Wondering where this will take me...

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Myotai

Wondering where this will take me...

Post by Myotai »

My practice of late has been just about 'letting go'.

I have been using this as I discovered that I had a predisposition for grasping at method and technique rather than focussing on the practice itself.

Strangely my sessions have become much much deeper. By consistently sticking to letting go of any and all thoughts and sensations, I seem to be able to deepen the experience.

I am not aware of this as a specific practice and am needing a little reassurance that I am still practicing a legitimate path and not just wallowing in some sort of mental numbness - though I have to say it doesn't feel like that.

Thanks for your advice in advance - I rarely have time to have dialogues in here but I do appreciate your help.
:anjali:
bananaporridge

Re: Wondering where this will take me...

Post by bananaporridge »

me too, keep it up
great post!
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SN 56.11 wrote:"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of stress: the remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving.
This shows that letting go is, at the very least, at the end of the Path.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

You might find you slip into mental numbness when it get’s familiar and you stop putting energy into it, this is sometimes called spacing out.

Just keep monitoring the level of awareness and attentiveness, as long as it’s lucid and continuous then all you need is the letting go and that’s the practice.

It’s not important what object(s) you choose in meditation, what is important is maintaining the balance between energy/attentiveness and letting go.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mkoll wrote:
SN 56.11 wrote:"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of stress: the remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving.
This shows that letting go is, at the very least, at the end of the Path.
Hi Mkoll
I think you letting go as you go.
The things let go by a beginner is not the same as an Arahant.

What is the last thing to let go?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16201
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Yes, I would agree. For example, one lets go of the imbibing alcohol to get intoxicated.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Myotai wrote:My practice of late has been just about 'letting go'.

I have been using this as I discovered that I had a predisposition for grasping at method and technique rather than focussing on the practice itself.

Strangely my sessions have become much much deeper. By consistently sticking to letting go of any and all thoughts and sensations, I seem to be able to deepen the experience.

I am not aware of this as a specific practice and am needing a little reassurance that I am still practicing a legitimate path and not just wallowing in some sort of mental numbness - though I have to say it doesn't feel like that.

Thanks for your advice in advance - I rarely have time to have dialogues in here but I do appreciate your help.
:anjali:
Hi Myotai,

I think many Theravada teachers talk about letting go, particularly in the Ajahn Chah lineage. See these for example:

http://www.buddhanet.net/bodhiny2.htm

http://podbay.fm/show/336829720/e/1365161686

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USC5MJVZLy8&feature=kp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuryU-qnSI
_/|\_
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I was speaking more in terms of letting go when sitting. So when thoughts arise, acknowledging them but dropping/letting go of them.

I know this is often recommended as a preliminary, but I have been using it as a main practice. So there is no point where I will stop the 'letting go' bit in order to focus on the breath. Even a thought "focus on breath" is let go of....so there is no real goal other than to keep letting go of thoughts and feelings.

Do you think this is an wholesome practice to be using?

Thanks again!

Tony...
greeneggsandsam

Post by greeneggsandsam »

Goofaholix wrote:You might find you slip into mental numbness when it get’s familiar and you stop putting energy into it, this is sometimes called spacing out.

Just keep monitoring the level of awareness and attentiveness, as long as it’s lucid and continuous then all you need is the letting go and that’s the practice.

It’s not important what object(s) you choose in meditation, what is important is maintaining the balance between energy/attentiveness and letting go.
:goodpost:
If you think nibbana is better than samsara, then you've missed the point - Ajahn Sumedho