Facebook connect for the forums?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
adamposey

Facebook connect for the forums?

Post by adamposey »

Just tossing this one out there. IT would be pretty neat to be able to login with my Facebook credentials. :)
retrofuturist

Re: Facebook connect for the forums?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Adam,

Can you explain a little bit more what you mean?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

Facebook connect is, for the end user, a button that you put on your site that enables the user to simply login using his facebook credentials. In the same way it also pulls in information for the user (profile pic, location, etc.,) and sends OUT information as well (So the person's facebook news feed CAN (optionally) reflect their postings here.)

You can do the same thing with an application called "Google Friend Connect"

:)

http://www.google.com/friendconnect/home/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://developers.facebook.com/connect.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That'll explain both better than I can.
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=198499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << plugin for vbulletin to make facebook connect work. :)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Adam,

Let us know if you find a phpBB3 one.

:ugeek:

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Adam,

Let us know if you find a phpBB3 one.

Metta,
I really didn't know you weren't using vbulletin. You guys do good work. ;)

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1350035" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; << This looks promising for you. :)
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Looks like this might work...

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1692295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings pink_trike,

Thanks for that link... a quick peruse suggests that the MOD looks promising, but as the author said within the last 24 hours...
There are many more bugs I already noticed within this thread, which I'll have to fix ...
Link to quote: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p11150795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's something we will definitely keep an eye on and consider introducing down the track (once it finished beta testing) if we can confidently do so without risking the stability of the system, which is of course the paramount concern.

Metta,
Individual

Post by Individual »

I am a bit suspicious of Facebook Connect. The idea of using one app to "automatically" connect to all sites, it seems like it might be prone to major security vulnerabilities. Implementing it would pose no risk to Dhamma Wheel, but it might pose risks to Dhamma Wheel's users.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Hmmm, considering what's happened with e-sangha the idea of using a login mod which basically shifts the responsibility of security to another organisation (a big one with it's own history of being hacked) makes of nervous. Right now I think Dhammawheel is below the hackers' radars, but facebook certainly is not. I don't know how it all works, but is it really that much of a bother logging in separately to separate web services?

Web 2.0, in my opinion, simply CANNOT work until legal issues about tracking and punishing hackers have been clarified. The internet is becoming a united country with no police force. Anyone who has played the game Borderlands will see what I mean. Sure, you can buy your inventory from any vending machine in Pandora but you still get shot in the back by bandits if you're not careful.

Sorry, I'm rambling.
adamposey

Post by adamposey »

Individual wrote:I am a bit suspicious of Facebook Connect. The idea of using one app to "automatically" connect to all sites, it seems like it might be prone to major security vulnerabilities. Implementing it would pose no risk to Dhamma Wheel, but it might pose risks to Dhamma Wheel's users.
While theoretically speaking Facebook does have some issues, I feel like it's worth noting that a massive attack has never happened to them that they allowed (Twitter is a different story.) Facebook's server security is probably on par with google's.

For those who don't know Facebook connect is less about logging in with your credentials (it's really just the click of a button) and more about linking your facebook profile and the profile of the place you just joined. It makes it easier to sign up (one click to register for a new service) and it automatically fills in information in your profile. You have an identity as soon as you join, complete with profile pic, etc., The allure of Facebook is in the sharing of information, although that one click login is nice too. ;)