Run-of-the-mill

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
BlackBird

Run-of-the-mill

Post by BlackBird »

Sometimes we see this phrase appear in the Suttas, for example MN 26: Ariyapariyesana Sutta (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

What is the Pali word for Run-of-the-mill? Is it ever translated into english in another way?

:anjali: and thank you in advance
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
retrofuturist

Re: Run-of-the-mill

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Can't seem to see run-of-the-mill there but I'm tipping it's puthujjana, a.k.a. worldling.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Where in that discourse is it used? I could not find it using the IE "find" option nor with MS "find" option.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/search.p ... alm=suttas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Can't seem to see run-of-the-mill there but I'm tipping it's puthujjana, a.k.a. worldling.

Metta,
Retro. :)
Give that man a cookie. It is puthujjana.

Puthujjana [*prthag -- jana, thus puthu 1+jana, but from the point of Pali identical in form and meaning with puthu 2, as shown by use of puthu in similar cpds. and by C. explns. One may even say that puthu 1=pṛthak is not felt at all in the P. word. Trenckner (Notes 76) already hinted at this by saying "puthujjana, partly confounded with puthu"; a connection which also underlies its expln as "one -- of -- the -- many -- folk" at Kvu trsln 807 & 2913. It is felt to belong to puthu 2 in the same sense as Ger. "die breite Masse," or Gr. oi( polloi/. The expln at Nd1 308=328 is puthu -- nānā -- janā. A long and detailed etym. -- speculation expln of the term is found at DA i.59, trsld at Dhs trsln 258. The BSk. form is pṛthagjana Divy 133 etc.] an ordinary, average person (4 classes of ordinary people are discussed at Cpd. 49, 50), a common worldling, a man of the people, an ordinary man M i.1, 7, 135, 239, 323; iii.64, 227; S i.148; ii.94 sq. (assutạvā), 151 (id.); iii.46, 108, 162; iv.157, 196, 201 (assutavā), 206 sq.; v.362 (opp. to sotāpanna); A i.27, 147 (maraṇa -- dhammin), 178, 267; ii.129, 163; iii.54; iv.68, 97, 157, 372; Sn 351, 455, 706, 816, 859; Dh 59, 272; Vv 826 (=anariya VvA 321,+anavabodha); Nd1 146, 248; Ps i.61 sq., 143, 156; ii.27; Dhs 1003 (cp. DhsA 248 sq.); Vism 311 (=anariya); VbhA 133 (avijj' âbhikhūta, bhava -- taṇh' âbhibhūta), 186 (ummat<-> taka, opposed to upabrūhita -- ñāṇa -- purisa, exemplifying upādāna and kamma); DhA i.5 (opp. ariyasāvaka), 445; Sdhp 363.
-- kalyāṇaka (cp. BSk. pṛthagjana -- kalyāṇaka Divy 419, 429) an ordinary man striving after his spiritual good Nd1 477; Ps i.176; ii.190, 193. -- bhikkhu a bh. of the common sort DA i.269; VbhA 383. -- sukha ordinary happiness M i.454.

BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Hi there Retro, Tilt

Thanks for your responses.

I am sorry, I was reading a piece out of a book and got the citations mixed up.
What I was in fact reading was

Sukhamala Sutta: Refinement (AN 3.38)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Even though I was endowed with such fortune, such total refinement, the thought occurred to me: 'When an untaught, run-of-the-mill person, himself subject to death, not beyond death, sees another who is dead, he is horrified, humiliated, & disgusted, oblivious to himself that he too is subject to death, not beyond death. And if I — who am subject to death, not beyond death — were to be horrified, humiliated, & disgusted on seeing another person who is dead, that would not be fitting for me.' As I noticed this, the living person's intoxication with life entirely dropped away.
:anjali:
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

You are welcome. It is fun tracking down stuff like that, but then I am easily amused.

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I am now wandering down a side path wondering what the origin of run-of-the-mill is...A mill run is of course the stream that worked the water mill to grind the wheat or barley.....
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Sanghamitta wrote:I am now wandering down a side path wondering what the origin of run-of-the-mill is...A mill run is of course the stream that worked the water mill to grind the wheat or barley.....
The concept of a "mill" was used by nearly all premodern people to refer to the cyclical astronomical process of precession that takes place over a period of approx. 26,000 years...a process that was understood to cause periodic terrestrial changes. "Run of the mill" in this case would be used to refer to ignorant ordinary (worldly) people who are endlessly subject to the (grinding, repetitive) effects of the general cyclical events of life.

I recommend this book:

Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating the Origins of Human Knowledge And Its Transmission Through Myth by Giorgio de Santillana and Hertha von Dechen

...for a comprehensive look at how all premodern cultures described and related to the endless cycles of cycles that all living beings are subject to.
Last edited by pink_trike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Origin of meaning of Run-of-the-mill:
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... e=20010508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Interesting thank you.

:anjali:
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.