The Mahamevnawa tradition

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kumara

Re: The Mahamevnawa tradition

Post by Kumara »

I'm interested in this relatively new tradition. How's the Vinaya like? Do the monks accept money?
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Kumara wrote:I'm interested in this relatively new tradition. How's the Vinaya like? Do the monks accept money?
Good questions. I still see that most of the material for Mahamevanwa is in Singhalese. I'd be interested to know these details as well.

From what I've gathered, they are more focused on the Suttas than the commentaries. I'm not sure how that relates to their interpretation of the vinaya.

I hope more English resources become available. There are many Mahayana and Vajrayana organizations focused on development and propagation, not so much for Theravada.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
rajithanuwank

Post by rajithanuwank »

Mahamewnawa monks do not accept money. Therawada Buddhism has changed a lot from the original teachings of the Buddha due to various reasons. And in mahamewnawa monks try to practice Buddhism exactly as mentioned by Buddha, which will gain the freedom from sufferings.

http://mahamevnawa.lk/inenglish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta...
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Nice imagery.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

MahamevnawaFlorida wrote:
polarbuddha101 wrote:I just found out they have a branch within 20 miles of where I live. I'll have to go check it out sometime. Although they do seem to be rather lacking in the multicultural department
There are some foreigners of other religions who have learnt the Dhamma through the monastery. They have become faithful towards the Triple Gem and become Buddhists after learning the Dhamma.
http://mahamevnawa.us/about-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like their style of teaching though so I'll just have to deal with being a foreigner in my own country I guess :lol:
Namo Buddhaya! My name is Bhante Saddhasara, I am a Mahamevnawa monk. I am curious to know which branch you are close to, maybe I can help to introduce you to someone who could help you get benefits from our center.
Hi, do you know how is craving defined in this tradition?

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
rohana

Post by rohana »

Maitri wrote:theravadin,

Thanks for your response. I was just curious to know what you feel sets The Mahamevnawa tradition apart from general Sri Lanka Buddhism. I have read about the founder of the tradition. It appears that The Mahamevnawa tradition is not so Sri Lankan focused but uses the suttas as a basis for everything. I'd like to hear your experience, if you care to share.
I don't know too much about this tradition, especially regarding its American branches, but the founder, Kiribathgoda Ñānānanda is very famous in Sri Lanka with millions of devout followers. He is well known for holding massive devotional worship services that draw millions (a bit like the Buddhist equivalent of the Evangelical mega-churches that you see in the US). I don't know much about his meditation background, but I think he encourages people to practice meditation, lay or monastic.

As for the tradition being 'not so Sri Lankan focused', I've seen Ven. Ñānānanda claiming that it's the duty of the Sinhalese ethnicity to protect Buddhism (and claiming that dēvas with high merit have a propensity for being born as Sinhalese in order to carry this out), and claiming that the Sinhalese need to have more children which will solve most of the country's problems.

But in any case, the best option is probably to pay them a visit and talk to them. It's quite possible that you will find sincere and serious practitioners there.
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

rajithanuwank wrote:Mahamewnawa monks do not accept money. Therawada Buddhism has changed a lot from the original teachings of the Buddha due to various reasons. And in mahamewnawa monks try to practice Buddhism exactly as mentioned by Buddha, which will gain the freedom from sufferings.

http://mahamevnawa.lk/inenglish/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta...
Thanks for joining just to reply to this. I appreciate it.
soapy3

Post by soapy3 »

Any branches in the American northeast?
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

rohana wrote:

Thanks for your response. I was just curious to know what you feel sets The Mahamevnawa tradition apart from general Sri Lanka Buddhism. I have read about the founder of the tradition. It appears that The Mahamevnawa tradition is not so Sri Lankan focused but uses the suttas as a basis for everything. I'd like to hear your experience, if you care to share.
I don't know too much about this tradition, especially regarding its American branches, but the founder, Kiribathgoda Ñānānanda is very famous in Sri Lanka with millions of devout followers. He is well known for holding massive devotional worship services that draw millions (a bit like the Buddhist equivalent of the Evangelical mega-churches that you see in the US). I don't know much about his meditation background, but I think he encourages people to practice meditation, lay or monastic.

As for the tradition being 'not so Sri Lankan focused', I've seen Ven. Ñānānanda claiming that it's the duty of the Sinhalese ethnicity to protect Buddhism (and claiming that dēvas with high merit have a propensity for being born as Sinhalese in order to carry this out), and claiming that the Sinhalese need to have more children which will solve most of the country's problems.

But in any case, the best option is probably to pay them a visit and talk to them. It's quite possible that you will find sincere and serious practitioners there.
Thank you very much for this background information. Personally I quite like the devotional element of Buddhism so I don't mind this, but it shouldn't be to the exclusion of cultivating morality, ethics and wisdom. What I've encountered from the majority of Theravadan monks I've met is that they have actual little knowledge of the sutras and rely mostly on commentary for their teachings. Mahamevnawa seems to stress teaching straight from the suttas.

It's funny the leader states that "good karma" leads one to rebirth in a Buddhist country. Much the same is taught in Tibetan Buddhism, actually. I can see the logic- it's theoretically easier to learn Dhamma being born into a Buddhist country. The element of Sinhalese nationalism is problematic, however.

Part of the issue with Mahamevnawa is that nearly all of their texts, talks, and writings are in Sinhalese. So if something "off" is being said in Sri Lanka English speakers are not aware of it.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

I was very excited to learn that there was a branch near where I live in the United States. I was disappointed to learn from their web site that all of their talks are in Sinhalese.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
ieee23 wrote:I was very excited to learn that there was a branch near where I live in the United States. I was disappointed to learn from their web site that all of their talks are in Sinhalese.
Having had similar experiences myself, I sympathize with your disappointment.

It is fortunate though that you have encountered the Dhamma in this lifetime - may all efforts be made to make it available to all.

:anjali:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Maitri wrote:
rohana wrote:

Thank you very much for this background information. Personally I quite like the devotional element of Buddhism so I don't mind this, but it shouldn't be to the exclusion of cultivating morality, ethics and wisdom. What I've encountered from the majority of Theravadan monks I've met is that they have actual little knowledge of the sutras and rely mostly on commentary for their teachings. Mahamevnawa seems to stress teaching straight from the suttas.

It's funny the leader states that "good karma" leads one to rebirth in a Buddhist country. Much the same is taught in Tibetan Buddhism, actually. I can see the logic- it's theoretically easier to learn Dhamma being born into a Buddhist country. The element of Sinhalese nationalism is problematic, however.

Part of the issue with Mahamevnawa is that nearly all of their texts, talks, and writings are in Sinhalese. So if something "off" is being said in Sri Lanka English speakers are not aware of it.
Hi Mitri
I am a Sinhalese. However I do not believe the statement that good kamma leads on to rebirth in a Buddhist country.
I could not find that in the Suttas.
However it is possible good kamma leads to be reborn as a human in a Buddha's time or when Budddha's teaching still available.
I gathered most of my knowledge about Buddhism from Western teachers such as Ven. Thanissaro, not to mention many other grate western teachers.
However my first book, I was brought back to Buddhism was from Ven. Narada.

:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
MahamevnawaFlorida

Post by MahamevnawaFlorida »

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Bhante,

Thank you for posting and for making yourself available to our members. Do you know if there are any branch monasteries closer to NYC than the Edison NJ branch?
Hello Khalil Bodhi,
Now we have one in New York. We recently opened a branch in Staten island. Here is the website link. http://mahamevnawanewyork.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
And also I am thinking of starting a meditation group in Manhattan or around new York. If you are able to help me please let me know.

Metta.
Bhante Saddhasara.
Sunshine Meditation Center. :buddha1:
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Bhante,

I am around and would be extremely interested in forming a group in Manhattan. Please let me know how I can help.

Mettaya,

KB
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

An ebook by the Ven Kiribathgoda Gnanananda , mentor of Mahamevnawa is available for download here.
http://freeforbook.tk/detail/B011DF5MLW ... l-realize/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;