Hello there.

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Kenshou

Hello there.

Post by Kenshou »

I'd like to quickly introduce myself to the forum.

So, hello. I've lurked this forum for awhile and found it to be pretty active and pertinent to my interests, so I figured I ought to join. I'm surprised by how polite the people on this forum are, that is rare on the internet, but I suppose this is how a Buddhist forum ought to be.

I'm fairly new to Buddhism, I've only began any serious study of it in the past several months. I had been exposed to Zen/Chan through the study of the Japanese language (as well as Pure Land Buddhism, which I found a little silly), and the Vedas and other Hindu literature through the study of Sanskrit, which lead to Pali, which lead to the Pali canon, and ultimately the convergence of a bunch of originally unrelated interests which ended up leading me into Buddhism.

I was at first the most fond of Zen for its succinctness and and ability to be right to the Point, but in the end, after reading up on Buddhists schools and Buddhist philosophy, I've found Theravada to be what seems to me as the best choice. I could write too much about all that happened to eventually lead me to that, but to be short, Theravada seems to be to-the-point about the Buddha's teaching without sacrificing clarity, and has a well developed canon without over-embellishment, which can also be said for the practice as well. I've found every Buddhist school to have good pieces of insight or a particular flair for a certain method of practice, but overall, I'd take Theravada.

I'm not in the position to join a Sangha really, but I've been gradually taking up the practice on my own, with the help of all the resources I can find. I'm quite happy so far, many of the ideas of Buddhism agree with me very well, but we'll see where it goes.

So anyway, I'm here, and I probably won't post much, but I'll be reading what you say. Keep it up.
Ben

Re: Hello there.

Post by Ben »

Hi Kenshou
Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
I encourage you to contribute to Dhamma Wheel. And until you find an 'actual reality' sangha, I hope Dhamma Wheel becomes a second home to you.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
paxamo

Post by paxamo »

Hi Kenshou!

I'm new too; I just joined today. I do not know too much about Buddhism yet, but I would like extend a hand of friendship to you anyway! Welcome!
"To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice" - Confucius
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hello:

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Kenshou,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

:buddha2:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Guy

Post by Guy »

Welcome!

I started off my Buddhist path through books and the internet too, nothing wrong with that. :geek:

With Metta,

Guy
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Welcome friend :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hello and welcome Kenshou !

Metta,

Aloka