lord, as you would be passing away three months hence I thought the best way to honour you would be by attaining Arahantship during your lifetime itself." The Buddha praised him for his exemplary conduct and remarked that one's spiritual welfare should not be abandoned for the sake of others.

3 Here "welfare" denotes one's ultimate goal, i.e., Nibbàna. Personal sanctification should not be sacrificed for the sake of external homage.
One must not misunderstand this verse to mean that one should not selflessly work for the weal of others. Selfless service is highly commended by the Buddha.

http://home.nethere.net/dsparks/narada/ ... 0Vagga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Boris

Post by Boris »

One must not misunderstand this verse to mean that one should not selflessly work for the weal of others. Selfless service is highly commended by the Buddha.
But what does it mean selfless service. Selfkess in a sense without attavadupadana?
The man who wants to avoid grotesque collapses should not look for anything to fulfill him in space and time.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Chris for your contribution containing Narada Thera's translation and story behind the Dhammapada verse.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Boris,
boris wrote:
But what does it mean selfless service. Selfkess in a sense without attavadupadana?
I presume he just means "selfless" in the normal sense of the word: doing things without expecting personal gain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Boris

Post by Boris »

I presume he just means "selfless" in the normal sense of the word: doing things without expecting personal gain.
That is to help others before I can really help them. Of course doing things without expecting personal gain is very praiseworthy, however under delusion of self we cannot help much. Only on very gross level.

Nicolás Gómez Dávila