New Mahasi Sayadaw book to be released by Wisdom Pubs

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
mikenz66

Re: New Mahasi Sayadaw book to be released by Wisdom Pubs

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks for your comments, cjmacie. Plenty there to investigate...

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

2) The "4 developments of samadhi" – interesting; I'd not seen that one before (AN4.41).
Also check out this sutta:

Bāla 11,
“These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana).

“When tranquillity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Passion is abandoned.

“When insight is developed, what purpose does it serve? Discernment is developed. And when discernment is developed, what purpose does it serve? Ignorance is abandoned.

“Defiled by passion, the mind is not released. Defiled by ignorance, discernment does not develop. Thus from the fading of passion is there awareness-release. From the fading of ignorance is there discernment-release.”
And: Arahattappatti
Ven. Ananda said: “Friends, whoever—monk or nun—declares the attainment of arahantship in my presence, they all do it by means of one or another of four paths. Which four?

“There is the case where a monk has developed insight preceded by tranquillity. As he develops insight preceded by tranquillity, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it—his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.
[and so on for other permutations]
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

2) The "4 developments of samadhi" – interesting; I'd not seen that one before (AN4.41).
Also check out this sutta:

Bāla 11,
“These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana).

“When tranquillity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Passion is abandoned.

“When insight is developed, what purpose does it serve? Discernment is developed. And when discernment is developed, what purpose does it serve? Ignorance is abandoned.

“Defiled by passion, the mind is not released. Defiled by ignorance, discernment does not develop. Thus from the fading of passion is there awareness-release. From the fading of ignorance is there discernment-release.”
And: Arahattappatti
Ven. Ananda said: “Friends, whoever—monk or nun—declares the attainment of arahantship in my presence, they all do it by means of one or another of four paths. Which four?

“There is the case where a monk has developed insight preceded by tranquillity. As he develops insight preceded by tranquillity, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it—his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.
[and so on for other permutations]
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

cjmacie wrote::oops:
Apologies, I overlooked the post "bodom » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:25 am ", which pointed-out the 1984 translation and where it's available on the internet.

I read -- actually more scanned -- Volume i Part i of it about a year ago, and found it impressive. I was trying to track down the origin of the term "vipassana jhana", which seemed s/w paradoxical. It's used a lot by some of the "pragmatic Buddhism" teachers, and spelled out in a book by U. Pandita.

Searching (via grep) the large collection of Mahasi's works (in English) that I've assembled (digital form, from the internet) found no usage of "vipassana jhana". So I then looked to the Treatise/Manual of Insight/Vipassana. Mahasi does use the terms "Vipassanā samādhi" and "Vipassanā khaṇika samādhi" -- where he means by 'khanika' something rather more intense than some other teachers (e.g. Ayya Khema, who considers khanika in a far more mundane sense). He spells out the relationship between practitioners who use a more samādhi or a more vipassanā path, according to training or inclination. He notes that Vipassanā samādhi can have the same intensity as appanā-samādhi.

"...this Vipassanā khaṇika samādhi ... can be developed and maintained, niccalam- permanently without any flitting or agitation, appitoviya- just like Jhāna-samādhi which is absorbed in the object, or rather, like Appanāsamādhi." (ca. p.120 in Vol i part i)

Here's a rather long description of that search and the result, with more quotations:
http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/gue ... ge_5761746

(Is it OK to post links like that here?)
Note that the term vipassana jhana also appears in
Mahāsi Sayādaw. A Discourse on the Wheel of Dhamma

Mike
Infiniteseeker

Post by Infiniteseeker »

Hi all

Does anyone know where i can get this book in Yangon? Visiting Burma for a few days and would like to get some books