Welding trade

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Disciple

Welding trade

Post by Disciple »

Does anyone here know much about welding? Would it be a good trade to get into? I'm in Canada and it pays very well, looks interesting too. Only thing I find bothersome about it are the fumes and what it can do to long term health.
randall

Re: Welding trade

Post by randall »

It's a very good trade, it pays well (very well in some cases), has good security when things are slow and its a specialty skill that can't be replaced to easily. If you don't mind doing laborious tasks other than just welding (fabricating other things that a shop may need etc.) also if your young and single and don't mind bouncing around provinces you should have security for the most part. If you're younger and decide to switch to say a Millwright or something, having a welding ticket will be an extra foot in the door!

As for the fumes, ya they're not good, Canada and the Ministry of Labour have standards, weather or not a company follows these or goes beyond the minimum is something different.
SDC

Post by SDC »

I work with a lot of welders in the utility field in NYC. They are in constant demand and the money is terrific. (I cannot comment on how lucrative the profession would be in a more rural area.) I've been a welding assistance many times over the years and, yes, the work can be very interesting. A highly skilled welder gets a ton of respect which is nice - being appreciated for your craft can make a tough job a little less tough.

You aren't likely to see most welders wearing the proper respiratory protection since it is quite uncomfortable to don it under the welding mask. There is no doubt the fumes will take their toll over the years but I see no reason why you couldn't pursue it while taking the proper precautionary measures. In my opinion the discomfort is worth it, as long as you can handle the rest of the shop making fun of you. :tongue:

If you have anything more specific please ask and I'll do my best to answer or ask one of my co-workers.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

One of my past housemates was a welder. Still is AFAIK. He ran his own business, basically working as a contractor and taking jobs as they came. Had a shop in the garage and also rented one nearby. Had a pickup truck. He seemed to enjoy welding itself, though not always the business side of things. I never watched him weld, but I helped him haul some guardrails he made to a client's house once. It definitely can be a physically demanding job, at least for what he was doing.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SDC

Post by SDC »

Mkoll wrote:He seemed to enjoy welding itself, though not always the business side of things.
This right here is a good reason to work with a company if you can because going at it alone can be utter hell. Most union welders in NYC have a good deal of help when it comes to the physical part of the job, i.e. job setup, fire watch, helpers to do some of the lifting and cutting, they are there to weld.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
santa100

Post by santa100 »

More info. about the profession is available at payscale.com..
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

santa100 wrote:More info. about the profession is available at payscale.com..
Nice, I'll have to bookmark that site. Another good site for general job information, at least in the US, is the OOH at the BLS. Canada may have a similar offering from their government.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

randall wrote:It's a very good trade, it pays well (very well in some cases), has good security when things are slow and its a specialty skill that can't be replaced to easily. If you don't mind doing laborious tasks other than just welding (fabricating other things that a shop may need etc.) also if your young and single and don't mind bouncing around provinces you should have security for the most part. If you're younger and decide to switch to say a Millwright or something, having a welding ticket will be an extra foot in the door!

As for the fumes, ya they're not good, Canada and the Ministry of Labour have standards, weather or not a company follows these or goes beyond the minimum is something different.
Rig welders out here in Alberta make the most. They charge 120 an hour and clear over 1k a day when it's busy, many of them just work 6 months a year and go off to tropical countries in the wintertime. Sounds like a pretty decent lifestyle.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

SDC wrote:I work with a lot of welders in the utility field in NYC. They are in constant demand and the money is terrific. (I cannot comment on how lucrative the profession would be in a more rural area.) I've been a welding assistance many times over the years and, yes, the work can be very interesting. A highly skilled welder gets a ton of respect which is nice - being appreciated for your craft can make a tough job a little less tough.

You aren't likely to see most welders wearing the proper respiratory protection since it is quite uncomfortable to don it under the welding mask. There is no doubt the fumes will take their toll over the years but I see no reason why you couldn't pursue it while taking the proper precautionary measures. In my opinion the discomfort is worth it, as long as you can handle the rest of the shop making fun of you. :tongue:

I think the discomfort would definitely be worth it. You don't see too many welders out there who make it to an old age. Lack of safety precautions may very well be the reason.
If you have anything more specific please ask and I'll do my best to answer or ask one of my co-workers.
I'll let you know, thanks a lot. :)
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

SDC wrote:
Mkoll wrote:He seemed to enjoy welding itself, though not always the business side of things.
This right here is a good reason to work with a company if you can because going at it alone can be utter hell. Most union welders in NYC have a good deal of help when it comes to the physical part of the job, i.e. job setup, fire watch, helpers to do some of the lifting and cutting, they are there to weld.
Yup, I think it's the same with the union welders out here.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

santa100 wrote:More info. about the profession is available at payscale.com..
These wages look very little in comparison to the ones here.First year apprentice welders even with non union start off at around 20 an hour and top out at around 40.
SDC

Post by SDC »

That site seems spot on as far as an average nationwide (US) welding salary goes. I would imagine in rural areas the pay is significantly lower than urban hence the average being so low. In my company welders top out at around $50/hr, full-time (40 hrs/week). In most cases the biggest money is going to be in a major city or with a company that gets lucrative contracts to do big jobs around the country (seems to be what randall was talking about).
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

SDC wrote:That site seems spot on as far as an average nationwide (US) welding salary goes. I would imagine in rural areas the pay is significantly lower than urban hence the average being so low. In my company welders top out at around $50/hr, full-time (40 hrs/week). In most cases the biggest money is going to be in a major city or with a company that gets lucrative contracts to do big jobs around the country (seems to be what randall was talking about).
Not too sure about the wages in eastern Canada. It could average out to be the same as in the US.
randall

Post by randall »

In Ontario there's always a need for a welder because everyone's going out west where the money is! So the demand is higher giving people with the skill a better opportunity to get a little more wage and security.
chownah

Post by chownah »

You could google "welding industrial health" or something similar.....lots to look at....
chownah