E-sangha news

The latest news and updates about the Dhamma Wheel forum.
User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Annapurna » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 pm

Wasn't e sangha already down in summer?

Was that also a hacker attack? Perhaps a dress rehearsal? By the same?

And didn't they lose some threads, but only back to the last 'safety copy' ?

Anyhow, I am sure e sangha will rise again.

:smile:

Paññāsikhara
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Paññāsikhara » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 am

tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:Hi all. I may have missed a post about this, but don't they have an older version (a few months old maybe) with Esangha data available that they could re-boot with?
One would think so.
My understanding is that there was one, but then the host over wrote it with a corrupted copy.
It's curious that the Way Back Machine archive also can't pull out older archives of it, either.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.

User avatar
Jechbi
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 am
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Jechbi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:41 am

I don't mean to be insensitive, but isn't this a good opportunity to practice detachment and come to a better appreciation of the impermanent nature of all phenomena?
destroyed.jpg
destroyed.jpg (69.38 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23044
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: E-sangha news

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:55 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
christopher::: wrote:Hi all. I may have missed a post about this, but don't they have an older version (a few months old maybe) with Esangha data available that they could re-boot with?
One would think so.
My understanding is that there was one, but then the host over wrote it with a corrupted copy.
It's curious that the Way Back Machine archive also can't pull out older archives of it, either.
Odd that a back-up was not stored separately from the original as a precaution against just this sort of thing. As far as the Way Back Machine is concerned, that was a problem I noticed months ago. I tried using it to look at threads that had been deleted from ES and I found that threads and sections that I knew still existed were not accessible via the WBM.

If this was malicious hack by a disaffected user(s) - and gawd knows they are out there - I hope this is an opportunity for the ES powers such as Leo and Namdrol to reflect upon past policies whether they are able to recover the old data base or are going to have restart from scratch.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Jechbi
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:38 am
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Jechbi » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 am

Interestingly, it looks like some people who have had issues with E-sangha might be in a position to help, if some reconciliation could occur. From here:
Jundo Cohen wrote:We have also downloaded substantially all of the archives of E-Sangha ...
Time to try to bury the hatchet?
Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.

User avatar
Dan74
Posts: 3012
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Dan74 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:34 am

Jechbi wrote:Interestingly, it looks like some people who have had issues with E-sangha might be in a position to help, if some reconciliation could occur. From here:
Jundo Cohen wrote:We have also downloaded substantially all of the archives of E-Sangha ...
Time to try to bury the hatchet?
Sounds like you have exactly what they need, Jundo!

I would just pass the archives to them (Leo and Namdrol) without a word. Would be a fairy-tale ending to the sorry saga, IMO.

_/|\_
_/|\_

User avatar
Annapurna
Posts: 2639
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Annapurna » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:38 am

Jechbi wrote:Interestingly, it looks like some people who have had issues with E-sangha might be in a position to help, if some reconciliation could occur. From here:
Jundo Cohen wrote:We have also downloaded substantially all of the archives of E-Sangha ...
Time to try to bury the hatchet?
Yep. Would be a fairytale ending. ....actually, does he have a choice now...?

Jundo is also an attorney and reacted positively, but said he was not skilled enough with internet laws.

PS:

It's good to search for the hidden gift in seemingly bad situations..

This one holds the gift of cooperation and reconciliation via a detour...

User avatar
poto
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 am

Re: E-sangha news

Post by poto » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:58 am

Paññāsikhara wrote: My understanding is that there was one, but then the host over wrote it with a corrupted copy.
It's curious that the Way Back Machine archive also can't pull out older archives of it, either.
Thanks for that bit of info. That pretty much confirms they didn't have staggered backups.

I'll try to break it down for peeps that aren't familiar with how this works. Some hosting companies provide daily backups as part of their service. What that means is the server your website is hosted on (in this case E-Sangha) is backed up once a day. Now, every day at the same time the previous day's backup is overwritten with the current day's backup. The problem here is that once your website is corrupted (or hacked) for more than 24 hours the old backup gets automatically overwritten with the fresh corrupted backup.

I've seen this happen before. People think that because they are doing daily backups they are protected, but by not having staggered backups (daily, weekly and monthly), it leaves them vulnerable to these kinds of unfortunate things.

FYI, the Way Back Machine is not a complete archive. It's basically a spider that attempts to index and record the publicity available portions of most websites. On large and fast moving sites like forums, it's nearly impossible to index all of the threads. Also, the most important thing on a forum second to the posts is the user data. The Way Back Machine does not capture user logins, passwords, private messages, or any of the other important parts of the database. Just attempting to scrape threads from an archive of past posts wouldn't fix the problem of all that missing user data. Really without a working database, a fresh install is the only feasible option.
David N. Snyder wrote: And then if the hackers are in one country, such as Russia and Leo is in another, Singapore and the server and hosting is in the U.S., it would be difficult if not impossible to sue since there would be no venue or jurisdiction for the court.

I think part of the reason for the delay may be that it is just so heart-breaking for Leo and the administrators to start all over from scratch. It was the largest English language Buddhist forum (that I know of) that ever existed. It had something like 1.4 million posts and about 60,000 members. Can you imagine how long it will take to build that base up again? So they are probably still searching for ways to restore it to the level it was at.
I run a number of websites as part of my business. I've been hacked several times, the most recent of which was only a few months ago. Going after the hackers is close to impossible. It sucks, and I can definitely empathize on a very personal level with what Leo and the E-Sangha crew must be going though.

