Good temples to stay at in Thailand as a lay guest

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
robbie77

Good temples to stay at in Thailand as a lay guest

Post by robbie77 »

Hi there

Can anyone recommend a beautiful temple in Thaialnd where I can stay as a lay guest? Somewhere which doesn't require one to shave ones head please.

Thanks

Robert
Dhammanando

Re: Good temples to stay at in Thailand as a lay guest

Post by Dhammanando »

robbie77 wrote:Can anyone recommend a beautiful temple in Thailand where I can stay as a lay guest? Somewhere which doesn't require one to shave ones head please.
I think very few Thai monasteries require guests to shave their heads, unless they are embarking upon an ordination programme. The best choice will hinge on how long you intend to stay and how you wish to occupy your time.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
robbie77

Post by robbie77 »

Well, I like it to be in the Ajahn Chah lineage if possible. I'd be looking to stay for one month and would occupy my time following the same regime as the monks do. I would have liked to stay at WPN but they require you to shave your head if you stay for more than a week.

Robert
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

Robert - I believe you will be required to shave your head if you want to stay at one of the Ajahn Chah lineage monasteries here.

Is there a reason you don't want to shave your head - it will grow back :)

You could try the most recent branch Wat Anandagiri http://www.peacebeyondsuffering.org/- and ask Ajahn Achalo if it's a requirement.

Can't find an email, but i'll keep looking. Meanwhile, the postal address is:

Wat Anandagiri,
c/o Khaokho Talaypu,
137 M5 Tuangsamor,
Petchabun,
Khaokho 67270,
Thailand

It certainly looks very beautiful!

Another option to explore is Wat Marp Jun https://forestsangha.org/community/mona ... t-marp-jan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" contact details and email in the link
Hartridge Buddhist Monastery, Devon, England
robbie77

Post by robbie77 »

Thanks for the address :)

Regarding shaving my head, I suppose you are right it will grow back...

Do you know if this beautiful monastery accepts visitors who just show up on the day? It will be difficult for me to contact them without email since I'm currently in India so I doubt a letter by post will reach there and back in time especially since I'm hoping to be there in about two weeks' time! It says on the WPN website they require guests longer than three days to shave their heads and eyebrows but I don;t know how up to date this information is or how strictly they adhere to it. A part of me is inclined to believe that they will not mind if I am helping around the monastery for a short three week stay.

Thank you

:anjali:
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Robbie, if you have trouble getting into one of the Ajahn Chah wats, can I recommend http://www.templeretreatthailand.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href); ?
See also https://www.facebook.com/TempleStayThailand?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

This is the Wat that I visited many years ago, and have stayed with and a part of since that time. Lay guests do not need to shave their heads unless they are training for a temporary or permanent ordination path. The Wat's abbot is young and a very good Bhikkhu; well educated, fluent in English, and strict Vinaya.

The director of the Temple Stay is a former farang monk, from Scotland. He's terrific, and will make you feel quite at home, while helping you with any aspect of learning that you wish to undertake. If you wish to just enjoy a few weeks in a Thai Wat, and participate as you feel comfortable that is offered too, to the lay guests. You'll be immersed in Dhamma, Pali, and meditation/chanting and alms rounds only to the extent that you wish to be, as a lay guest.

I couldn't resist, having seen your letter today, to plug my home Wat..check out the links and see if it might be a good fit, or a second option for you if the Ajahn Chah wats don't respond.
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

robbie77 wrote:Thanks for the address :)

Regarding shaving my head, I suppose you are right it will grow back...

Do you know if this beautiful monastery accepts visitors who just show up on the day? ... It says on the WPN website they require guests longer than three days to shave their heads and eyebrows but I don;t know how up to date this information is or how strictly they adhere to it.
:anjali:
Unsure if they would accept guests who just show up at Wat Anandagiri - you would need transport to get there, and it's a bit remote.

Head shaving is still required at WPN, but like all things, you could chat with the abbot - Ajahn Kevali and discuss.
starphlo

Post by starphlo »

In case you haven't found one yet:
http://www.watpahnanachat.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wat Pah Nanachat (WPN)
The International Forest Monastery

Wat Pah Nanachat is a Buddhist monastery in Northeast Thailand, in the Theravada Forest Tradition.
It was established in 1975 by Ven. Ajahn Chah (1918-1992) as a branch monastery close to his own traditional forest monastery Wat Nong Pah Pong in Ubon Rachathani province, with Ven. Ajahn Sumedho, an American disciple of his, as the first abbot.
The monastery aims at providing English-speaking people the opportunity to train and practise the simple and peaceful lifestyle that the Buddha taught his monks in the forests over 2500 years ago.
forestmat

Post by forestmat »

starphlo wrote:In case you haven't found one yet:
http://www.watpahnanachat.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wat Pah Nanachat (WPN)
The International Forest Monastery
Think the OP mentioned it in his second post - albeit as the abbreviated WPN