Most Important Ideas of Theravadin Buddhism?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
pink_trike

Re: Most Important Ideas of Theravadin Buddhism?

Post by pink_trike »

BlackBird wrote:
christopher::: wrote:Buddha taught so much more beyond the 4 noble truths and the 8 fold path.
Actually this is all the Buddha taught.
These Four Noble Truths are very profound, and every teaching within the Pali Canon is simply a constituent elaboration.
[
Agreed
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

christopher::: wrote:Two copies of The Heart of Buddhist Meditation, by Thera Nyanaponika arrived in excellent condition from Amazon Japan yesterday. Thanks again for the recommendation, Tilt..!

I'll be giving the second copy to my friend Michael. He's been interested in Theravadin Buddhism for some time, now we have something in common. Our conversations were limited when I spoke mostly Zen...

:tongue:
You might also want to turn your friend on to:

Seeking The Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation by Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Thanks for the recommendation, PT. I discovered Goldstein's Insight Meditation: The Practice of Freedom on one of my book shelves. I knew i'd read it in the early 1990s but had forgotten the specifics. I'm working thru that again now, too.

:anjali:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Christopher,
tiltbillings wrote:christopher:::,

Let me suggest that you track down a copy of The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: Satipatthna: A Handbook of Mental Training Based on the Buddha's Way of Mindfulness by Thera Nyanaponika and Joseph Goldstein's Experience of Insight , both of which you can get used on Amazon for next to nothing plus shipping. They are the Western classics in the discussion of mindfulness/vipassana/satipatthana meditation and are well worth the time spent with them.

tilt
While my internet was down over the last few weeks I started to re-read Nyanaponka Thera's Heart of Buddhist Meditation.
Its the first time I've been re-reading the classic in over 20 years. It really is a masterpiece and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
I agree with Tilt. Do yourself a favour and get yourself a copy.
Kind regards

Ben

EDIT:
OK, I've just seen that you've already received a copy or two. In that case, I hepe you get out if it as much as I did.
metta
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..

Hi Ben. I'm glad to hear that Nyanaponka Thera's classic has received your thumbs up as well. Talked with my friend last night, by phone. He was pleased to hear i'd thought of him and bought the extra copy.

We share a 30 minute car ride out to a University in the countryside where we both teach, on Friday mornings. This will give us some nitty gritty dhamma themes to discuss, and a common language. Everything seems to be working out most fortuitously.

:group:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Chris

When I read your question what immediately came to mind was the importance of stream entry as the goal. Some might argue that having goals is counterproductive but I think considering the number of times the Buddha has praised this goal (and others) it is important to consider its beneficial effects. I feel it gives motivation for long term practice (having a goal which is somewhat larger than yourself) and also directs practice in the right direction.

SN 13.1 PTS: S ii 133 CDB i 621
Nakhasikha Sutta: The Tip of the Fingernail
translated from the Pali by
Thanissaro Bhikkhu
© 1999–2009
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Savatthi at Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. Then the Blessed One, picking up a little bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monks, "What do you think, monks? Which is greater: the little bit of dust I have picked up with the tip of my fingernail, or the great earth?"

"The great earth is far greater, lord. The little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail is next to nothing. It's not a hundredth, a thousandth, a one hundred-thousandth — this little bit of dust the Blessed One has picked up with the tip of his fingernail — when compared with the great earth."

"In the same way, monks, for a disciple of the noble ones who is consummate in view, an individual who has broken through [to stream-entry], the suffering & stress that is totally ended & extinguished is far greater. That which remains in the state of having at most seven remaining lifetimes is next to nothing: it's not a hundredth, a thousandth, a one hundred-thousandth, when compared with the previous mass of suffering. That's how great the benefit is of breaking through to the Dhamma, monks. That's how great the benefit is of obtaining the Dhamma eye."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

hi rowyourboat... thanks for that...

I'm really enjoying Nyanaponika Thera's book right now. He has some interesting things to say in relation to stream entry on pg. 13... that with the application of Mindfulness and the development of Insight (vipassana) stream entry eventually becomes almost unavoidable...

