Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ngawang Drolma.

Re: Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

gavesako wrote:A Thai friend who is doing an MA in the Study of Religions would like know more about the views and attitudes of Western Buddhists. If you would like to help her, please answer the questions below (it could also be an interesting survey for Dhammawheel users in general).

----------------------
I am interested in Buddhism in the West.
I would like to know how Westerners practice Buddhism and their perspectives.
Thus, if you don't mind , could you please answers questions as follows;

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes
2. Are you interested in Buddhism because of the meditation?
There are many reasons I'm interested in Buddhism, and meditation is certainly one of those reasons.
3. If you are a Buddhist, do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?
In my tradition, our practices are carried on throughout the day in all of our activities. Social meritorious activities are very important too. I'm not sure I can qualify one as being more significant than the other at this point. It's all important and part of the path. But I can say that the sadhanas (practices) that we do are hugely important.
4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?
and how this activity is important to you?
I believe that in addition to giving dana, a lot of wholesome karma can and will carry on to our next life. We can't know the inner workings and details of karma and vipaka such as when karmic fruit will ripen. I also believe that meritorious actions can serve as a way to purify negative karma, which can span across lifetimes.
5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age
Laura, from the United States, female, laity, BA in psychology, divorced, 37.

:anjali:
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

gavesako wrote:A Thai friend who is doing an MA in the Study of Religions would like know more about the views and attitudes of Western Buddhists. If you would like to help her, please answer the questions below (it could also be an interesting survey for Dhammawheel users in general).

----------------------
I am interested in Buddhism in the West.
I would like to know how Westerners practice Buddhism and their perspectives.
Thus, if you don't mind , could you please answers questions as follows;

1. Are you a Buddhist?

Yes.

Not completely, it was the over all philosophy that included the meditation.

If you are a Buddhist ;
3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?
Yes, and this is because of the mental state it creates that allows one to focus and see and think correctly, does that make sense? Mental discipline, ja!

4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?
Well, I think it is a good thing to do for yourself emotional but I don't know how much it helps. I read a passage in which the Buddha said that to think about all the death and other lives will distract you from the here and now and that is what you need to be dealing with.

5. Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age
Shaun American Male Lay Working on a BA Married 31
zavk

Post by zavk »

Dear Bhante,

I will PM you my answers.
With metta,
zavk
Yeshe

Post by Yeshe »

More answers may be gained more quickly through organisations with large numbers of Western Buddhists, such as FWBO, FPMT, NKT etc.

(There must be several Theravadan organisations with Western disciples as well. I know of one which is very much 'Westernised' IMHO - The Aukana Trust - http://www.aukana.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. )

They may be willing to survey members and help in other ways. ;)
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Thank you to all who have answered here and by PM. This is not meant to be a very large statistical survey, so this much will probably do (but feel free to answer if you have not yet done so). :reading:
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Rui Sousa

Post by Rui Sousa »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
I believe so.

No. I am interested in Buddhism because I suffer and I feel Buddhism is the way out of suffering.

If you are a Buddhist ;
3. Do you see ‘ meditation’ as most relevant to the Dhamma practice rather than other social meritorious activities? why?

I see all eight elements onf the path as equally relevant.

Yes, I believe so. But I have never met any monk.

Rui Sousa, Portuguese, male, lay, Licenciate, maried, 34
With Metta
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
If i had to categorize then i would say yes
At first no, the four noble truths etc just made logical sense to me
If you are a Buddhist ;
No, the precepts are important moral trainings as well
I dont define Samsara in that way, i do however like to give to the monks when i can
Craig
Welsh/British
Lay
G.C.S.E, AS and A-levels (also passed a year of university)
Single

metta
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Tex

Post by Tex »

1. Are you a Buddhist?

Yes.

No, I was drawn to Buddhism because of the philosophy of it. If anything, it's the opposite of the question above -- I became interested in meditation because of Buddhism.

If you are a Buddhist ;

I find it hard to pick a "most relevant" part, but if I had to I would say studying. Without reading and understanding the teachings we wouldn't know why meritorious acts are important or how to meditate.

Yes, I believe that giving to monks generates merit, and moreso if the intention is simply to give to monks rather than to give to monks in order to generate merit.

Paul, American, Male, Lay, Bachelor of Arts, Single, 33.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
nomad

Post by nomad »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes.

Meditation was the reason for my initial research into Buddhism, but it is no longer the primary focus of my studies.

If you are a Buddhist ;
Yes, because socially meritorious activities done for the wrong reasons are no benefit to our spiritual life. Changes in the way we think and act must come from within our own hearts and minds before we can transfer those changes into socially meritorious activities.

4. Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)? and how this activity is important to you?
Yes, but it is more important to me to show unselfish generosity and to support the monks as teachers of the Dhamma as opposed to giving in hope of receiving merits across Samsara in return.

Wayne, American, Male, Layman, B.A., Single, 27

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying
Zack

Post by Zack »

1.Are you a Buddhist?

?, I have not taken formal refuge, I endeavor to follow the Buddhas teachings.

2.Are you interested in Buddhism because of the meditation?

No, I am interested in meditation because of Buddhism.

I see meditation as integral to the Buddhist practice

4.Do you think to give material requisites to monks (Dana) can generate merits across Samsara (transferring to next lives)?

Yes .
Merit is not why I support the Sangha.

5.Name (can be a fake name), nationality, sex, status (monastic / lay), education (such as BA etc.) , martial status , age

Zack
U.S.
M
Lay
Vocational
M
I am of nature to decay, I have not gone beyond decay.
I am of the nature to be diseased, I have not gone beyond disease.
I am of the nature to die, I have not done beyond death.
All that is mine, dear and delightful, will change and vanish.
I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, born of my kamma, related to
my kamma, abide supported by my kamma. Whatever kamma I shall do,
whether good or evil, of that I shall be the heir.
Thus we should frequently recollect.
- Upajjhatthana Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya v.57
Popo

Post by Popo »

1. Are you a Buddhist?

No.

Mostly. I'm also interested because it's moral positions seem to mirror my own and I find many of the cultural things associated with Buddhism are very aesthetically pleasing. But meditation and insights into my own psychology are the main things that draw me.

If you are a Buddhist ;

Feel free to disregard the answers below.. :)

Though I don't know if I consider what I do Dhamma practice (since my aim isn't Nibbana), I do think my own personal progress in life is best found when I do meditation AND I am virtuous. I think the two help each other.. So, I wouldn't put emphasis exclusively on either.

No. I don't believe in rebirth or karma. I do find charity to be an important part of my life (though I've never given to monks).

Esteban
US (currently)
Male
Non-Buddhist
Currently working on a BA
In a relationship. (Can't marry here...)
Theoretical approaches have their place and are, I suppose, essential but a theory must be tempered with reality.
-J. Nehru
GrahamR

Attitudes of Western Buddhists: 5 Questions to Answer

Post by GrahamR »

1. Are you a Buddhist?
Yes
Not primarlyIf you are a Buddhist ;
Yes, it is meant to accrue merit and creates self improvement.
Dana is important, but personally I think we should do good for the sake of doing good, not for the sake of merits.
Graham,British,Male, Lay,B.Ed.,Married,48
With metta :bow:
Graham
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Greetings Ven. Gavesako.

I a new at this forum, so I will take this as my introduction

1. Are you a Buddhist?
I may say YES, but I've been discovering Buddhism so slowly and progressively that I consider it a process, not a decision that I've taken in a precise moment for one specific reason. I've never had a religion and I don't consider Buddhism as a religion.

No. I'm interested in meditation because of Buddhism

I consider that Mindfulness and insight meditation are the most powerful tools to observe Dhamma (Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration). Meritorious activities are just another important part of the Eightfold Path.

I have not experimented this for myself, so I can not think about this. Since I arrived to Thailand (2 months ago) I am giving saibat every morning to the monks, but I don't expect anything in return. I do it because I have a high respect for the monks community and i like to support it.

Manuel, Spanish, Male, Lay, BEng, Married, 43

:namaste:
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

1. Yes
2. Meditation is important , so is Sila, and study.
3. See above .
4. Yes I do.
5.Valerie, British,female. lay, PHD,FBPA, married, myob.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

1. Are you a Buddhist?

Is there a test? Some days I think so. Some days I think not.
I guess that probably means not.

Not exclusively. I thought there might be some truth in it.. (meditation, and Buddhism)

If you are a Buddhist ;

Today, I think it's all good.

It's a blessing to give.

Marie. British. F. Lay. Degreed, married, and 50+yrs.