killing insects

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Billy5000

killing insects

Post by Billy5000 »

I work in a cleaning job and I have to clean away spiders and other insects which accumulate within buildings. The only practical way to do this is to kill them. There are too many to try and remove them from the building. I feel terrible about this. I want to change my job because of it but I dont have any prospects for alternative employment and so its too difficult. I am in a quandary about this.
cooran

Re: killing insects

Post by cooran »

Here is a previous discussion about this topic:

Killing Insects
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19806" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic »

Don't do it, terrible kamma. Find a way not to kill/harm them.

:anjali:
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

Does anyone remember the sutta where the Buddha gave advice to a warrior/solider to carry on with his occupation, and hope for a future rebirth where this occupation wasn't necessary? That sutta reminds me of situations like this. I understand that you can't necessarily change your occupation right now, but I'd consider changing when you can seeing that it probably brings some sort of conflict up within you. Wishing you the best, my friend!

Ryan
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

We should take every effort to not to kill insects.
Having said that, I am not pretending here that I do not kill insects.
I have to clean my house and break the cob webs.
Then I have to vacuum them as well.
However the intention is not to kill.

I do not use pesticides in my garden.
Pesticides are not good as it kills the native birds as well.
However when I work in the garden I may unintentionally kill worms or insects.

As lay people, there is a limitation the way we can observe precepts.
Killing an insect is not the same weighty kamma as a killing of a human. (Human has the potential to attain Nibbana)
May be we do not kill insects but may be doing greater harm by our wrong speech.
So if you observe all other precepts killing an insect could be a grain of salt in the Ganges river.

The point I am trying to make here is killing generally unwholesome.
We should be aware of that and should not try to justify the killing as good under any circumstance.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
cooran

Post by cooran »

Spray catnip as mentioned in the link above - it doesn't harm just repels.
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

While we are in this subject this may relevant.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/anima ... lgw91.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

I want to change my job because of it but I dont have any prospects for alternative employment and so its too difficult.
Even though it's difficult, I would keep trying anyway. :anjali:
dennis

Post by dennis »

I would suggest (if it's possible) to surreptitiously save as many insects as possible on each job you're assigned to. Loosing your job over something that may seem eccentric probably isn't a good idea. But even small acts add up.
:namaste:
Monkey Gift of Honey

Post by Monkey Gift of Honey »

Billy,

You wrote,
I work in a cleaning job and I have to clean away spiders and other insects which accumulate within buildings... I want to change my job because of it but I dont have any prospects... I am in a quandary about this.
Sonic Technology Bugbuster, Battery Operated No Harm Spider and Insect Vacuum by Sonic Technology
"This is a gentle insect vacuum designed not to harm the insect. ..."
https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Technology ... B00029XD7Q

Bugzooka Bug Catcher Vacuum by BugZooka
"The battery-free BugZooka generates 10 times the suction power of motorized models to humanely capture insect invaders for outdoor release. ..."
https://www.amazon.com/Bugzooka-Bug-Cat ... NJE5SAW8GP

Humane Bug Catcher
http://www.petacatalog.com/products/Hum ... 584-3.html
As a mother watches over her child, willing to risk her own life to protect her only child, so with a boundless heart should one cherish all living beings, suffusing the whole world with unobstructed loving kindness. Standing or walking, sitting or lying down, during all of one's waking hours, one should sustain this heart and this way of living.
- Karaniya Metta Sutta
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I imagine that if it is a matter of your religious beliefs you ought to be able to raise the issue with your employer and tell them that it is against your religion to kill insects. If they discipline or fire you over it then that might qualify for unfair dismissal.

I'd consider contacting an employment adviser, or trade union to give you some advice. I imagine though that (depending on where you live) your employer can't make a Buddhist kill a spider any more than they can make a Muslim take off their Hijab. At least it could be argued as such, however given that you didn't raise the issue from the offset they might say you ought to have informed them from the very start. I would seek employment advice and maybe get a union rep to fight your corner if you have a case.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
iHappy

Post by iHappy »

Laurens wrote:I imagine that if it is a matter of your religious beliefs you ought to be able to raise the issue with your employer and tell them that it is against your religion to kill insects. If they discipline or fire you over it then that might qualify for unfair dismissal.

I'd consider contacting an employment adviser, or trade union to give you some advice. I imagine though that (depending on where you live) your employer can't make a Buddhist kill a spider any more than they can make a Muslim take off their Hijab. At least it could be argued as such, however given that you didn't raise the issue from the offset they might say you ought to have informed them from the very start. I would seek employment advice and maybe get a union rep to fight your corner if you have a case.
It depends on the country you live at...
People think I am weird when I am trying to save insects, even my own family thinks so.

Telling such a thing to a boss is beyond imaginable.
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Surely you couldn't build a monastery without killing insects.

I heard of a case where following construction there was a sharing of merit to the insects that died.