Samatha Meditation

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Slartibartfast

Samatha Meditation

Post by Slartibartfast »

http://www.samatha.org/meditation/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone else use this method? As you will know from posts on otehr forums I have very recently started training in this method. I think It is a little early to comment yet but I do feel a little more aware of things in the present. I have quite a journey ahead of me.

I am at the third stage, or third week and have had something new added each week, with an understanding that some practice should be done at home.

Stage 1 Longest Breath. Breathe in gently counting 1-9 and breathe out gently counting 9-1.
Stage 2 Longer Breath. Breathe in gently counting 1-6 and breathe out gently counting 6-1
Stage 3 Short breath. Breathe in gently counting 1-3, andbreathe out gently counting 3-1.

Always leave the meditation as you entered it, so move from 1-2-3-2-1. Acknowledge distractions mindfully and gently bring the concentration back to the breath.

Does anyone else have experience of this? It is a fairly basic technique, but then I think this is a good thing, because an overcomplication, certainly at this stage, would confuse and detract from teh meditation.
He who formerly was wreckless and afterwards became sober
brightens this world, like the moon when freed from clouds
bodom

Re: Samatha Meditation

Post by bodom »

I dont practice this particular technique but i do practice samatha/vipassana.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Element

Post by Element »

Hi Slartibartfast

What you described is an extremely common preliminary method in Theravada.

Kind regards,

Element
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Slartibartfast
I asked this on the other thread but as you have started this one which is more relevant to ask in I'll ask here also.
are you controling the breathing in this method?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
bodom

Post by bodom »

Manapa wrote:Hi Slartibartfast
I asked this on the other thread but as you have started this one which is more relevant to ask in I'll ask here also.
Kinda looks that way dont it? I would think counting 1-9 - 9-1 on each breath would be a little tiring for me personally. Maybe just the first few to get a "feel" for the breath.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

bodom_bad_boy wrote:
Kinda looks that way dont it? I would think counting 1-9 - 9-1 on each breath would be a little tiring for me personally. Maybe just the first few to get a "feel" for the breath.

It does!
I have come across similar methods and used a similar methods (see my link to a book in what method do you use), but this discription seams different!

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I hope people don't mind me repeating myself.

Yes, we do control the breath during this meditation. I think, however, at this stage the counting is just trying to get us used to the breathing technique. the breath is slow and gentle, even on the shortest breath but they vary in length according to the count. At the same time we don't over-inhale or over-exhale. We control the breath in a relaxed way.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I have never heard of controlling the breath in this techneque but I suppose it is the same idea as taking some deep breaths before starting?
keep us uptodate with the progress in the stages.

John Stuart Mill
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

It could be a mis understanding in my part of course, we haven't be directly instructed to control breathing however the counting suggests the length of breath to me, and it is not so controlled that we lose focus.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Hi Slartibartfast,
Slartibartfast wrote:It could be a mis understanding in my part of course, we haven't be directly instructed to control breathing however the counting suggests the length of breath to me, and it is not so controlled that we lose focus.
No, you haven't misunderstood. In Nai Boonman's method one begins with controlled breathing, then the controlling is later dropped.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
AdvaitaJ

Post by AdvaitaJ »

Greetings Slartibartfast,

I use a similar count method I learned from an audio dharma talk as my "warm-up". It's essentially a pyramid count: 1-10, 10-1, 1-9, 9-1, 1-8, 8-1...1-2, 2-1, 1. It seems to take just less than 10 minutes on average and, while I'm doing the "warm-up", I really cut myself some slack and don't worry too much about being distracted, fidgeting, etc. The original talk said you should restart from the beginning if you lose your place, but I don't feel that's necessary for my purposes. When the warm-up is over, the attitude changes and I try to really focus.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai