Why is Mindfulness So Difficult ??

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mgm2010

Why is Mindfulness So Difficult ??

Post by mgm2010 »

I am a non-buddhist but I am avid reader and practitioner of buddhist scriptures. Since quite some time , an idea has been haunting me as to why, at all, it becomes so difficult for the mind to come to a single focus or to remain watchful of what is going on [ mindfulness ] ?? What is it in the fundamental structure of the mind that makes these activities so very difficult ?? Can it be that our evolution and survival so far has been based on the thought process ?? Hence the mind has been conditioned over billions of years to the thought process and is not able to mould itself to thoughtlessness or concentration or mindfulness(These terms I am using rather loosely).
2. Secondly, I am interested to know what does the buddhist scriptures have to say about
(a) Meditation before going to sleep
(b)Meditation during sleep ??
SarathW

Re: Why is Mindfulness So Difficult ??

Post by SarathW »

it becomes so difficult for the mind to come to a single focus or to remain watchful of what is going on [ mindfulness ] ??
If you undestand the standard Jhana definition you have the answer.
a) Seclusion
b) Free from unwholesome thoughts

So it is important that you observe at least the five precepts and practice Brahama Viharas.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mgm2010

Post by mgm2010 »

My query is more fundamental, in the sense that, for one-pointedness all these conditions have to adhered to whereas free flow of thoughts go on all by itself. Nobody has to tell us how to let the thoughts flow freely. Why is it so ??
How and Why has the mind got conditioned to free flow of thoughts to begin with ??
And now the mind is finding it difficult to de-condition itself from free flowing thoughts and get one-pointed ??
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

How and Why has the mind got conditioned to free flow of thoughts to begin with ??
These are called Anussaya (latent tendencies)
This is the say binary machine code of our mind.
The whole objective of Buddha dhamma ( say source code) is to re-programme this.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

mgm2010 wrote:My query is more fundamental, in the sense that, for one-pointedness all these conditions have to adhered to whereas free flow of thoughts go on all by itself. Nobody has to tell us how to let the thoughts flow freely. Why is it so ??
And now the mind is finding it difficult to de-condition itself from free flowing thoughts and get one-pointed ??
Water always flows downhill — that is its nature. Wise people build dams and reservoirs to make the water more useful to mankind.

The mind follows the easy downhill path unless it is restrained by mindfulness and concentration. Thus, if one has let it flow freely since childhood it has become defiled by greed, hatred, and delusion. That is why it is now hard to control.

Wise people practice mindfulness and develop concentration, restraining the mind from unwholesome thoughts of lust, anger, envy, meanness, and so on, thus making it more useful to themselves and others too.

The Mind
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Water always flows downhill
:goodpost:
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

mgm2010 wrote:...Since quite some time , an idea has been haunting me as to why, at all, it becomes so difficult for the mind to come to a single focus or to remain watchful of what is going on [ mindfulness ] ?? What is it in the fundamental structure of the mind that makes these activities so very difficult ??...
Just thinking with you: In terms of concentration, as we evolved as both predator and prey, too much single focus (on the hunt for example) could result in being prey. In terms of mindfulness of mind, most existential threats were from the outside, so scanning out there was more essential.

Even now, the default strategy for happiness and survival seems to be: approach the pleasant and avoid the unpleasant, reacting habitually to the changing phenomena presented to the senses. These are translated in the suttas as "underlying tendencies" which can be related to your "structure of the mind" idea. So, both concentration and mindfulness can be characterized as going against the stream.

I have also sometimes thought of humans as carrying the "us/them curse" -- knowing what is "us" and safe and what is "them" and threatening (be they other humans or animals) was/is adaptive to some degree, but it also leads to all sorts of cruelty that haunts our species. The curse inserts itself at micro and macro levels from family dynamics to international relations. Sadly, even the institutions that might counteract the curse (such as religions and other groups that try to counter the curse) often fall victim to it. I don't really believe in curses, but it is a strong metaphor (perhaps related to the "structure of the mind").
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Another explanation is that it is not difficult or easy, but made so by the ingrained habits of the mind. Remember the Buddha despairing because of all his wasted effort until he remembered easily falling into a jhana as a child? After that he got on the right path.

Look at people diving into a pool. Some tense up and get hurt. Some go in gracefully. It is not the diving which is diffult, but the mind which makes it so. It takes time and practice for people to learn to dive in a "naturally" relaxed fashion.

The lute cannot be strung too tightly or loosely. Now excuse me as I go tighten the strings and break them once again.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

most existential threats were from the outside, so scanning out there was more essential.
Good point.
Then why we like to talk, here or think about gossips?
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

SarathW wrote:
most existential threats were from the outside, so scanning out there was more essential.
Good point.
Then why we like to talk, here or think about gossips?
Talk/Gossip is "out there," and such talk may inform us of potential threats (and pleasures). So, listening could be good for our survival and sharing such talk may establish alliances for protection/survival. (I hope I understood your question correctly.) I am just speculating here along the lines of the OP's evolution of mental patterns that may run counter to mindfulness ("downhill" perhaps).
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think mind is like Google!
When you think some thing your mind present you with other similar (links) things.
It is no difference to surfing the net.
:rolleye:
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

mgm2010 wrote:My query is more fundamental, in the sense that, for one-pointedness all these conditions have to adhered to whereas free flow of thoughts go on all by itself. Nobody has to tell us how to let the thoughts flow freely. Why is it so ??
Why is it hot in summer and cold in winter? Zen question.
Knowing the how is more useful than the why.

"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This is the noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress'... 'This noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress is to be developed'... 'This noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress has been developed.'
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
rajitha7

Post by rajitha7 »

Please find an audio guide here ->

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwjp9K ... BGZFU/view

It helped me.
It's all -> here
whynotme

Post by whynotme »

Caodemarte wrote:Another explanation is that it is not difficult or easy, but made so by the ingrained habits of the mind. Remember the Buddha despairing because of all his wasted effort until he remembered easily falling into a jhana as a child? After that he got on the right path.

Look at people diving into a pool. Some tense up and get hurt. Some go in gracefully. It is not the diving which is diffult, but the mind which makes it so. It takes time and practice for people to learn to dive in a "naturally" relaxed fashion.

The lute cannot be strung too tightly or loosely. Now excuse me as I go tighten the strings and break them once again.
Very good point

Maybe because people doesn't jump into the right start, so it is very hard. Let's say 8 years old boy in elementary school wants to learn quantum physics, well it is very difficult since he did not develop his basics maths skill yet.

There are many times where the Buddha said the 8 fold path starts with right view, but people often jump right into meditation or mindfulness which is also a kind of meditation. They did not fully developed right view, i.e. there is wrong views in them, but they often think that is enough of right view, and let start meditation, so it is very hard to be mindfulness. Because wrong views lead to desires, which are obstacles of anykind of concentration. If people develop right view fully before anything else, then they will run straight to the arahantship easily.

The story of the Buddha is also a good example, because the Bodhisatta had wrong view, he wasted many years without any result. If he still grasped to those wrong view then in the next million of years he would hadn't achieved enlightenment.
Please stop following me
Jetavan

Post by Jetavan »

mgm2010 wrote:why, at all, it becomes so difficult for the mind to come to a single focus

Nothing focuses the mind like the Ultimate deadline: death.

There's an App for that: maranasati.