Should one try to convert non-Buddhists?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Should one try to convert non-Buddhists?

Post by Sam Vara »

manas wrote:Over the years, I've been approached by a number of Christian missionary types trying to convert me to their religion. I would never want to impose this sort of annoyance on anyone else. Just leave people alone, I think. If they want to investigate a new religion, they only need do a quick Google search.
I take your point, but for some reason this has never bothered me. Usually I am just struck by how sincere they are, and touched in some way by their concern for me. I often leave these encounters with a vague sense of uplift.
manas

Post by manas »

Sam Vara wrote:
manas wrote:Over the years, I've been approached by a number of Christian missionary types trying to convert me to their religion. I would never want to impose this sort of annoyance on anyone else. Just leave people alone, I think. If they want to investigate a new religion, they only need do a quick Google search.
I take your point, but for some reason this has never bothered me. Usually I am just struck by how sincere they are, and touched in some way by their concern for me. I often leave these encounters with a vague sense of uplift.
I think this shows you see the best in people, and I respect you for that. But in my experience, well sometimes they truly do it out of concern, but sometimes, the underlying reason they do it is to bolster their own lack of faith. By getting someone else to agree with us, we then feel more 'sure' of ourselves as being 'right'. Have you ever noticed how no-one is more zealous to convert others, than a brand new convert, of any religion? This is a phenomenon often witnessed. The new convert is seeking to validate him/herself by also convincing others. There is a self-serving element in this, see what I mean?
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

manas wrote: I think this shows you see the best in people, and I respect you for that. But in my experience, well sometimes they truly do it out of concern, but sometimes, the underlying reason they do it is to bolster their own lack of faith. By getting someone else to agree with us, we then feel more 'sure' of ourselves as being 'right'. Have you ever noticed how no-one is more zealous to convert others, than a brand new convert, of any religion? This is a phenomenon often witnessed. The new convert is seeking to validate him/herself by also convincing others. There is a self-serving element in this, see what I mean?
First, I have to confess that I also get irritated by other things that people do - we all have our buttons that others can press!

Yes, I certainly do see your point. There is also the fact that, having created converts, some groups then maintain a constant "group high" through music and emotional language, and a sense of mission. It's as if the beliefs themselves won't stand reflection, but people need to distract themselves through movement and becoming. Similar phenomenon, I think.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Jehovah Witness people very often knock my door.
I was never irritated.
I just welcome them and talk to them and ask questions.
They ask people to be good and be happy.
I think they are doing a some sort of a service too.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
manas

Post by manas »

I have a friend who is a committed Mormon. To her credit, she has agreed to my request that, in order for us to be able to hang out together without any conflicts arising, that neither of us will mention religion to the other (she used to try to convert me...it did not exactly foster peace between us). It's actually working well thus far. Our friendship is now simply as one human being to another; it's a 'conversion-free zone'. Halleluiah :toast:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.