Forums, Blogs, and Facebook

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
sattva

Re: Forums, Blogs, and Facebook

Post by sattva »

Kim OHara wrote: Hi, Sattva,
I am fairly new to FB, too, and only gradually working out "the rules" which of course are unwritten (but if anyone can point me to a written version I would be grateful).
I do know the rules are different from the rules on forums. As you say, shorter posts are much more normal, especially in reply (comment) to other people's posts.
They also vary from one age-group to the next, and that may be part of your problem with your niece. At some ages, kids don't want to acknowledge the mere existence of the older generations of their families, in real life or on FB (which is nearly real life for some of them anyway).
And people use FB for very different reasons - gossip (that's not me), political activism (that's me), professional connections (that's Alan, I think), etc, and out-of-context posts are not welcomed. Posting new stuff on others people's pages seems to be particularly risky in this regard.

:coffee: :popcorn: and occasionally :computerproblem: - that's FB :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
You made some important points. Thank you!
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
sattva

Post by sattva »

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their replies. :namaste:

I also shared this problem with a good friend who is also a "friend" on Facebook. She wrote this, "Just KNOW that you are loved, and that families are the NUMBER ONE experts on upsetting, hurting, insulting, irritating stuff. Our most difficult mirrors, as I'm reminded almost daily myself! "

I am still learning my way around Facebook. I wish there was a way to have multiple groups see your posts. For instance, one for family. One for certain acquaintances. One for close friends. Now, I know you can do that to some degree, but I might want to make a post that close friends and certain acquaintances can see, but not family. I don't think that facebook allows you to do that. Most of my family aren't interested in anything that I find interesting. It's just the way it is.
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

sattva wrote: I wish there was a way to have multiple groups see your posts. For instance, one for family. One for certain acquaintances. One for close friends. Now, I know you can do that to some degree, but I might want to make a post that close friends and certain acquaintances can see, but not family. I don't think that Facebook allows you to do that.
It does allow you to do that.

1. Go to the Facebook home page and login. You should be at the URL www.facebook.com
2. On the left side you should see the word FRIENDS in grey color. Mouse over that, and the word "More" will appear on the right. Click that.
3. On the page that appears, click "+ Create List". Create a new list and add whoever you want to that list.
4. Go back to the Facebook home page by clicking on the F button.
5. Type something in the box when you'd normally type to post something. A drop-down box will appear in which you can choose the lists of people who can see this post.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)