Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ben

Re: Books by Venerable Ledi Sayādaw

Post by Ben »

Much gratitude to you Bhante for your meritorious efforts.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I just uploaded A Manual of Donation and Morality (Dānādi Dīpanī) or literally, "A Manual of Donation and so forth.

I omitted a couple of chapters that were not by the Venerable Ledi Sayādaw, which you can find appended to the LibreOffice (original) version.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I just uploaded A Manual of the Requisites of Enlightenment (Bodhipakkhiya Dīpanī). This is based on the BPS edition, but I have added back a large section that was abridged, and changed references to the more precise format used by the PTS.

While still a layman staying at Birmingham Vihāra, and when I was still following the U Ba Khin tradition, I read the Manuals of Buddhism frequently, and especially this one.

As usual, please let me know (email is best) if you find any errors or broken links.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Javi

Post by Javi »

:anjali:

Thank you venerable Pesala for your tireless work.
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Please Note: My free web-host now imposes a daily sleep time, which I have set to start from 13:00 GMT.

Bookmark the Mirror Site, which is less likely to go offline.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Mirror Site

The URL of my Mirror Site has changed. It is now at aimwell.org.uk thanks to Petar Kabashki.

I have now started the process of updating the books by the Venerable Ledi Sayādaw.

I have so far updated books 1-5, and added E-reader versions in both epub and mobi formats.
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

Is there any english translation of Venerable Ledi Sayādaw's Punnovāda Dīpanī?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

EmptyShadow wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:37 pm Is there any English translation of Venerable Ledi Sayādaw's Puññovāda Dīpanī?
Not that I know of.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have now updated all of the Venerable Ledi Sayādaw’s book, apart from Manuals of Buddhism.
sarahedmonds

Post by sarahedmonds »

Thank you very much, Venerable Sir, for this wealth of Dhamma information.

With Gratitude,
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Added a first edition of A Guide to Good Conduct for Youths (Sukumāra Dīpanī).

I have had these files for over thirty years, but until now had not got around to publishing it. If anyone can tell me more about when the original Burmese edition was published and/or who the translator was, I will update it.

As usual, I am grateful to learn about any typos or translation errors. I have been burning the midnight oil (actually electricity these days) to get this edition ready to read. Take your pick out of HTML, PDF, Epub, or Mobi formats.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have finally added a first edition of A Manual of Not-self
Looking at the document properties of this publication is very revealing. Apparently, I first created it in 2004, which would have been with PagePlus 10, then edited it in PagePlus X5, X6, and X7, which were released in 2010, 2011, and 2013, before resuming work on it again in October 2021 with PagePlus X9. Still, on resuming work, fewer than twenty pages had been edited when I last stopped work on it in 2013.

The thirty-year-old edition that I have can be download from my website if you wish to see what a raw state it was in when I received it. I hope that readers will understand why it took so long to get it even to this stage, and make allowances for any defects in this edition, when they realise that I had to practically rewrite many paragraphs from scratch.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I have recently added A Manual of Nibbāna.

This took a lot of effort as the original translation was full of omissions and errors. If anyone has access to the Burmese edition it might be helpful to compare to the translation and my heavily modified edition.