Books by Bhikkhu Pesala

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Books by Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:21 am

I have updated The War on Error: Holy War in Buddhism for the 15th Anniversary of the notorious attack on the Twin Towers.

I added a section on the Virtues Needed by Leaders

1. The first virtue is tolerance (khamā).
  2. The second is energy (uṭṭhāna).
  3. Thirdly, comes vigilance or wakefulness (jāgariya).
  4. Fourth is distribution or sharing (saṃvibhāga).
  5. Fifthly, there is compassion or sympathy (dayā).
  6. The last virtue is foresight (ikkhanā).

Please start new threads if you have any questions, to keep this one on topic. Send me a PM if you want to report any broken links or typos in this one.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:14 am

I have just added An Exposition of the Ādittapariyāya Sutta to my list of books.

It is quite brief, as this well-known Fire Sermon is also quite brief.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:56 pm

I have just added An Exposition of the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta to my books. I have added some notes from the Commentary and the Visuddhimagga, plus my own comments.

mario92

Postby mario92 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:10 am

Thank you venerable i had been looking for an explanation of karma, and i found it. :thanks: :namaste:
I think karma is the first topic we should understand before starting in meditation.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:43 pm

I have added a PDF of the Jayamaṅgala Gāthā with some comments on the verses.

There is a discussion thread on these verses (now closed) with some useful references and comments. This YouTube Video is recommended for it's excellent pronunciation of the Pāḷi.

phpBB [video]

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:32 am

Tomorrow, the full-moon day of Thursday 12th January is the anniversary of the Buddha's Parinibbāna. If you want to know why it is tomorrow, and not in May, read my Exposition of the Mahāparinibbāna Sutta.

I updated it after fixing a few typos, and other minor edits. It still needs some more work, but that will have to wait for another day.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 pm

I have updated my Introduction to Kamma with some illustrations from the Canon (not relying on the Commentaries, of which there are many examples in the Dhammapada and Jātaka Commentaries).

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sat May 06, 2017 8:10 pm

My free host are migrating their members to a new server, so my website was down for a few days. It is working again now. If you come across any broken links please let me know by email: pesala at aimwell dot org.

My AIM Website Mirror site is nearly always available if you're looking for something and cannot connect to aimwell.org.

The DPPN site is now fully uploaded.

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”