Nibbana as a dhamma in Classical Theravāda

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Twilight

Re: Nibbana as a dhamma in Classical Theravāda

Post by Twilight »

I have just read B. Sujato case for vegetarianism and I do not agree with it. As expected, he is not stupid and makes a good case while also mentioning all the uncomfortable facts about his case. Problem is that kamma is not an ethical moral code. It has nothing to do with ethics, it is just a law that works like the law of gravity. For example kiling an animal produces negative kamma because it develops/strenthens a tendency in the human that does the killing. If one just eats meat without personally killing the animal, it brings no bad kamma to him.

Simillary, been a butcher is one of the worst jobs to have in terms of negative kamma. If kamma would have anything to do with ethics, this would not be so because the person just has a normal job that somebody has to do. But kamma is not an ethical code, it is just a law like the law of gravity. The person develops bad tendencies if he kills other living beings. Kamma is therefore unfair and unethical sometimes.

The reason Buddha gave those rules for monks about trying not to step on insects etc. is for them to develop a tendency of caring about other beings. This produces good kamma/tendencies. They are not there as some rigid ethical rules. And that is why there is no rule about monks not eating meat. That would produce bad kamma/tendencies because of refusing a gift.
There are some things that the scriptures simply get wrong. The Suttas make no critique of slavery, for example, and yet for us this is one of the most heinous of all crimes.
I also smell some idealism in B. Sujato too giving this paragraph. I'm a little surprise giving his good understanding of dhamma.

So there are things I do not agree about Sujato too. And I also have things I don't agree with from B. Bhodi such as his involvement into politics. I am sure there are opinions of mine about wordly matters that many would disagree with. But I consider both B.Bhodi and B.Sujato very knowledgeable when it comes to the dhamma.

PS: An how can you, a fan of idealist Thanissaro be against this idealist position of Sujato ? :mrgreen:
You'll have a better chance finding a moderate rebel in Ildib than finding a buddhist who ever changed his views. Views are there to be clung to. They are there to be defended with all one's might. Whatever clinging one will removed in regards to sense pleasures by practicing the path - that should be compensated with increased clinging to views. This is the fundamental balance of the noble 8thfold path. The yin and yang.
----------
Consciousness and no-self explained in drawings: link
How stream entry is achieved. Mahasi / Zen understanding vs Sutta understanding: link
spacenick

Post by spacenick »

Twilight wrote:I have just read B. Sujato case for vegetarianism and I do not agree with it. As expected, he is not stupid and makes a good case while also mentioning all the uncomfortable facts about his case. Problem is that kamma is not an ethical moral code. It has nothing to do with ethics, it is just a law that works like the law of gravity. For example kiling an animal produces negative kamma because it develops/strenthens a tendency in the human that does the killing. If one just eats meat without personally killing the animal, it brings no bad kamma to him.
Agree in essence. I'll just add that killing an animal produces negative kamma not because it strengthens the tendency to do so again in the future (which is more known as conditioning habits, or setting up the underlying tendency of the mind, which is closely related to kamma but not exactly the same thing), but because acting with the intention of causing pain returns to the 'sender' in the form of pain (however since the form in which you 'receive' the fruits of kamma that can be changed, it is not 1 for 1, but dependent on the current state of mind. The return of killing an animal can be experienced as hell for an eon, or as a headache).
Simillary, been a butcher is one of the worst jobs to have in terms of negative kamma. If kamma would have anything to do with ethics, this would not be so because the person just has a normal job that somebody has to do. But kamma is not an ethical code, it is just a law like the law of gravity. The person develops bad tendencies if he kills other living beings. Kamma is therefore unfair and unethical sometimes.
Agree again and I always use the simile of the law of gravity too.
The reason Buddha gave those rules for monks about trying not to step on insects etc. is for them to develop a tendency of caring about other beings. This produces good kamma/tendencies. They are not there as some rigid ethical rules. And that is why there is no rule about monks not eating meat. That would produce bad kamma/tendencies because of refusing a gift.
There are some things that the scriptures simply get wrong. The Suttas make no critique of slavery, for example, and yet for us this is one of the most heinous of all crimes.
I also smell some idealism in B. Sujato too giving this paragraph. I'm a little surprise giving his good understanding of dhamma.

