Activism

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Clueless Git

Re: Activism

Post by Clueless Git »

paxamo wrote:I am wondering, is activism very common among Buddhists? For example: civil rights activism, helping to relieve poverty (not having enough money to live, as opposed to living the simple life), slowing down corporations who seem to be becoming too powerful for the world's good, and working towards environmental protection.

Thank you,
'Lo Paxamo :)

I read that Thich Nat Hanh and some of his monks once took part in an anti vietnam war peace march. From memory; TNH wrote that he was disturbed by the .. errr .. non peacefullness of the peace marchers - all rushing along shouting angrily, that kinda stuff ...

Story went that he and his monks began slow mindfull walking in silence amongst the demonstrators and that as people noticed they calmed down and took to slow and peacefull walking too.

Opinions may vary but I think if there is a moral to the story it is that is not wrong for buddhists to be activists so long as they are mindfull that they should only be active in a very buddhist way.
poto

Re: Activism

Post by poto »

I think it's important to make a distinction between political activism and compassionate activism. I am fully in favor of compassionate actions, like volunteering at hospices, and things where I know I am helping people.

I worry that people promoting political causes may not always be doing the right thing. This can be especially troublesome on issues where it's not clear who is right and who is wrong. While many activists may have good intentions, sometimes the best intentions can still result in wrong or harmful actions.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis