Can tinnitus be used as a meditation object?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Twilight

Re: Can tinnitus be used as a meditation object?

Post by Twilight »

No, do not use it as a meditation object or it will increase. Do not focus on it. This is medical advice I am giving not meditation advice. This is what medics say and it is normal to be so.
You'll have a better chance finding a moderate rebel in Ildib than finding a buddhist who ever changed his views. Views are there to be clung to. They are there to be defended with all one's might. Whatever clinging one will removed in regards to sense pleasures by practicing the path - that should be compensated with increased clinging to views. This is the fundamental balance of the noble 8thfold path. The yin and yang.
----------
Consciousness and no-self explained in drawings: link
How stream entry is achieved. Mahasi / Zen understanding vs Sutta understanding: link
Digity

Post by Digity »

Yeah, I agree. Best to practice ignoring it, blocking it out. That's why I run the fan when I sleep to create white noise so I don't notice it. If I laid in bed focusing on it that'd be a bad idea.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

My tinnitus has not improved at all.
Even when I write this I can hear it very loud and clear but it does not bother me at all.
It is just another noise for me.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Digity

Post by Digity »

SarathW wrote:My tinnitus has not improved at all.
Even when I write this I can hear it very loud and clear but it does not bother me at all.
It is just another noise for me.
Actually, I don't think mine has really improved. What's improved is my reaction to it. I've just learned to ignore it.
Twilight

Post by Twilight »

If one constantly pays attention to it or worse, intentionally focus on it for long period of time, then one will become more sensitive to it and notice it better. This is why it is not recommended to pay attention to pain for example, and same is with tinitus. By the way, I have it too. It's pretty common.
You'll have a better chance finding a moderate rebel in Ildib than finding a buddhist who ever changed his views. Views are there to be clung to. They are there to be defended with all one's might. Whatever clinging one will removed in regards to sense pleasures by practicing the path - that should be compensated with increased clinging to views. This is the fundamental balance of the noble 8thfold path. The yin and yang.
----------
Consciousness and no-self explained in drawings: link
How stream entry is achieved. Mahasi / Zen understanding vs Sutta understanding: link
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is why it is not recommended to pay attention to pain for example, and same is with tinitus.
It will be a problem only if you notice pain with aversion.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”