:namaste:

This is a very interesting idea! The importance of balancing the "five controlling faculties" aka, Indriya....

:smile:

Balancing the Five Controlling Faculties

Balancing the ‘controlling faculties’ or “Indriya” means the harmonizing of all five controlling faculties. This is one of the factors of the Buddha’s enlightenment and also one of the Dhamma in Bodhipakkhiyadhamma (the 37 qualities contributing to enlightenment). In other words, the Buddha succeeded in his enlightenment partly because he used these five controlling faculties in his enlightenment. Therefore, they are extremely important in the progress of mental practice in Buddhism.

Often it is found that failure in the practice of meditation occurs because one is using the wrong method of meditation practice, or the five controlling faculties are not strong enough, or the five controlling faculties are not balanced properly. Therefore, the reasoning behind and the methods for controlling and balancing the faculties will be explained to benefit one’s practical progress. “Indriya” means ‘being the master of one’s own task’. The five Indriya are:

1. Faith (Saddha-Indriya)

2. Energy (Viriya-Indriya)

3. Mindfulness (Sati-Indriya)

4. Concentration (Samadhi-Indriya)

5. Understanding or wisdom (Panna-Indriya)

These five are called “Indriya” since each is the master of its own task. Saddha-Indriya is the master of faith, whose function is to provide an unshakable faith. It is believed that no other faculty can perform this duty, so it is very powerful in its own realm. However, it has no power in the domains of the other four Indriya. Viriya-Indriya is the master of the energy faculty with the function of making effort. Sati-Indriya is the master of mindfulness and performs the functions of having clear comprehension of natural phenomena, suppressing defilements, and acting as the “overseer” of the controlling faculties. Samadhi-Indriya is the master of concentration and functions to develop the deep, calm awareness needed for both Tranquillity and Insight meditation, while Panna-Indriya is the master of understanding and functions to develop penetrating, transcendent or supreme Wisdom.

The five Indriya are masters of their corresponding tasks similar to the six Indriya, namely the eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, and consciousness. These are the sense organs that perform their own respective functions or tasks, that is, the eyes see, the ears hear, and so on. Not one of the six sense organs can perform the task of the other sense organs because each is the master of its own task and no other.

Moreover, these five Dhamma (Saddha, Viriya, Sati, Samadhi, and Panna) are also considered to have been the “Bala” or ‘power for the Buddha’s Enlightenment’ and are their own power as well.

1. ‘Faith’—“Saddha”, refers to believing in what should be believed concerning Buddhism. The following is a brief explanation of what should be believed.

(A) Believing in the existence of kamma (Kamma-saddha) or of wholesome and unwholesome deeds and not believing in the power of gods or stars or their power to affect people’s fates.

(B) Belief in the result of kamma (Vipaka-saddha). That is, the belief that those who do good will receive good and those who do evil will receive evil, sooner or later. The fruit of kamma is produced the same way as the fruit of a tree that grows from a tiny seed of the same kind.

(C) Belief that everyone is heir to his own kamma (Kammassakata-saddha). In other words, each of us must endure the consequences of our own kamma, no one else can do this for us.

(D) Belief in the enlightenment of the Buddha (Tahagatabodhi-saddha). This belief is especially important to meditation practice because if the meditator does not believe that the Buddha is enlightened and that meditation practice will develop the mind until it is freed from all sufferings, then he has no confidence and no faith in what he is doing. This produces a disturbed mind, a state of mind which is not conducive to making progress.

Therefore, it is necessary for a meditator to have faith up to the high level of Saddha by wholeheartedly believing in the enlightenment of the Buddha; in the Eightfold Noble Path, that is, in Sila, Samadhi, and Panna, that they certainly lead the way out of suffering. Such faith will build up strength to sweep from our minds the shadows of doubt and fear so that we are encouraged to do mental practice.