So there are things I do not agree about Sujato too. And I also have things I don't agree with from B. Bhodi such as his involvement into politics. I am sure there are opinions of mine about wordly matters that many would disagree with. But I consider both B.Bhodi and B.Sujato very knowledgeable when it comes to the dhamma.

PS: An how can you, a fan of idealist Thanissaro be against this idealist position of Sujato ? :mrgreen:
Let me just isolate one sentence here that is crucial to me:
is for them to develop a tendency of caring about other beings
This is where you and many others (including Bhikkhu Bodhi & Ven. Sujato) go into Mahayana mode. This is Mara talking. The Dhamma is not set up to care about other beings. In fact, the destiny of others is a matter of indifference. If we can help others in the process, good. And by the way, the best way to help them is to show by example: which is why the Buddha always praised seclusion & living remotely, not entangled in wordly affairs. Remember that the Buddha praised a monk (forgot his name) that was practicing while the Buddha was dying. He praised seclusion & non-entanglement again and again and again..

Do you get it? Every time you 'buy into' the illusion that your senses offer, Mara has a grip. 'Caring about other beings' is buying into the illusion. The Buddha sets up all these rules not to care about other beings, but because causing bad kamma by killing insects and other things returns in the form of negative energy and that is a hindrance to liberation.

The main goal of the Dhamma is to let go of the world. If my words are shocking, good! The True Dhamma goes against the stream of the world, the stream of craving.

I am not particularly a fan of Thanissaro, even though I usually agree with him more than with the Australian crew. I just think what he's pointing at (and what Gotama is pointing at) is misunderstood because it is intellectually extremely difficult to conceptualize anything outside of nama/rupa+consciousness. There's no way that Thanissaro 'believes' in the Eternal Self thing.

I will link again the discussion which is to me the highest intellectual exposition on Nibbana and vinnanam anidassam I've come across: http://obo.genaud.net/dhammatalk/dhamma ... n-made.htm
theY

Post by theY »

Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Twilight wrote:Oh boy. Good old idealist Thanissaro, still believing in a self and in nibbana as a realm or some form of infinite consciousness... Completely ignoring the whole pali canon in favor of a wrong interpretation of an obscure verse.
These are very harsh and shocking allegations. I don't agree with all the details of Ajahn Thanissaro's presentation of Nibbana, but that is a total caricature. Ajahn Thanissaro is one of the most quick to criticize other presentations of Buddhism for straying into 'atman' territory, and he regards Nibbana as a state in which consciousness has abandoned all objects, not as a state in which it is absorbed in a perception of consciousness.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
theY

Post by theY »

This forum have many topic of nibbana. So I make a new topic, that covered all topic. See:
http://unmixedtheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... e-you.html
Last edited by theY on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
Twilight

Post by Twilight »

@spacenick: I agree and good point. Compassion, wisdom, mindfulness etc. are qualities that help towards the goal. They are what is called "a raft" that helps one reach the goal. They are developed for the purpose of attaining a goal. In the end, they will cease to exist too. Compassion as a quality that is to be developed in a person, does not require or imply attachment. In some cases such as relatives it is linked with attachment, in other cases such as strangers it is not.

@Bakmoon: I agree Thanissaro is a knowledgeable guy. This is why I still don't understand him. He simply had not understood how the aggregates work. He has not understood the main idea. As you say, he believs nibbana is some form of consciousness that has abandoned all objects. Name you however poetic you want, but "consciousness that has abandoned all objects" is a thing that exists and is even an aggregate.

The suttas could not be more clear, could not stress more, could not clarify the situation more: There is no consciousness or anything else in Nibbana. For crying out loud - consciousness is one of the aggregates and nibbana is the end of existence of these 5 aggregates. There are so many suttas where consciousness is explained:
https://justpaste.it/p6gg

This is also listed in the wrong view section. He has clinging to consciousness. He has not understood consciousness. It is one of the most difficult things to understand from the the fundamental doctrine or the 5 aggregates. But I find it strange how a famous bhikkhu, admonished by other famous bhikkhus in debates about the problem, still continues to hold this view.

