how much is enough

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jcsuperstar

how much is enough

Post by jcsuperstar »

when i read these forums (and the other too) the thing is see a lot from Theravada buddhists is there is never any end to quotes. it's like one must know a million suttas.

yet when i was a Zen buddhist this was never the case, now i read way more than i had to, but it seems like in zen, all you need to know is a few key sutras, some old stories and a few books by a few masters and you were set. the rest was just zazen. and you could get rather far with this. direct experience was the key not quotes and study.

is this even possible in theravada? is there an equivilent? or must we all become scholars?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
mikenz66

Re: how much is enough

Post by mikenz66 »

I guess the non-scholars don't bother to post and just practise...

Actually I seem to have read more Suttas than my (monastic) teachers, though my Bangladeshi teachers has quite a few memorised...

I'm trying to give up listening to Dhamma talks on MP3 on my walks too and from work. I think it's probably more beneficial to just treat it as a continuation of my morning meditation (get up, walk, sit, mindfully eat, walk to work...).

Metta
Mike
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Jc
jcsuperstar wrote:when i read these forums (and the other too) the thing is see a lot from Theravada buddhists is there is never any end to quotes. it's like one must know a million suttas.

yet when i was a Zen buddhist this was never the case, now i read way more than i had to, but it seems like in zen, all you need to know is a few key sutras, some old stories and a few books by a few masters and you were set. the rest was just zazen. and you could get rather far with this. direct experience was the key not quotes and study.

is this even possible in theravada? is there an equivilent? or must we all become scholars?
I guess the only sutta I "Know" at any level is the Satipatthana Sutta (not the Maha-Satipatthana I find the end to much for my purposes) the rest I may know a section or have to look them up? although I do on occasion flick through the Nikayas.

I suppose it is finding a balance between the two, both are useful to a certain extent to each other so it is a cans of experiment and find the way the suttas are only a guide!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Individual

Post by Individual »

jcsuperstar wrote:when i read these forums (and the other too) the thing is see a lot from Theravada buddhists is there is never any end to quotes. it's like one must know a million suttas.

I think it depends on what you're doing with it.

Dhammapada 1
Though much he recites the Sacred Texts, but acts not accordingly, that heedless man is like a cowherd who counts others' kine. He has no share in the fruits of the Holy life.

Though little he recites the Sacred Texts, but acts in accordance with the teaching, forsaking lust, hatred and ignorance, truly knowing, with mind well freed, clinging to naught here and hereafter, he shares the fruits of the Holy life.
Regarding Zen, as I pointed out before with Bodhidharma's Bloodstream Sermon:
If, though, by the conjunction of conditions, someone understands what the Buddha meant, that person doesn't need a teacher. Such a person has a natural awareness superior to anything taught. But unless you're so blessed, study hard, and by means of instruction you'll understand. People who don't understand and think they can do so without study are no different from those deluded souls who can't tell white from black.
Whereas a lot of lay followers of Zen Buddhism doesn't read suttas, as Ven. Huifeng on e-Sangha pointed out, most Zen monks do, at some point. Here is a list of stuff they might read.

It's not that the scholarly study of suttas is done for its own sake, but it's done as part of one's Dhamma. You might instead benefit more from hearing Dhamma talks by various Bhikkhus, or from focusing more heavily on meditation. However, regardless, even merely reading the suttas is said to bring great benefit.

With metta :heart:,
Individual
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
bodom

Post by bodom »

When i can answer a question from personal experience i will. When a question is asked that i have not personally verified for myself i will point that person to the scripture. In my experience there is not a question on the Dhamma that cannot be answered by looking in the scripture. And that is from personal experience.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
genkaku

Post by genkaku »

Dear jc -- I don't think it's an either-or situation. Sometimes sutras are helpful; sometimes they just gum up the works. Sometimes seated meditation is helpful. Sometimes it can lead people astray.

So which is which and what is preferable depends ... as it always has ... on you. Or me. Or whatever serious student should take up the path.

Damn! Wouldn't it be nice to put the responsibility on someone or something else? :jumping:

PS. Or as the Zen teacher Rinzai once put it: "Grasp and use, but never name." Just use what is useful when it is useful.
Last edited by genkaku on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

I think one must know a million suttas in order to answer questions knowledgeably. Also, being able to provide a quote along with one's answer helps instill confidence in the questioner that the answerer is more likely representing the Buddha's teaching. In other words, when I quote it shows you I'm not giving you my answer but rather the Buddha's answer. (If I gave you my answer your practice might end up being coffee and tv. :lol:)
now i read way more than i had to, but it seems like in zen, all you need to know is a few key sutras, some old stories and a few books by a few masters and you were set. the rest was just zazen. and you could get rather far with this. direct experience was the key not quotes and study.
I think that in any tradition if you have steady access to a teacher then you can get away with not reading much - any questions or uncertainties that may arise can be worked out between you and your teacher. And since your teacher is likely well versed in the texts it is very close to as if you read those texts yourself. But even if you do not have steady access to a teacher then you can find a good book about the scriptures and that too would be close enough.

So I think it's really just a difference in style. A Zen teacher might be more inclined to not quote texts and a Theravada teacher might be more inclined to quote but both teachings are grounded in the scriptures.
You only need to know as much as you need to keep your practice moving forward. :)

I will add that many people ask more questions than they need; they are often just indulging intellectual curiosity rather than focusing on what they need for their personal practice. Also there are people who have no confidence in teachers at all and try to go directly to the scriptures and figure it all out for themselves.

Oh, there might be another difference. In my sparse experience, a Zen teacher might be more inclined to answer a question with "Don't ask that question; just focus on your practice" whereas a Theravada teacher might be more inclined to answer whatever question is asked.

In the end, only you can know how much scripture you need. I hope this is helpful. :)

(Actually, genkaku said it well in much less space. :lol:)
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
thepea

Post by thepea »

jcsuperstar wrote: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 am when i read these forums (and the other too) the thing is see a lot from Theravada buddhists is there is never any end to quotes. it's like one must know a million suttas.

It seems that sutta quotations is the gospel here.
Hasn’t changed since 09
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:38 pm
jcsuperstar wrote: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:11 am when i read these forums (and the other too) the thing is see a lot from Theravada buddhists is there is never any end to quotes. it's like one must know a million suttas.

Hasn’t changed since 09
Having such a standard is some of the best forms of protection there is for the truth. Otherwise, anyone can just write a book or devise a system with nothing available for it to be measured against. As I always say - exclusively to you, I think - we are so fortunate to have the high standard described in the Pali canon as protection against those who would go around saying whatever pleases them and call it Dhamma.

And just for your information, the member you quoted passed away many years ago.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SDC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:40 pm
thepea wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:38 pm It seems that sutta quotations is the gospel here.
Hasn’t changed since 09
Having such a standard is some of the best forms of protection there is for the truth. Otherwise, anyone can just write a book or devise a system with nothing available for it to be measured against. As I always say - exclusively to you, I think - we are so fortunate to have the high standard described in the Pali canon as protection against those who would go around saying whatever pleases them and call it Dhamma.
:thumbsup: :goodpost:
thepea

Post by thepea »

SDC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:40 pm
thepea wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:38 pm

Hasn’t changed since 09

And just for your information, the member you quoted passed away many years ago.
Yes, I know he’s dead.
I wasn’t quoting him for a response I just saw this thread and thought to bump it as his concerns seem as relevant 14yrs later.
I think mostly an online phenomenon where the academic types can flex.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

You have to read the teaching, understand

Then and only then… you can reach the goal
Last edited by cappuccino on Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDC

Post by SDC »

thepea wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:10 pm I think mostly an online phenomenon where the academic types can flex.
Yes, and also baselessly claim they are qualified to teach.

Once again, the Pali canon will be there as a reliable guide as to what qualifies as the teaching. Indeed, the texts don’t get the final word, but they do get the first. Truly fortunate.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Johann

Post by Johann »

SDC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:32 pm
thepea wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:10 pm I think mostly an online phenomenon where the academic types can flex.

Once again, the Pali canon will be there as a reliable guide as to what qualifies as the teaching. Indeed, the texts don’t get the final word, but they do get the first. Truly fortunate.
For the most, good householder, the Canon is no more there (under the heirs), and so, how could it guide anybody out as it is used to bind in and trade? But people get what they desire. It just doesn't last.

Many poster in this topic had already changed their Thana (died all to early for access away), even text near, very less would follow the way of "enough is enough", whouldn't they?

There are many Dhammas which can't be enough, such as Sati (remembering). If always remembering then disenchantment wouldn't be that for but a drive to follow up the nearly lost path, let those delight in holding and creation, create.

Truly unfurtunate when one feels secure in the insecure, takes thinks in the world and domesticated as refuge.

How much time left? How much good conditions not already long time waste off?
thepea

Post by thepea »

SDC wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:32 pm

I see the canon as a neatly politicized tool for religious control.