stretching for sitting on floor

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
convivium

stretching for sitting on floor

Post by convivium »

injured my low back doing vipassana retreats at age 18, low back bulging disc issues since then. so can't sit on floor comfortably. i stretched 1-2 hours daily roughly for a couple years w/ no marked improvement. still can't sit on floor without hurting low back. any suggestions?
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
santa100

Re: stretching for sitting on floor

Post by santa100 »

Some info. you might find useful here..
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sorry to here that C
Can you explain how that happen for the benefit of others.
I also had a small pain in my right knee by pushing hard to sit for one hour.
I had a bad back pain by lifting in a wrong way.

Now I take bio magnesium for muscular pain and doing some yoga.
I do some walking meditation as well.

It appears help me a bit.
Please take care and consult a professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWmFStNdaQ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
convivium

Post by convivium »

i did a goenka retreat and sat in the main hall the whole time mostly without moving much. i wasn't flexible enough to sit on the floor without injury and i wasnt instructed on how to sit properly. just worked through the pain like they said. came home and my back was out for weeks, stuck in bed. hasn't been same since
Just keep breathing in and out like this. Don't be interested in anything else. It doesn't matter even if someone is standing on their head with their ass in the air. Don't pay it any attention. Just stay with the in-breath and the out-breath. Concentrate your awareness on the breath. Just keep doing it. http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

convivium wrote:any suggestions?
Sit on a chair.

If you injured yourself sitting on the floor and haven't seen any improvement over a couple of years of stretches the answer is pretty obvious.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

any suggestions?
Don't stretch and don't sit on the floor.

Do get professional help, which may include physical therapy and supervised exercise.