PS: May I ask a tricky question to those holding Thanissaro view ? Well: To whom does this consciousness that has abandoned all objects belong to ?
You'll have a better chance finding a moderate rebel in Ildib than finding a buddhist who ever changed his views. Views are there to be clung to. They are there to be defended with all one's might. Whatever clinging one will removed in regards to sense pleasures by practicing the path - that should be compensated with increased clinging to views. This is the fundamental balance of the noble 8thfold path. The yin and yang.
----------
Consciousness and no-self explained in drawings: link
How stream entry is achieved. Mahasi / Zen understanding vs Sutta understanding: link
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Twilight wrote:But I find it strange how a famous bhikkhu, admonished by other famous bhikkhus in debates about the problem, still continues to hold this view.
He may or he may not continue to hold those views AFAIK. Those ATI pages were written quite a few years back and his views may have changed. Does anyone who has actually interacted with Ven. Thanissaro recently know if he talks about these views? Either way, I find it unlikely they play a big role in his teaching.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Twilight wrote:@spacenick: I agree and good point. Compassion, wisdom, mindfulness etc. are qualities that help towards the goal. They are what is called "a raft" that helps one reach the goal. They are developed for the purpose of attaining a goal. In the end, they will cease to exist too. Compassion as a quality that is to be developed in a person, does not require or imply attachment. In some cases such as relatives it is linked with attachment, in other cases such as strangers it is not.

@Bakmoon: I agree Thanissaro is a knowledgeable guy. This is why I still don't understand him. He simply had not understood how the aggregates work. He has not understood the main idea. As you say, he believs nibbana is some form of consciousness that has abandoned all objects. Name you however poetic you want, but "consciousness that has abandoned all objects" is a thing that exists and is even an aggregate.

The suttas could not be more clear, could not stress more, could not clarify the situation more: There is no consciousness or anything else in Nibbana. For crying out loud - consciousness is one of the aggregates and nibbana is the end of existence of these 5 aggregates. There are so many suttas where consciousness is explained:
https://justpaste.it/p6gg

This is also listed in the wrong view section. He has clinging to consciousness. He has not understood consciousness. It is one of the most difficult things to understand from the the fundamental doctrine or the 5 aggregates. But I find it strange how a famous bhikkhu, admonished by other famous bhikkhus in debates about the problem, still continues to hold this view.

PS: May I ask a tricky question to those holding Thanissaro view ? Well: To whom does this consciousness that has abandoned all objects belong to ?
Was there an actual debate between Ven. T and another Bhikkhu regarding this issue, or do you mean he's been debated metaphorically and indirectly on various internet venues?

I don't want to derail this thread, and I certainly don't pretend to have any definitive answers regarding "consciousness in Nibbana," but its worth nothing that even restricting our purview to Theravada the views of Ven. Nanananda and Professor Peter Harvey fall into the same qualitative field as his in this regard (yes there are some distinctions), and there are probably others (Ajahn Amaro, Ajahn Sumedho, etc, I'm less in a position to be specific in these cases if asked for examples, just a Gestalt). There are threads that are quite specific to this question already in existence and I guess further discussion would be best directed there. I'm happy to engage in this conversation there or in PM as I find it interesting and don't have a hard position on it either way! :hug:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Without wanting to get into the actual debate, a sort of true-self/eternalistic thing does seem quite prevalent among Thai Forest Ajahns:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... =80#p57673
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=23338

Ajahn Thanissaro seems to be part of that milieu.

:anjali:
Mike
spacenick

Post by spacenick »

Twilight wrote: PS: May I ask a tricky question to those holding Thanissaro view ? Well: To whom does this consciousness that has abandoned all objects belong to ?
This question does not apply.

The aggregate of consciousness specifically pertains to the consciousness bound to nama/rupa. An individualized, personalized, own-made consciousness. It is a consciousness that arises as a result of a previous consciousness identified with name & form (a 'being'). Thinking of an Eternal Self or the Bodhi Mind and all that is still having a consciousness bound to nama/rupa (which can be formless). This is not what Thanissaro and Gotama are saying.

