In the Buddha's Words

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Re: In the Buddha's Words

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tex,
Tex wrote:Every Buddhist bookshelf should have a copy of this one.
But why get the greatest hits collection, if you have all the albums?

(Serious question, I'm not being a smart ass)

Metta,
Retro. :)
For the essays that accompany the translated texts, and not everyone wants to read all those texts in the Nikayas.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,

On that point then, how much of the book is "In The Buddha's Words" and how much in Bhikkhu Bodhi's words in the form of modern commentary (ignoring any footnotes for now).

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tilt,

On that point then, how much of the book is "In The Buddha's Words" and how much in Bhikkhu Bodhi's words in the form of modern commentary (ignoring any footnotes for now).

Metta,
Probably around a quarter. There are a number of new anothologies of Pali suttas that are available now and most of them are worth reading.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

That photo made me smile Bhante

:anjali:
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks