Hindrance

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Hindrance

Post by bodom »

In the early morning whether meditating or not i, i always feel the need to cough or clear my throat. I think this is a holdover from my old smoking days. Now i do meditate early in the morning and always struggle with the feeling of needing to cough and to clear my throat. My question is whether i should just be mindful of the intention to cough and be mindful of the whole process of coughing and swallowing, or just watch the urge to cough and swallow arise and pass without acting on them? Im pretty good about being able to sit through moderate pain and discomfort without moving and just wathing it all pass but it just seems to be this one area im struggling with right now. Thank you.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Dhammanando

Re: Hindrance

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Bodom,

I suggest that you have a good coughing and throat-clearing session beforehand, perhaps followed by a swig of water, and then restrain yourself during the sitting. As the bhikkhus of old restrained themselves:

"Again, venerable sir, being a head-anointed noble king, I am able to have executed those who should be executed, to fine those who should be fined, to exile those who should be exiled. Yet when I am sitting in council, they break in and interrupt me. Though I say: ‘Gentlemen, do not break in and interrupt me when I am sitting in council; wait till the end of my speech,’ still they break in and interrupt me. But here I see bhikkhus while the Blessed One is teaching the Dhamma to an assembly of several hundred followers and then there is not even the sound of a disciple of the Blessed One coughing or clearing his throat. Once the Blessed One was teaching the Dhamma to an assembly of several hundred followers and there a disciple of his cleared his throat. Thereupon one of his companions in the holy life nudged him with his knee to indicate: ‘Be quiet, venerable sir, make no noise; the Blessed One, the Teacher, is teaching us the Dhamma.’ I thought: ‘It is wonderful, it is marvellous how an assembly can be so well disciplined without force or weapon!’ Indeed, I do not see any other assembly elsewhere so well disciplined. This too, venerable sir, is why I infer according to Dhamma about the Blessed One: ‘The Blessed One is fully enlightened, the Dhamma is well proclaimed by the Blessed One, the Sangha of the Blessed One’s disciples is practising the good way.’"
(Dhammacetiya Sutta, MN. 89)

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Thank you Bhante! :bow: :bow: :bow: I will follow your advice.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi BBB
I have a neti pot (nasal irrigation) I use from time to time, as the whole area is connected maybe something along this lines may be a long term solution as It clears any gunk in the Sinuses which may be causing irritation and a need to cough :shrug:
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Manapa wrote:Hi BBB
I have a neti pot (nasal irrigation) I use from time to time, as the whole area is connected maybe something along this lines may be a long term solution as It clears any gunk in the Sinuses which may be causing irritation and a need to cough :shrug:
Thanks for the recommendation. I have seen them at the store and always wondered if they work.

- BB
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

i started (tonight) drinking ginger tea, a friend of my mother's doctor told her to drink it for sinus and breathing problems, no idea how it'll go yet...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
bodom

Post by bodom »

jcsuperstar wrote:i started (tonight) drinking ginger tea, a friend of my mother's doctor told her to drink it for sinus and breathing problems, no idea how it'll go yet...
Never heard of it. Let me know how it works for ya.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

Bhante Dhammanando i have followed your advice and restrained myself from coughing and throat clearing while sitting. It is really amazing to watch these impulses come up and pass away. From this my past few sittings have gone very well with increased concentration due to the restraint. I have one further question. I tend to produce a lote of saliva which causes me to want to swallow. Should i apply the same restraint to swallowing as i do to coughing and throat clearing? The swallowing is not as course as the coughing and doesnt seem to disturb my concentration if i mindfully observe it. Still i would like to know what you recommend. Im sorry for the repeated questions but i am one who needs to be told exactly what to do so that i know i am on the right path. Thank you. :bow: :bow: :bow:

- BB
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Bodom,
bodom_bad_boy wrote:Should i apply the same restraint to swallowing as i do to coughing and throat clearing?
No, you should just swallow it, unless you want to drown or have the saliva dribbling down your chin. :?

Dogen's advice to keep the tongue against the palate, with the tip of the tongue resting against the back of the top teeth, will both reduce the quantity of saliva and make the swallowing of it fairly effortless.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
bodom

Post by bodom »

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Bodom,
bodom_bad_boy wrote: No, you should just swallow it, unless you want to drown or have the saliva dribbling down your chin. :?
Haha. If you wouldnt have told me otherwise i probobly wouldve let it get to that point. Thank you Bhante.

- BB