I would suggest Leo hire an expert. It might be possible to repair his database, although it's probably going to expensive if it is at all possible. Based on my own experiences with corrupted databases, I'm doubtful that it can be repaired. I'm not an expert on restoring databases or security. I just know what I do from running my business and dealing with similar issues.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis

User avatar
christopher:::
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

Re: E-sangha news

Post by christopher::: » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:17 am

David N. Snyder wrote:
I think part of the reason for the delay may be that it is just so heart-breaking for Leo and the administrators to start all over from scratch. It was the largest English language Buddhist forum (that I know of) that ever existed. It had something like 1.4 million posts and about 60,000 members. Can you imagine how long it will take to build that base up again? So they are probably still searching for ways to restore it to the level it was at.
If that is the reason for the delay, there may indeed be a lesson on attachment here. I remember when a really popular ES thread some of us were communicating in (in the Beatnik Buddhism forum) called "Laughing Buddha's Roadside Cafe" was deleted. The next day we all returned, it was gone without a word, we said nothing and started gathering again... I think I started a new thread called "Castles Made of Sand" or something, with the theme of Impermanance.

Eventually the Beatnik Buddhism forum dissappeared, and finally members who had felt unwelcome started to move on. It was all good though, many good things learned, including: 1) Don't hold on to things that are illusory, 2) from change and death important dhamma lessons can be learned, and 3) real relationships and friendships forged, dhamma sisters and brothers found, are much more important then any words posted online.

I give thanks to E-sangha for all the people i've met online, and all i've learned about the dharma.

But 1.4 million posts and 60,000 members, what is that? It's an illusion, and artifact. The real good that Esangha has done can't be found in its archives. We all should give thanks, and pray for a fortunate rebirth, imo.

Start fresh, start over. Allow E-sangha to begin anew...

:group:
Last edited by christopher::: on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 19956
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 am

Greetings,

Just a little reminder about David's post that kicked off this topic.
David N. Snyder wrote:PLEASE keep all comments about e-sangha toward your ability or not to log-in, updates you might have from Leo or another admin. over there, or for suggestions on how we might be able to help them get back online!

Thank you!
Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

User avatar
christopher:::
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:56 am

Re: E-sangha news

Post by christopher::: » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:23 am

Ooppps! Sorry. Delete my post?

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

User avatar
Su Dongpo
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:29 am

Re: E-sangha news

Post by Su Dongpo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:59 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Just a little reminder about David's post that kicked off this topic.
David N. Snyder wrote:PLEASE keep all comments about e-sangha toward your ability or not to log-in, updates you might have from Leo or another admin. over there, or for suggestions on how we might be able to help them get back online!

Thank you!
Thanks.

Metta,
Retro. :)

Hmmm. I get that this forum's administrators and moderators don't want Dhamma Wheel to be drawn into intra- or inter-communal squabbles, but Christopher's message does pertain to problems related to communication, doesn't it? Not to stir up trouble here, though... :stirthepot:

heybai

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11675
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by DNS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:26 pm

poto wrote: I'll try to break it down for peeps that aren't familiar with how this works. Some hosting companies provide daily backups as part of their service. What that means is the server your website is hosted on (in this case E-Sangha) is backed up once a day. Now, every day at the same time the previous day's backup is overwritten with the current day's backup. The problem here is that once your website is corrupted (or hacked) for more than 24 hours the old backup gets automatically overwritten with the fresh corrupted backup.
We have that solved by doing the following back-up process:

We have the hosting company back it up for us (about once a month) and then they send us an e-mail with an attachment with the entire data base. Then we download it to the pc. That way, even if the site got hacked and the hosting server got hacked, the data base is still on the pc, which the hackers could only get to by literally breaking into my house, which virtually no hacker would go to the trouble to do.

:jedi:

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 19956
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: E-sangha news

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Greetings heybai,
heybai wrote:Hmmm. I get that this forum's administrators and moderators don't want Dhamma Wheel to be drawn into intra- or inter-communal squabbles, but Christopher's message does pertain to problems related to communication, doesn't it?
Yes it does... and that why we left it there, despite Chris:::'s question on whether it ought to be deleted.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

User avatar
poto
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 am

Re: E-sangha news

Post by poto » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:04 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
poto wrote: I'll try to break it down for peeps that aren't familiar with how this works. Some hosting companies provide daily backups as part of their service. What that means is the server your website is hosted on (in this case E-Sangha) is backed up once a day. Now, every day at the same time the previous day's backup is overwritten with the current day's backup. The problem here is that once your website is corrupted (or hacked) for more than 24 hours the old backup gets automatically overwritten with the fresh corrupted backup.
We have that solved by doing the following back-up process:

We have the hosting company back it up for us (about once a month) and then they send us an e-mail with an attachment with the entire data base. Then we download it to the pc. That way, even if the site got hacked and the hosting server got hacked, the data base is still on the pc, which the hackers could only get to by literally breaking into my house, which virtually no hacker would go to the trouble to do.

:jedi:
Glad to hear. :twothumbsup:

Although, once your websites grow larger you may need a more robust backup solution. It simply isn't possible to e-mail and download a ton of data on a regular basis. Even if you have a fast connection, downloading +100GB backups regularly really isn't feasible. If you're only dealing with text and images, you should be good for a while, but if you start getting into video or any user generated content with a large user base, it adds up quickly.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests