If there was no Theravada, which tradition would you pick?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Dugu

If there was no Theravada, which tradition would you pick?

Post by Dugu »

Just curious which tradition would you guys have pick if there was no Theravada. :smile:
BudSas

Re: If there was no Theravada, which tradition would you pick?

Post by BudSas »

Dugu wrote:Just curious which tradition would you guys have pick if there was no Theravada. :smile:
Any "tradition" which respects and encourages us to practice the Noble Eightfold Path would be acceptable.

... the Blessed One said, "In any doctrine & discipline where the noble eightfold path is not found, no contemplative of the first... second... third... fourth order [stream-winner, once-returner, non-returner, or arahant] is found. But in any doctrine & discipline where the noble eightfold path is found, contemplatives of the first... second... third... fourth order are found. The noble eightfold path is found in this doctrine & discipline, and right here there are contemplatives of the first... second... third... fourth order. Other teachings are empty of knowledgeable contemplatives. And if the monks dwell rightly, this world will not be empty of arahants."
(Mahaparinibbana Sutta, DN 16, trans. Bhikkhu Thanissaro)

BDS
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

(Old school) Ch'an or Zen.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i started in zen, and was quite happy there, i only ended up in theravada because i had a ticket to thailand and decided to use my time there visiting and living in temples... so if no theravada then it'd still be zen
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
EricJ

Post by EricJ »

Well, I am not "officially" Theravadin (yet), but I will give my opinion anyway.

Probably Tibetan or Shingon. Vajrayana seems to have quite an array of meditative practices, both samatha and vipassana, which appeal to me more than the single practice methods of Chan/Zen or the pure devotionalism of Pure Land/Nichiren. I must admit that I also find the rituals, philosophy and theories behind tantric practice pretty captivating.
I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.- Gandhi

With persistence aroused for the highest goal's attainment, with mind unsmeared, not lazy in action, firm in effort, with steadfastness & strength arisen, wander alone like a rhinoceros.

Not neglecting seclusion, absorption, constantly living the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma, comprehending the danger in states of becoming, wander alone like a rhinoceros.
- Snp. 1.3
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sautrāntika
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

jcsuperstar wrote:i started in zen, and was quite happy there, i only ended up in theravada because i had a ticket to thailand and decided to use my time there visiting and living in temples... so if no theravada then it'd still be zen
How long were you in Zen? And what was it about Theravada that made you switch? :smile:
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Tibetan Bon Dzogchen.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Vardali

Post by Vardali »

Anyrhing with a strong focus on the teachings with no frills.
Rituals and guru "worship" are a bit of a turnoff for me.
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Heedless hedonism.
If there was no Theravada I wouldnt bother. For me its the only logical coherent approach to life.

I am aware that other alternatives are on offer.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
cooran

Post by cooran »

I would have remained an ardent practising Christian (Anglican).
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

Sanghamitta wrote:Heedless hedonism.
If there was no Theravada I wouldnt bother. For me its the only logical coherent approach to life.

I am aware that other alternatives are on offer.
Sometimes I feel like I'm a hedonist trying my best to be Theravadan. :lol: So the other tradition does not appeal to you?
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Yogācāra I guess. Not that I know anything about it.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

BlackBird wrote:Yogācāra I guess. Not that I know anything about it.

metta
Jack
A good, accurate description can be found in R Gethin's FOUNDATION OF BUDDHISM.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Dugu

Post by Dugu »

Chris wrote:I would have remained an ardent practising Christian (Anglican).
Really Chris? That's interesting. I just assume everyone would pick a different Buddhist Tradition.