dating a girl of 18 when i am 22

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

dating a girl of 18 when i am 22

Post by mario92 »

Hi have a question, i dont know if i should date a girl of 18, 4 years lesser than me, im 22, so is it a bad idea do take her to a movie or something like that? i say it because in one sutta the buddha explain that having a partner more young can be a cause of downfall because of jealousy. Can you explain me how and what cases are in this explanation?

thank you
;) Mario
robertk

Re: dating a girl of 18 when i am 22

Post by robertk »

The Buddha explained a very old man takes a young woman (or women ) as consort/s but then worries that they might be ah, 'playing around' behind his back with younger cabelleros. The worry will cause him grief.

So the question is whether an ageing Romeo like you has the confidence to compete against the young studs..
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

You should never, ever date a woman who is more than a week younger than you are.

I'm joking. If the two of you appear equal or similar in age and beauty, there isn't much reason to worry (except for the usual romantic troubles of course).
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Parabhava Sutta says:
20. A person past his youth takes as wife, a girl in her teens, and sleeps not being jealous of her — this is the cause of his downfall.
You are not past your youth — not by a long way. Perhaps if you were 30 the age difference might be too much.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

thank you bhikkhu pesala, thank you also reductor and robertk :) :tongue:
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Parabhava Sutta says:
20. A person past his youth takes as wife, a girl in her teens, and sleeps not being jealous of her — this is the cause of his downfall.
You are not past your youth — not by a long way. Perhaps if you were 30 the age difference might be too much.
and what if the person past her youth takes a boy in his teens....? what happens? the same?
We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

lotus flower wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Parabhava Sutta says:
and what if the person past her youth takes a boy in his teens....? what happens? the same?
I think the answer should be obvious. If a woman past her prime gets sexually involved with a young man or teenager, then she is liable to get jealous if a young woman shows her BF some attention.

There's no hard and fast rule about the age gap that works for relationships, but the Parabhava Sutta clearly says that the older person cannot sleep due to jealousy. That is less likely to be a problem if the couple are well matched.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
lotus flower

Post by lotus flower »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
I think the answer should be obvious. If a woman past her prime gets sexually involved with a young man or teenager, then she is liable to get jealous if a young woman shows her BF some attention.

There's no hard and fast rule about the age gap that works for relationships, but the Parabhava Sutta clearly says that the older person cannot sleep due to jealousy. That is less likely to be a problem if the couple are well matched.
Venerable :namaste: is it all reason of the wrong doing? jealousy is impossible if a person meeting with the young girl or boy only sometimes and they don't walk to places so they are simply don't near to other persons. then how the older get jealousy?
We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

mario92 wrote:Hi have a question, i dont know if i should date a girl of 18, 4 years lesser than me, im 22, so is it a bad idea do take her to a movie or something like that? i say it because in one sutta the buddha explain that having a partner more young can be a cause of downfall because of jealousy. Can you explain me how and what cases are in this explanation?

thank you
;) Mario
My partner is 6 years younger than myself and you are over a decade younger than me. A friend of mine has a partner who is over a decade younger than him. Age difference is not what matters, rather it is how the relationship is.
It isn't a bad idea, nor is it what the Buddha was probably referring too by more youthful than yourself. If you think she is out of your league just look at some of the celebrities who have partners that society deam far more attractive than them!

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
thepea

Post by thepea »

You can't jump more than two points!

LON
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

robertk wrote:The Buddha explained a very old man takes a young woman (or women ) as consort/s but then worries that they might be ah, 'playing around' behind his back with younger cabelleros.

Very old man, like 80? Then yes, I see a problem. But even then, there is Hugh Hefner...
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Im not interessted anymore in a relationship of couple because most of the people here drink alcohol and i found it nonsense that kind of relationship because all the twisted things in it and its results. Drink alcohol makes you commit adultery and diminishes happinness and prosperity, so the most people here in Mexicali drink alcohol, these are alcohol relationship. I prefer to work towards tranquility and non shows life, i think if one go further in virtue onself can start to restrain the senses and practice meditation with sense wich means true tranquility. :) :D May be i would need some buddhist girl to have a relationship or maybe go further than sense pleasure.
Last edited by mario92 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

And you know what people do how exactly?
mario92 wrote:Im not interessted anymore in a relationship of couple because most of the people here drink alcohol and i found it nonsense that kind of relationship because all the twisted things in it and its results. Drink alcohol makes you commit adultery and diminishes happinness and prosperity, so the most people here drink alcohol, these are alcohol relationship. I prefer to work towards tranquility and non shows life, i think if one go further in virtue onself can start to restrain the senses and practice meditation with sense wich means true tranquility. :) :D May be i would need some buddhist girl to have a relationship or maybe go further than sense pleasure.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Hi cittasanto i think, they do a relationship based in alcohol, shows and so on, evrey time i go with my family to a show or eat in a restaurant i found it in detrimental my spiritual practice, i see as i experience the bad results of doing that as a waste of time or nonsense. I dont know if this is the correct answeer to your question, i didnt understood it very well. Can you explain it please? :)
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Well considering you make an assertion about others I wanted to know how you know. Like I suspected you are just guessing and making unfounded aspersions.
Many here don't drink and use every situation as a opportunity to practice.

John Stuart Mill