After retreat issue

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
greenfly

After retreat issue

Post by greenfly »

Hi...
I have just finished my first Goenka Vipassana 10 day course...
In my meditations after about 40 minutes i have a tense sensation in the legs,and my knees and hips are in pain....how can i deal with this? becouse i can't concentrate on my "body scanning"
Any idea is appreciated...
sorry my english... :toast:
Sanjay PS

Re: After retreat issue

Post by Sanjay PS »

greenfly wrote:Hi...
I have just finished my first Goenka Vipassana 10 day course...
In my meditations after about 40 minutes i have a tense sensation in the legs,and my knees and hips are in pain....how can i deal with this? becouse i can't concentrate on my "body scanning"
Any idea is appreciated...
sorry my english... :toast:
Hello ,

Coming back to Anapana ( mindful breathing ) will be of good help , if you are not able to scan the body or should you find the mind to be a bit shaken . If the pain is intense , you can shift your posture , as gently as possible , and continue meditating . Most importantly , we have to gradually learn to accept the unpleasant as well as the pleasant sensations, with out pushing or pulling a particular kind of experience/sensations . This is what we learn in a 10 day course , and try our best in applying it in our lives . You can also consult with the teacher who was present during your course . And don't forget to end your meditation with metta bhavana , for yourself and also for all beings . It helps very much.

Sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
greenfly

Post by greenfly »

Thank you Sanjay....
In scanning the body , what should be the object of vipassana meditation ??the sholder,palm,front,toes....or any body part, or the developing consciosness of sensations between mind and body parts.??
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

greenfly wrote:Thank you Sanjay....
In scanning the body , what should be the object of vipassana meditation ??the sholder,palm,front,toes....or any body part, or the developing consciosness of sensations between mind and body parts.??

Hello ,

One moves the attention from the head to the soles of the feet and then again backwards ( please don't move the attention in a flash, best to go part by part, probably 10-15 minutes , later it naturally progresses on to becomes much quicker, but at times or most times, the flow will again slow down or block up . We should not miss any body part while scanning ( one has to focus on the sensations on the body parts , and not its form ) . Equanimity is gradually built up on the self-evident changing nature of these sensations , this in turn goes on to gradually reduce the intensity of our " perceived " likes and dislikes ,thus making us that much more happy and well . If you find that the mind is not able to feel any sensations , you can go back to the awareness of the breath , and when the mind has sufficiently calmed down , move over to Vipassana . Keeping the 5 precepts , as much as possible in day to day living helps very much in this regard. As time goes by , we ourselves get to understand that keeping the 5 precepts is not just a choice , but a necessity for us to progress on the path of Dhamma . This experiential understanding is that what makes Dhamma most profound and interesting :-)

I would request you in considering doing a one day/3 day course, now that you have done a 10 day course . The one day courses ( usually 9 am to 5 pm ) are regularly held on most Sundays in established centers , and you can also use this opportunity in clearing your doubts first hand with the conducting teacher .This would be the best course of action .Also doing another 10 day course ( probably in a centre where the course is conducted both in English as well as your native language ) , may well go on to clear the confusion that you have asked . Importantly , dont give up all together , it takes time , and we all keep learning .

Best regards ,
Sanjay

Note : Metta bhavana , kindly do not miss out on this , at the end of the every sitting ; may i be happy , may i be well, may i be peaceful ; may all beings be happy , well and peaceful . Its a most wonderful balm :-)
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
greenfly

Post by greenfly »

Thanks a lot Sanjay,you are so kind... :anjali: