the great vegetarian debate

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Is vegetarianism even healthy?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

I have been a healthy, robust and happy vegetarian for many years now.
I have hardly ever taken supplements, and none that have ever been in support of my vegetarianism.
For other reasons maybe, but nothing ever connected to my vegetarian lifestyle.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I have been a healthy, robust and happy vegetarian for many years now.
Me too - and if one has a sensible vegetarian diet there shouldn't be any need for supplements.

These guys in the video seem to be very fit on a vegetarian diet !

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dr. Dukkha wrote: Is vegetarianism healthy? And is it skillful to take supplements?
Yes, it's fine, and with a balanced diet supplements shouldn't be necessary. Are you thinking of taking it up? ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Dr. Dukkha

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Dr. Dukkha wrote: Is vegetarianism healthy? And is it skillful to take supplements?
Yes, it's fine, and with a balanced diet supplements shouldn't be necessary. Are you thinking of taking it up? ;)
Yes. I was a vegetarian for six months once but I don't think I was doing it right. And right now, my cash flow is slowly coming in and there's a lot of debt, so I'm very short on food. I eat about once or twice a day, usually nothing much on the healthy side.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Yes. I was a vegetarian for six months once but I don't think I was doing it right. And right now, my cash flow is slowly coming in and there's a lot of debt, so I'm very short on food. I eat about once or twice a day, usually nothing much on the healthy side.
I've found a non-meat diet to be less expensive than a meat one. For example beans and pulses are usually cheap to buy.
Dr. Dukkha

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

Very true, brother.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
TheNoBSBuddhist

Perhaps, Dr. Dukkha, you may like to review this thread.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:Very true, brother.
I think the important point is that eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive.
TheNoBSBuddhist

I have a wonderful recipe for a warming winter lentil and chickpea soup. I lived on this for a time, when money was so tight it didn't bear thinking about....
Lentils and chickpeas are full of beneficial proteins and roughage. There is so much goodness in them, they should be available on the National Health!!

Dr. Dukkha, I am posting the recipe in the thread I linked.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Vegetarianism is healthy and one does not need to take supplements, unless your diet is unbalanced. A balanced vegetarian diet is healthy, an unbalanced one is not. But that can be said about any diet, vegetarian or not. Although, with an unbalanced diet, taking supplements can prevent many deficiencies due to the poor diet. But the proper way to eat a vegetarian diet is to eat a balanced diet. Eating a poor diet and trying to make up for it with supplements is the wrong way to do it.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

It is worth noting that vegans probably need to supplement their diet with vitamin B12. I have been vegan since 1984, and have experienced no significant health issues.

As other contributors have said, a little internet research will uncover the consensus about dietary needs and vegetarianism, which is the best most of us can do without a personal nutritional advisor.

You should be fine without supplements if you buy cheap healthy food and follow basic guidelines.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Sam Vara wrote:It is worth noting that vegans probably need to supplement their diet with vitamin B12. I have been vegan since 1984, and have experienced no significant health issues.
:thumbsup:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
corrine

Post by corrine »

I, too, am a happy, healthy vegetarian for many decades. Clearly it does not affect my health as I regularly work eleven hour shifts, with much of the work of the physical variety. Supplements can be had cheaply, should you desire to take them, but a a well balanced vegetarian diet should give you everything you require. And it is cheap. I spend very little money on food. I eat vegetables and fruits that are in season and whole grain products along with non fat dairy. Meat is very costly. I also eat a lot of nuts, whatever is on sale. The only reason not to eat a vegetarian diet would be one of a sensory nature - that is, the unwillingness to give up the attachment to eating meat and poultry.

corrine
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:ILentils and chickpeas are full of beneficial proteins and roughage. There is so much goodness in them, they should be available on the National Health!!
I use those regularly, also kidney beans.
cooran

Re: the great vegetarian debate

Post by cooran »

An interesting read:

Confessions of a Vegan
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/confessio ... nn-ebaby-o

With metta,

Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---