The dukkha of custard cream biscuits

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
zavk

The dukkha of custard cream biscuits

Post by zavk »

Sigh.... even custard cream biscuits are dukkha. (Sorry that the photo is off-focus, couldn't get it to focus on my iPhone):
Attachments
biscuit danger.jpg
biscuit danger.jpg (108.97 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
With metta,
zavk
M.Seiffert

Re: The dukkha of custard cream biscuits

Post by M.Seiffert »

Lol

Biscuits are some serious business... seriously delicious business...
Fede

Post by Fede »

I think you'll find it's been scientifically proven that if you dunk two together, they're less likely to 'flop' back into your drink.

if they do, however, it's also twice the frustration and twice the mess.

So there.
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think someone should send a packet to Gov Schwarzeneger.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ben wrote:I think someone should send a packet to Gov Schwarzeneger.

Governor Groper? As Republicans go, he is far better than a lot of the fools in the Party of No.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Found an online version:
More than half of all Britons have been injured by biscuits ranging from scalding from hot tea or coffee while dunking or breaking a tooth eating during a morning tea break, a survey has revealed.

An estimated 25 million adults have been injured while eating during a tea or coffee break - with at least 500 landing themselves in hospital, the survey revealed.

The custard cream biscuit was found to be the worse offender to innocent drinkers.

It beat the cookie to top a table of 15 generic types of biccy whose potential dangers were calculated by The Biscuit Injury Threat Evaluation.

Hidden dangers included flying fragments and being hurt while dunking in scalding tea through to the more strange such as people poking themselves in the eye with a biscuit or fallen off a chair reaching for the tin.

One man even ended up stuck in wet concrete after wading in to pick up a stray biscuit.

Custard creams get a risk rating of 5.63, the highest of all.

This compared to 1.16 for Jaffa cakes, which was the safest biscuit of all in the evaluation.

Research company Mindlab International were commissioned by Rocky, a chocolate biscuit bar, to conduct the research.

It found almost a third of adults said they had been splashed or scalded by hot drinks while dunking or trying to fish the remnants of a collapsed digestive.

It also revealed 28 per cent had choked on crumbs while one in 10 had broken a tooth or filling biting a biscuit.

More unusually, three per cent had poked themselves in the eye with a biscuit and seven per cent bitten by a pet or "other wild animal" trying to get their biscuit.

Mindlab International director Dr David Lewis said: "We tested the physical properties of 15 popular types of biscuits, along with aspects of their consumption such as 'dunkability' and crumb dispersal.

Mike Driver, Marketing Director for Rocky said: "We commissioned this study after learning how many biscuit related injuries are treated by doctors each year."
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... veals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi tilt
it was sort of a tangential response to the story above the custard cream biscuit which quoted Arnie as saying something about a gay marriage should be between a man and a woman. Perhaps he was channeling Conan again...
We hear about Arnie occassionally, so I'm oblivious as to whether he is a good governor or not. Though an injury-causing biscuit might give him pause for thought before opening his mouth again!
cheers

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

This is injury enough:
Attachments
arnold-schwarzenegger[1].jpg
arnold-schwarzenegger[1].jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
zavk

Post by zavk »

Whoa... my eye... my eye!!! (And I'm not eating biscuits)

Nice one BlackBird! I don't know what worries me more, that there are people getting stuck in wet concrete while chasing the elusive biscuit or that there is such a thing as The Biscuit Injury Threat Evaluation. :popcorn:

The other story is about a poll on silly political statements. The top spot went to George W. Bush (of course). It's the one where he said something along the lines of: 'Our enemies do not stop thinking of ways to harm and undermine our country--and neither do we' or something like that.
With metta,
zavk
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

zavk wrote:(Sorry that the photo is off-focus, couldn't get it to focus on my iPhone)
(As a fellow techie, I'm sure you realise the irony here: the iPhone itself being a MAJOR Dukkha source! :jumping: )
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Anything made by Apple is replete with dukkha.

:stirthepot:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

tiltbillings wrote:
Ben wrote:I think someone should send a packet to Gov Schwarzeneger.

Governor Groper? As Republicans go, he is far better than a lot of the fools in the Party of No.
True.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

retrofuturist wrote:Anything made by Apple is replete with dukkha.

Metta,
I love my Apple dukkha :tongue:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

tiltbillings wrote:This is injury enough:

Dukkha, and . . . Anicca
zavk

Post by zavk »

pink_trike wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Anything made by Apple is replete with dukkha.

Metta,
I love my Apple dukkha :tongue:
Heh.. yeah I agree with you Retro. I find the file management interface between iTunes-iPhone/iPod most frustrating. I believe you feel the same too.

But, having said that, the apps on my iPhone have given me a lot of fun and pleasure.

Pleasure is of course dukkha. But hey... it's not really about denying pleasure..... :tongue:

Have a good weekend everyone.
With metta,
zavk