What is the future of Dhamma Wheel

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
SarathW

What is the future of Dhamma Wheel

Post by SarathW »

We have seen many Dhamma discussion groups and websites shut down after some time.
This can be a great loss to the Dhamma community.
Closure of access to insight is a good example. Thankfully the owner was kind enough to leave it as a open source.
What is the future of Dhamma Wheel.
Will one day we wake up and all Kalyanamittas disappeared without a trace?

http://www.lionsroar.com/after-ten-year ... huts-down/
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
retrofuturist

Re: What is the future of Dhamma Wheel

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,

David has every intention to keep the forum running as long as possible, and if/when he's unable to do so in the future for any reason "the plan is to place DW in a non-profit with a board of directors and where costs for maintaining the site would have to come from members".

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:bow:

Thanks again, David!

:namaste:
Kim
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I asked a similar question in Sutta Central.
Interesting discussion so far.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/wh ... al/3835/14
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

SarathW wrote:We have seen many Dhamma discussion groups and websites shut down after some time.
Closure of access to insight is a good example. Thankfully the owner was kind enough to leave it as a open source.

From the link my highlight:
“We’ve been teaching for several years. Recently we decided that the direction we wanted to take our teaching was outside of the Buddhist framework, so it just made sense to start a new project that reflected that,”
How sad.

Smile
Dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Wonder why that direction changed.
Is that due to management change?
For example if Dhamma Wheel have a new management they will decide to scrap it.
Perhaps some thing similar must have happened to Myspace.
I know a young person spent thousand of hours building her friend base disappointed when it collapsed.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote:Wonder why that direction changed.
Is that due to management change?
For example if Dhamma Wheel have a new management they will decide to scrap it.
Perhaps some thing similar must have happened to Myspace.
I know a young person spent thousand of hours building her friend base disappointed when it collapsed.
Here are some ideas I have so far for trying to ensure DW and related sites remain with a Buddhist focus:

* Only members with at least 1,000 posts can vote for the board of directors. That way, it avoids the potential for someone creating lots of fake accounts for the purpose of electing someone (or oneself) not devoted to the current mission and purpose.

* A board of about 3 to 9 members elected, with at least one being a monk or nun, at least one that has computer tech skills and at least one to be the treasurer making sure all bills are paid, processing donations, etc.

Initial by-laws could be written with the above language.

These are just some preliminary ideas that would have to be worked out when the time comes, but I think that may help in maintaining the site and keeping the Buddhist focus, for hopefully a very long time.
binocular

Post by binocular »

SarathW wrote:What is the future of Dhamma Wheel.
Not rarely, online interactions are low-efficacy, low-committment, low-quality. From that perspective, it would actually help to shut down various online Buddhist establishments.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Javi

Post by Javi »

dhammarelax wrote:
SarathW wrote:We have seen many Dhamma discussion groups and websites shut down after some time.

“We’ve been teaching for several years. Recently we decided that the direction we wanted to take our teaching was outside of the Buddhist framework, so it just made sense to start a new project that reflected that,”
How sad.

Smile
Dhammarelax
They decided to start a business selling meditation instruction:
http://courses.meditate.io/

Having religious terms like "Buddhist" can scare silicon valley people away so it makes sense for them.

Everyone's gotta eat right?
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

Javi wrote:
dhammarelax wrote:

How sad.

Smile
Dhammarelax
They decided to start a business selling meditation instruction:
http://courses.meditate.io/

Having religious terms like "Buddhist" can scare silicon valley people away so it makes sense for them.

Everyone's gotta eat right?
AN 5.159 About Udayin (my highlight)

“…It’s not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when five qualities are establihed within the person teaching. Which five?
“[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak step-by-step.’
“[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].’
“[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak out of compassion.’
“[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.’
“[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, ‘I will speak without hurting myself or others.’
“It’s not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when these five qualities are establihed within the person teaching.”
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
Javi

Post by Javi »

Yeah well they are just taking stuff from Buddhism they like (mostly meditation). They're not really teaching dharma in that website.

To each their own I guess, there are many who practice meditation secularly and outside of the Buddhist context.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

there are many who practice meditation secularly and outside of the Buddhist context.
Agree.
I got a book for my Christmas present titled "The Meditation Bible". (one of my friend knew that I am in to Meditation)
It is a good book which covers reasonable well about breath meditation etc.
However it covers area like.

"Meditation is simply making a choice to focus your mind on something. In fact,reading a book is a form of meditation, as is watching a movie or advertising on TV. Thinking about your argument with your spouse this morning and the pile of work awaiting you at the office as you drive to work is meditation. Listening to a CD is meditation. Focusing carefully on which bunch of bananas to buy is a form of meditation."

:focus:

What Buddha taught was the right concentration. (Samma Samadhi)
i.e Concentration gained by following Noble Eightfold Path.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Can we preserve the Buddha's teaching for another 5000 years?
Perhaps we can. It seem the technology is now available.

http://panasonic.net/history/timecapsule/