Is this procrastination...or what is it?

Discussion of Abhidhamma and related Commentaries
Myotai

Is this procrastination...or what is it?

Post by Myotai »

I am looking to establish exactly what the mental process is that stops me 'committing' to a particular practice.

The timeline seems to be, find a practice/tradition/Sangha....immerse myself 100%....then start to feel the grass is somehow greener...then get cold feet and feel I have to move into another.

Its a repetitive and now irritating process that has been there for decades now.

Though on a positive note I never allow it to stop me practising. Its the colour of the practice that changes and its bvery uncomfortable!

Thanks in advance!

M...
Caodemarte

Re: Is this procrastination...or what is it?

Post by Caodemarte »

My ill informed advice is: Do not quickly join anything. Take your time. Don't immerse yourself in anything, except patiently, calmly, and firmly in the act of practice while you are practicing. If you are too enthusiastic about the other stuff and cultutal accretions you may suffer a reaction or find that you are just entertaining yourself and grow bored. Step slowly in the water; don't seek the exotic.
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Caodemarte wrote:My ill informed advice is: Do not quickly join anything. Take your time. Don't immerse yourself in anything, except patiently, calmly, and firmly in the act of practice while you are practicing. If you are too enthusiastic about the other stuff and cultutal accretions you may suffer a reaction or find that you are just entertaining yourself and grow bored. Step slowly in the water; don't seek the exotic.
Thanks...thats really helpful. Though I suspect I might have waded in a little too soon into something already. Nothing sinister or anything. But I think the lesson is that I cannot actually commit to anything, because this is what happens.

Almost like falling in love, to the exclusion of all other women. Getting engaged to be married only weeks later to find your head turned by another woman.

Tricky!
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Myotai wrote:I am looking to establish exactly what the mental process is that stops me 'committing' to a particular practice.

The timeline seems to be, find a practice/tradition/Sangha....immerse myself 100%....then start to feel the grass is somehow greener...then get cold feet and feel I have to move into another.

Its a repetitive and now irritating process that has been there for decades now.

Though on a positive note I never allow it to stop me practising. Its the colour of the practice that changes and its bvery uncomfortable!

Thanks in advance!

M...
Hi M,

Do you find you do something similar (grass is always greener) in other areas of your life? Job, field of study, relationships, residence, etc.?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

I suggest that In terms of sanghas practice with several if available, not to flit around but to examine carefully over time. In any case, remember that there are no gold stars for blind belief in anything.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

In terms of mental process I'd say it's craving, aversion, and delusion.

There is also an assumption there that there is one perfect practice/teacher for you, I don't think that is the case for everybody, some people never settle down to one.

Also I'd say there is probably an assumption that the path is about technique or particular practices, it's not it's about the mind, it's good if you can find a framework that can be relied on to awaken the mind but the mind is still the mind whatever you do or however you practice, just work with the mind.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I am looking to establish exactly what the mental process is that stops me 'committing' to a particular practice.
Not having faith.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Mkoll wrote:
Myotai wrote:I am looking to establish exactly what the mental process is that stops me 'committing' to a particular practice.

Thanks in advance!

M...
Hi M,

Do you find you do something similar (grass is always greener) in other areas of your life? Job, field of study, relationships, residence, etc.?
Hi,

Thats a really interesting question. But no, I'm tediously loyal in all other areas of my life. Why do you ask?

M....
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

SarathW wrote:
Not having faith.
In?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Particular practice.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Myotai wrote:
Mkoll wrote:

Thanks in advance!

M...
Hi M,

Hi,

Thats a really interesting question. But no, I'm tediously loyal in all other areas of my life. Why do you ask?

M....
I asked because I guessed that it might be part of a pattern. But I guessed wrong! Here's are some ideas anyway, some mutually exclusive and some naturally combining with others. Hope something provides some food for thought.

1) Just forget about it, ignore it. It doesn't stop you from practicing and thus purifying your mind and that's what's important, isn't it?

2) Pay less attention to the distinctions between practices and more on what they have in common.

3) Recognize this is just your conditioning and don't make a problem of it, continuing to switch things up.

4) Recognize this is just your tendency and stick with one thing, knowing that you've conditioned yourself to look elsewhere. But this impulse will change and fade.

5) Reframe your switching things up in a more positive light. You're learning more about different traditions and practices and this can only be helpful in the long run.

6) Maybe you just haven't found the right thing that resonates with you? Keep looking.
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Thanks....some good advice there - I particularly like the idea of being conditioned - as it were!

:toast:
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

SarathW wrote:Particular practice.
Ah! :)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

No problem. And on that note are these wise words from Ajahn Chah (Collected Teachings, pp. 410-411).
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 4046 times
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (150.61 KiB) Viewed 4046 times
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Thanks so much or this!