Practice Buddhism and listening metal and goth music

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Kim OHara

Re: Practice Buddhism and listening metal and goth music

Post by Kim OHara »

Mkoll wrote:What the Buddha advises for serious practitioners is to refrain from music altogether. There is no Dhammically ideal music.
You could argue that listening to certain types of music are relatively more "wholesome" than listening to other types. I would even agree that listening to jazz or classical is more "wholesome" than listening to death metal. But listening to either form of music is not "Dhammically wholesome", which is what that sutta is talking about.

One should be very clear about what is strictly "Dhammically wholesome" and what is not.
Yes. I knew that but I was a bit sloppy in my choice of words.
Sorry.

:namaste:
Kim
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Kim OHara wrote:
Mkoll wrote:What the Buddha advises for serious practitioners is to refrain from music altogether. There is no Dhammically ideal music.
You could argue that listening to certain types of music are relatively more "wholesome" than listening to other types. I would even agree that listening to jazz or classical is more "wholesome" than listening to death metal. But listening to either form of music is not "Dhammically wholesome", which is what that sutta is talking about.

One should be very clear about what is strictly "Dhammically wholesome" and what is not.
Yes. I knew that but I was a bit sloppy in my choice of words.
Sorry.

:namaste:
Kim
No worries! I had an inkling that that was the case. Just pointing it out for anyone who didn't know.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

4.33 that is the kind of music I am listening to now days.
:)
Great performance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7UK-6aaNA
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Kim OHara wrote:
mikenz66 wrote: I saw that live once (in the middle of a concert of Cage prepared piano pieces) and it was actually surprisingly effective and engaging. I'm not joking, actually sitting attentively for 4'33" listening to nothing is an interesting experience...

Mike
It is, at least partly, an exercise in mindfulness.
Did you really hear nothing, or did you hear all sorts of things that you rarely pay attention to?

It's also a comment on how regarding something as 'music' changes the way we perceive it.

You can play it yourself, of course, any time.

:thinking:
Kim
Yes, of course it's a kind of mindfulness thing. It was about 25 years ago, so I don't remember all the details.

It's not the same playing it by yourself. A concert-hall full of people doing the same thing is a very different experience. Of course, that goes for any musical performance...

Mike
wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

Buddha adviced that we should avoid to BAD SPECH, BAD WORDS, BAD TALKINGS, BAD FRIENDS. in metal, goth, punk and similar music are there right spech, right words, right talkings? not so....... dark spech, dark words, dark talking, dark friends.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Mahākammavibhanga Sutta should be studied to learn more. It really is very difficult to know who will be reborn in hell, and who will escape. The virtuous who die with evil thoughts will be, while the wicked who die with wholesome thoughts will not.

Anyone who is not a Stream-winner might be reborn in hell after this life — to reduce the risks of a low rebirth we should all practice the Dhamma as well as we can manage with a sense of urgency.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Mahākammavibhanga Sutta should be studied to learn more. It really is very difficult to know who will be reborn in hell, and who will escape. The virtuous who die with evil thoughts will be, while the wicked who die with wholesome thoughts will not.

Anyone who is not a Stream-winner might be reborn in hell after this life — to reduce the risks of a low rebirth we should all practice the Dhamma as well as we can manage with a sense of urgency.
Venerable. :namaste: There are some suttas about who follow the Dhamma can not reborn in lower worlds. if the person is not a Stream Entry but made a lot of right effort in regulary meditations, and have big faith in Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha then can not born in lower world. since the lot of right efforts and faith will help at death.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

wolf1 wrote: i asked a teacher about it. he told that who listen these music such person will reborn in hell.
Just out of curiosity, was that a Theravada, Mahayana or Vajrayana teacher ?

I think with loud heavy mental music, the hell one is reborn in is probably the Hell of Hearing Loss!

I used to listen to different kinds of music a lot, especially when I was married to a musician. However after I got involved with Buddhist practice, it gradually faded from my 'must have's' until discovered that I prefer silence.

wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

Aloka wrote:
wolf1 wrote: i asked a teacher about it. he told that who listen these music such person will reborn in hell.
Just out of curiosity, was that a Theravada, Mahayana or Vajrayana teacher ?

I think with loud heavy mental music, the hell one is reborn in is probably the Hell of Hearing Loss!

I used to listen to different kinds of music a lot, especially when I was married to a musician. However after I got involved with Buddhist practice, it gradually faded from my 'must have's' until discovered that I prefer silence.

THERAVADA

NO DOUBT i think rock, punk, metal and similar music are music of ANGER !! WHY? Why singers shout? why they singing as shouting? because they are all angry. drummers are also seems as angry. why? it seems like..... :computerproblem:

MUSIC OF ANGER, MUSIC OF BAD TALKING!

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

NO DOUBT i think rock, punk, metal and similar music are music of ANGER !! WHY? Why singers shout? why they singing as shouting? because they are all angry. drummers are also seems as angry. why? it seems like.....

Lol, no need to shout in capitals as well!

I think a lot of it is just acting out a part for a particular type of music.

I know musicians (including metal) who are really gentle & mild natured. They are certainly not angry people in everyday life.

Anyway, if you feel its negative, why listen to it ? Try something sweet & melodic instead .....or better still, natural sounds around you.

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:The Mahākammavibhanga Sutta should be studied to learn more. It really is very difficult to know who will be reborn in hell, and who will escape. The virtuous who die with evil thoughts will be, while the wicked who die with wholesome thoughts will not.

Sadhu!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
wolf1

Post by wolf1 »

Aloka wrote:
NO DOUBT i think rock, punk, metal and similar music are music of ANGER !! WHY? Why singers shout? why they singing as shouting? because they are all angry. drummers are also seems as angry. why? it seems like.....

Lol, no need to shout in capitals as well!

I think a lot of it is just acting out a part for a particular type of music.

I know musicians (including metal) who are really gentle & mild natured. They are certainly not angry people in everyday life.

Anyway, if you feel its negative, why listen to it ? Try something sweet & melodic instead .....or better still, natural sounds around you.

i don't listen any metal rock punk or similar music, i stopped it 5 or 6 months ago. and i will never listen again. "
I know musicians (including metal) who are really gentle & mild natured. They are certainly not angry people in everyday life." - peoples can feel hate in their heart. it's inner hate. they don't talking about their angry. peoples can feel silent, sad hate in their heart.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Aloka wrote:I know musicians (including metal) who are really gentle & mild natured. They are certainly not angry people in everyday life
wolf1 wrote:peoples can feel hate in their heart. it's inner hate. they don't talking about their angry. peoples can feel silent, sad hate in their heart
You've never met my friends, so you shouldn't make wild assumptions about them.

martinfrank

Post by martinfrank »

Aloka wrote:
Aloka wrote:I know musicians (including metal) who are really gentle & mild natured. They are certainly not angry people in everyday life
wolf1 wrote:peoples can feel hate in their heart. it's inner hate. they don't talking about their angry. peoples can feel silent, sad hate in their heart
You've never met my friends, so you shouldn't make wild assumptions about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99BVuDezl0s#t=251 Long live Black Veil Brides!

"Actually it's a little Bach Fugue!"
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

wolf1 wrote:i don't listen any metal rock punk or similar music, i stopped it 5 or 6 months ago. and i will never listen again. "
I know musicians (including metal) who are really gentle & mild natured. They are certainly not angry people in everyday life." - peoples can feel hate in their heart. it's inner hate. they don't talking about their angry. peoples can feel silent, sad hate in their heart.
Unless you're a non-returner, you've got the root of hate, aversion, in your heart as an underlying tendency. So you're in good company. :tongue: