Tsunami warning: Pacific Islands and NZ

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Re: Tsunami warning: Pacific Islands and NZ

Post by cooran »

Hello Pink_Trike, The Dhamma, all,

I'm not sure if you realise that many of us know Samoans who have been affected personally. Many of my clients are Samoans who are frightened and desperate for news of their loved ones.
This thread wasn't supposed to be an academic discussion about the pervasiveness of suffering - which is a little insensitive in this context.

karuna
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Chris wrote:Hello Pink_Trike, The Dhamma, all,

I'm not sure if you realise that many of us know Samoans who have been affected personally. Many of my clients are Samoans who are frightened and desperate for news of their loved ones.
This thread wasn't supposed to be an academic discussion about the pervasiveness of suffering - which is a little insensitive in this context.

karuna
Chris
Hello Chris,

I'm sorry you find it "insensitive". Since this is a Buddhist board, my feeling is that The Dhamma's and my comments are timely and appropriate.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Chris wrote: I'm not sure if you realise that many of us know Samoans who have been affected personally. Many of my clients are Samoans who are frightened and desperate for news of their loved ones.
Hi Chris,

This has nothing to do with ignoring the present tragedy, but just about extending the metta to all of the suffering.

As you know, when you do metta meditation you start with yourself, to those around you, and gradually extend this to all nations, and all beings. We can extend our karuna and metta to the Samoans and then to all the others who are also suffering, for example in Africa and elsewhere.