And it is exactly why there's a distinction with the 'not down-bound' (anidassanam) consciousness, which is the nature of Nibbana. It is a type of consciousness that hasn't been own-made, therefore doesn't exist, therefore cannot die. If you run into an arahant one day, even though you might see him move and talk and all that; he doesn't exist.
http://obo.genaud.net/dhammatalk/dhammatalk_forum/dhamma_talk/dt_009.conditioned.vs.own-made.htm wrote: Consciousness of consciousness free from consciousness with an existing thing as it's object.
Not annihilation. What is annihilated is the own-made.
Not: No Consciousness. No consciousness as an individual.
Not: Having attained an awakened consciousness. Having created by eradicating own-making, the conditions necessary for consciousness of an awakened consciousness.
atipattoh

Post by atipattoh »

The link you provide
mention
there does not exist any consciousness that is stable.
Consciousness that has not been own-made, that has not been fueled by lust for form, sense-experience, perception, own-making or consciousness, has not come into existence, is un-stuck, stuck only on freedom from being stuck, and is a name for Nibbana.
can help to expend your understanding on Nibbana statement above especially the bold remark?
Just curious. Thanks!

Oh btw, if i'm not mistaken, in one of BB's talk, there was one question on non-self not-self & no-self, his answer (obscurely made) seems to be of the same camp with BT.
spacenick

Post by spacenick »

atipattoh wrote:The link you provide
mention
there does not exist any consciousness that is stable.
Consciousness that has not been own-made, that has not been fueled by lust for form, sense-experience, perception, own-making or consciousness, has not come into existence, is un-stuck, stuck only on freedom from being stuck, and is a name for Nibbana.
can help to expend your understanding on Nibbana statement above especially the bold remark?
Just curious. Thanks!

Oh btw, if i'm not mistaken, in one of BB's talk, there was one question on non-self not-self & no-self, his answer (obscurely made) seems to be of the same camp with BT.
This is almost a Zen-like statement. This is the kind of stuff you take into contemplation. Nibbana is defined as non-greed, non-hatred, non-delusion. This is basically what he's saying; the Nibbanic mind is free from being stuck in craving, being, existing, which inevitably leads to suffering. The liberated mind then never 'moves' from this unlimited freedom because it knows (vijja) the consequences of doing so (dukkha).

If you have practiced for some time (which I assume you have since you are on this forum), then you must start to perceive the nature of release. It isn't a thing, but closer to a 'non-thing'. You know it's like when you catch yourself rambling in obsessive thinking but suddenly you snap out of it. You get released from it, you are free from it. In that very moment of snapping out, it isn't a pleasant sensation per se; but it is a complete detachment (snapping out) from dukkha. Sure, following that, the untrained mind will delight in that which is another form of attachment. But in that split second of letting go there's freedom.

We experience mini-instances of Nibbana all the time, we are just not aware of it* because we do not understand the nature of freedom (the underlying tendency to ignorance). We want eternal bliss, or pleasant sensations. It is only when we truly let go of any hope to find that in any of the 5 aggregates (the world, or the 6 senses) that there's a possibility to open up to true peace.

*And it is why the 'real thing' is to actually become conscious of this freedom, of this possibility. This is also why he uses that redundant formulation (consciousness of consciousness free from consciousness bound to nama/rupa). It has to be made conscious and then train the mind to abide more and more in freedom. In my sense, arahantship is attained when the mind never ever moves again from that freedom. "Ananda, I abide in the fullness of emptiness" (MN 121)
Last edited by spacenick on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
atipattoh

Post by atipattoh »

Thanks!
Perhaps if you don't hold on to
"stuck only on freedom from being stuck", you may have freedom from "stuck only on freedom from being stuck"

spacenick

Post by spacenick »

atipattoh wrote:Thanks!
Perhaps if you don't hold on to
"stuck only on freedom from being stuck", you may have freedom from "stuck only on freedom from being stuck"

Haha, yeah! Well I think this is when we reach the limit of intellectualization, and that the wise ones understand that it's about shutting up & sitting quietly ;'p
atipattoh

Post by atipattoh »

spacenick wrote: Haha, yeah! Well I think this is when we reach the limit of intellectualization, and that the wise ones understand that it's about shutting up & sitting quietly ;'p
:mrgreen: