Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
walkart

Re: Ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat

Post by walkart »

Thank you very much for sharing !
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

walkart wrote:Thank you very much for sharing !
You are welcome friend I wish you all the best. Stay strong :heart:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I was there for a while over thirty years ago.
  1. The poisonous snakes, scorpions, and centipedes are not really a problem — they help to keep you mindful. Use a flash light when walking in the dark. Don't enter an enclosed space like a toilet unmindfully.
  2. The physical work and long walks are not a problem for young men — it is a healthy life-style, but if you have health issues or are over thirty-five it might be a problem.
  3. It can be cold in the Winter months (about 10°C) as the huts are raised off the ground and are well ventilated.
  4. The hardest part is probably staying up all night on full moon and new moon nights.
  5. Eating only once a day can be tough, especially when doing a lot of physical labour, but the diet of mostly sticky rice is not a problem — the food was adequate while I was there. I don't suppose it's any worse now.
  6. Walking for alms bare-foot on stony paths takes some getting accustomed to.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Italy230

Post by Italy230 »

What do people mean when they say you only learn vinaya at wat nanachat

I would like to hear criticisms of nanachat tradition so i can understand it better. Any welcome
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Italy230 wrote:What do people mean when they say you only learn vinaya at wat nanachat

I would like to hear criticisms of nanachat tradition so i can understand it better. Any welcome
Do you mean that people say:
1) you can learn the Vinaya only at Nanachat and nowhere else, or
2) the only thing one can learn at Nanachat is Vinaya?

In either case both I think is wrong and over simplification. Plus I don't think that there is a "Nanachat" tradition per se. It is a branch monastery of Wat Pah Pong and part of this tradition, the "Ajahn Chah Lineage". So to learn about this tradition - seeing you come from Italy - it might be the best to go and have a look what Wat Santacittarama (http://santacittarama.altervista.org/welcome.htm). No need to travel to Thailand or to waste time in the Internet ;)

The best way to learn about this place is to visit it. I don't think one really knows what Wat Pah Nanachat is all about by staying there for a couple of days, months or maybe even years though. :anjali:

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

Italy230

Post by Italy230 »

Sokehi wrote:
Italy230 wrote:What do people mean when they say you only learn vinaya at wat nanachat

Do you mean that people say:
1) you can learn the Vin
aya only at Nanachat and nowhere else, or
2) the only thing one can learn at Nanachat is Vinaya?

In either case both I think is wrong and over simplification. Plus I don't think that there is a "Nanachat" tradition per se. It is a branch monastery of Wat Pah Pong and part of this tradition, the "Ajahn Chah Lineage". So to learn about this tradition - seeing you come from Italy - it might be the best to go and have a look what Wat Santacittarama (http://santacittarama.altervista.org/welcome.htm). No need to travel to Thailand or to waste time in the Internet ;)

The best way to learn about this place is to visit it. I don't think one really knows what Wat Pah Nanachat is all about by staying there for a couple of days, months or maybe even years though. :anjali:
I hope too

Yes i mean people say the only thing learned is vinaya and it is all work and not much traditional meditation. I just read old post of monk dhammanado who said they do not teach much dhamma
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

That makes only sense if you compare it with other places and/or traditions. You might think there is a lot of work, and in other places too little. Or in other places too much dhamma study, or there not enough. As Ajahn Chah said: If you need a piece of rope longer than this, it is too short. If you need a piece of rope shorter than this, it's too long.

Still I agree that communal work is encouraged at Wat Pah Pong Monasteries so I have heard and in the case of Nanachat experienced myself. If you are looking for a monastery where you can learn a certain Meditation style this might be "too little meditation". But again as Ajahn Chah pointed out: "If you have time to breathe you have time to meditate". Ideally meditation never stops. Meditation of Metta and Anapanasati using "Bud-dho" as a meditation object/mantra is encouraged. As well as walking meditation. If you clean spitoons, toilets, your dwelling place or your body - that is where you can meditate and develop mindfulness. There are many opportunities for communal meditation as happens every morning for example. If you are looking for a lot of study and formal meditation training other places might be more suitable for you.

But again don't trust my words or those of others, it's for you to see. Santacittarama could be a place to start and have a look what it feels like to you. If the rope is too long or too short or just good enough. :anjali:

Italy230

Post by Italy230 »

Ok and i read that you must do 5 rains retreats with these teachers. Does this mean 5 years or 5 rain retreats because if rains it is just over 4 years yes?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

It seems to be a general expectation that monks will spend five rains with their preceptor, after which they are free to explore other places. Monks count their ordination time by the number of rains retreats. This will usually mean between 4 and a bit to five years, since the rains retreat is a 3 month period around July-October.

:anjali:
Mike
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

mikenz66 wrote:It seems to be a general expectation that monks will spend five rains with their preceptor, after which they are free to explore other places. Monks count their ordination time by the number of rains retreats. This will usually mean between 4 and a bit to five years, since the rains retreat is a 3 month period around July-October.
This is more five vassa under the close guidance of the community rather than literally "with their preceptor".
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Yes that's a more general way to put it.

Mike