2. ‘Energy for Effort’—“Viriya”. The meditator must earnestly and continuously practice everyday without fail in order to exercise the power of perseverance. The more one accomplishes by attempting to practice each day, the sooner one will arrive at the desired goal. A half-hearted practice each day cannot increase the strength of the non-collected mind.

Hence, mental practice must be performed persistently, day after day, week after week, month after month. In so doing, if one is not successful in the beginning, one will eventually be successful just from the strength of one’s energetic pursuit of success.

3. ‘Mindfulness’—“Sati”, is a necessary factor for meditation practice. Without the power of mindfulness, it is difficult for one to have a clear comprehension of natural phenomena and it is hard for one to suppress defilements. When mindfulness is weak defilements will emerge, so cultivation of mindfulness should be of major concern to the meditator. It should be strong enough to reach the level of strong mindfulness (“Satibala”: ‘powerful mindfulness’).

4. ‘Concentration’—“Samadhi”, is also a necessary factor for meditation practice. Without the power of concentration, it is difficult for one to collect one’s mind and to develop the calm, penetrating awareness that is necessary for both Tranquillity meditation (Samatha) and Insight meditation (Vipassana).

5. ‘Understanding or Wisdom’—“Panna” is perhaps one of the most important factors for meditation practice because without understanding, one cannot be completely free from the subtle, delicate level of defilements. Without Wisdom one will find it difficult, if not impossible, to achieve the highest goal of Buddhism which is total freedom from the wheel of birth and death, or Nirvana.

To get to this high level, one must have a clear comprehension of the conditioned objects (name and form) and realize that conditioned objects have the Three Characteristics of Impermanence, Suffering, and Non-self. These Three Characteristics of conditioned objects are the conventional truths that, when properly understood, guide one to avoid becoming attached to oneself and to conditioned objects. By contemplating on these truths one gains strength of wisdom.

Anyone who has strengthened these five Indriya has thus created an equilibrium of the mind which will help in the progress of his mental practice. If these five Indriya do in fact occur, but are out of balance, then they cannot be used effectively for mental practice.

To harmonize and balance these controlling faculties, one should make sure that faith (Saddha) and wisdom (Panna) are equally strong. Likewise, concentration (Samadhi) should be linked and balanced with effort (Viriya). Finally, mindfulness (Sati) is the binding thread running throughout the entire process.

source: http://mahamakuta.inet.co.th/english/b-way(12).html
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes, that's a nice summary. Balance is important. It's something that most teachers I know talk about.

But as I've pointed out before, it's not a new idea. It's in the Classical Commentaries and Visuddhimagga...

And see: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... tm#indriya" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Indriya-samatta: 'equilibrium, balance, or harmony of abilities', relates to the 5 spiritual abilities: faith, energy, awareness or mindfulness, concentration and understanding see: indriya 15-19. Of these there are two pairs of abilities, in each of which both abilities should well counter-balance each other, namely: faith and understanding saddhā paññā on the one hand and energy and concentration viriya samādhi on the other. For excessive faith with deficient understanding leads to blind belief, whilst excessive understanding with deficient faith leads to cunning. In the same way, great energy with weak concentration leads to restlessness, whilst strong concentration with deficient energy leads to indolence. Though for both abilities in each of the 2 pairs a balanced degree of intensity is desirable, awareness or mindfulness should be allowed to develop to the highest degree of strength. Cf. Vis.M III- App..
Mike

Hi Mike. Yes, indeed, its not a new idea at all..! These all seem to fall under the category of Bodhipakkhiya dhamma, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhipakkhiyadhamma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the 7 Factors of Awakening, while related, has some different faculties included.
Seven factors of Enlightenment (bojjhanga)

1. Mindfulness (sati)
2. Investigation (dhamma vicaya)
3. Energy (viriya)
4. Joy (piti/mudita)
5. Tranquility (passaddhi)
6. Concentration (samadhi)
7. Equanimity (upekkha)
Any ideas about why these were grouped separately, distinctive from the Indriya?

Here's what is written over at Wikipedia...
In Buddhism, bodhipakkhiyā dhammā (Pali, variant spellings include bodhipakkhikā dhammā and bodhapakkhiyā dhammā; Skt.: bodhipakṣa dharma) are qualities (dhammā) conducive or related to (pakkhiya) Enlightenment or Awakening (bodhi).

In the Pali commentaries, the term bodhipakkhiyā dhammā is applied to seven sets of such qualities regularly mentioned by the Buddha throughout the Pali Canon. Within these seven sets of Enlightenment qualities, there is a total of thirty-seven individual qualities (sattatiṃsa bodhipakkhiyā dhammā).

These seven sets of qualities are recognized by both Theravada and Mahayana Buddhists as complementary facets of the Buddhist Path to Enlightenment.
Its a pity that more Zen Buddhists don't dig into these ideas, imo. They can be extremely helpful.

:heart:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

christopher::: wrote:Hi Mike. Yes, indeed, its not a new idea at all..! These all seem to fall under the category of Bodhipakkhiya dhamma, right?
Yes, see also http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... hamm%C4%81" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
christopher::: wrote: Any ideas about why these were grouped separately, distinctive from the Indriya?
Thanissoro Bhikkhu has a whole book on the "Wings to Awakening"
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which you can download as a PDF.

I guess the short answer is that these lists are used in the Suttas in different contexts and are useful for different purposes. [Similarly to how one can analyse experience in terms of the khandhas (aggregates) or the sense bases - slicing experience in a different way...]

The way I see it, the faculties/powers tend to be "tools" one can be applying in "real time" time to practise. In particular, one can adjust energy and concentration if they get out of whack (too much energy and you are restless, too much concentration and you tend towards sloth). Different teachers have different ideas on how to do the balancing... Many of the factors of enlightenment seem to be more like things that get developed (rapture, for example) and tend to be talked about in a sequential manner:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#part2-g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However, one can not be too black-and-white about this.

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually, I though the balancing was just a Commentary thing, but there is some hint of it in this Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were neither too taut nor too loose, but tuned to be right on pitch, was your vina in tune & playable?"

"Yes, lord."

"In the same way, Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune2the pitch of the [five] faculties [to that], and there pick up your theme."
However, it's not a balancing between faculties...

Mike

Lot's of great ideas to think about. Thanks for all the info, Mike.

And that musical analogy fits perfectly- where all the strings on a piano or guitar need to be in tune, in order for a musician to play well... In this case, we need to be in tune with the dhamma, right? In a wide variety of ways...
"And what do you think: when the strings of your vina were neither too taut nor too loose, but tuned to be right on pitch, was your vina in tune & playable?"
Each faculty, skill, aspect of practice needs to be mastered, in tune, each "string" as important and essential as the next...

Ben

Post by Ben »

If memory serves me well, the simile of the lute appears elsewhere.
I think, and I don't have a reference for it, it was at the end of the Bodhisatta's ascetic and anorexic adventures when he overheard/was involved in a conversation when he was inspired by the metaphor of the strings of the lute being not too taught nor too slack.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..

Ben wrote:If memory serves me well, the simile of the lute appears elsewhere.
I think, and I don't have a reference for it, it was at the end of the Bodhisatta's ascetic and anorexic adventures when he overheard/was involved in a conversation when he was inspired by the metaphor of the strings of the lute being not too taught nor too slack.
Kind regards

Ben
Beautiful..! It's a metaphor that fits well.

It's hard for me to find the words to express how i'm feeling, now. Been reading a lot lately, especially getting into Nyanaponika Thera's explanations... also, listening to Joseph Goldstein. Have made some changes in behavior, different elements coming together... I think over the last month i've gained a better understanding of some of my own particular habit patterns-- fetters and hindrances...

And as i am reading The Heart of Buddhist Meditation its like my mind is suddenly "getting" some things i had not realized before. It's like the true wisdom of the dharma is becoming clearer, especially as a method for liberation.

I'm just more in awe of the Buddha's genius then ever before...

:heart: