Tips for a noisy meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
greeneggsandsam
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:43 am

Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by greeneggsandsam » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:56 am

Unfortunately due to some circumstances outside of my control, I often have to deal with a lot of background noise during my meditation, such as, people talking, lights being switched on, arguments, tv, etc etc.

Any useful tips on how to not get distracted by such noise??

I have a feeling someone might suggest walking meditation, so besides that as I do prefer sitting, especially with a lack of a flat path and some cold weather.


:anjali:
If you think nibbana is better than samsara, then you've missed the point - Ajahn Sumedho

User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:08 am

This illustrates exactly how important Meditation, and focus is.

Our environment cannot always be peaceful, silent.... with the aroma of incense, the periodic striking of a bell, or nothing to accompany us, but the sound and sensation of our breath.

You lucky person! What a most excellent opportunity to truly develop calm and insight!

Be Aware.
Be aware of every single sound, and everything that happens.
Note them, take them in, focus on them.
But do not add a single mental word of commentary, other than 'voice'....'light'.....TV.....

Be with them, but not of them. Involve yourself yet remain detached.
Sit. Absorb, observe, and let go.

That's my method, anyway.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

User avatar
cooran
Posts: 8504
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by cooran » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:16 am

Hello greeneggsandsam,

Here is a previous thread on that question:

Meditating with Noise
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11376

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

greeneggsandsam
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:43 am

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by greeneggsandsam » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks cooran
TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:This illustrates exactly how important Meditation, and focus is.

Our environment cannot always be peaceful, silent.... with the aroma of incense, the periodic striking of a bell, or nothing to accompany us, but the sound and sensation of our breath.

You lucky person! What a most excellent opportunity to truly develop calm and insight!

Be Aware.
Be aware of every single sound, and everything that happens.
Note them, take them in, focus on them.
But do not add a single mental word of commentary, other than 'voice'....'light'.....TV.....

Be with them, but not of them. Involve yourself yet remain detached.
Sit. Absorb, observe, and let go.

That's my method, anyway.
Thanks for the advice no.b.s.

But I wish to develop concentration rather than from an insight basis.
I think I might try and get some giant earplugs, as this noise sometimes tries to interact with me even in the middle of my meditation.
The forest is looking like a sweet sanctuary right now.

:anjali:
If you think nibbana is better than samsara, then you've missed the point - Ajahn Sumedho

User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:53 am

To me the exercise is the same thing.
Do not be distracted by external sounds/stimulii, but CONCENTRATE on making them part and parcel of what you are doing, without attachment.

It is what it is.
your resistance to 'what is', seems to indicate you think you can 'improve on it'.

Accept it. Let it be. Float like a leaf on the surface of a stream. You're with the water, but not part of it....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

walkart
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by walkart » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:42 am

Image

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by manas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:01 pm

greeneggsandsam wrote:Unfortunately due to some circumstances outside of my control, I often have to deal with a lot of background noise during my meditation, such as, people talking, lights being switched on, arguments, tv, etc etc.

Any useful tips on how to not get distracted by such noise??

I have a feeling someone might suggest walking meditation, so besides that as I do prefer sitting, especially with a lack of a flat path and some cold weather.


:anjali:
HI greeneggs

just get up early in the morning, say an hour before everyone else. This has always worked well for me.

kind regards
manas
:anjali:
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6438
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by Mkoll » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:47 pm

manas wrote:
greeneggsandsam wrote:Unfortunately due to some circumstances outside of my control, I often have to deal with a lot of background noise during my meditation, such as, people talking, lights being switched on, arguments, tv, etc etc.

Any useful tips on how to not get distracted by such noise??

I have a feeling someone might suggest walking meditation, so besides that as I do prefer sitting, especially with a lack of a flat path and some cold weather.


:anjali:
HI greeneggs

just get up early in the morning, say an hour before everyone else. This has always worked well for me.

kind regards
manas
:anjali:
Yes, getting up at 4AM is an almost sure way to avoid such noise.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

SarathW
Posts: 9996
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by SarathW » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:17 am

G wrote:
"The forest is looking like a sweet sanctuary right now."

=======
Noise of those monkey might drive you mad!
We have to learn to live with noise.
:sage:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2464
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by manas » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:23 am

Mkoll wrote: Yes, getting up at 4AM is an almost sure way to avoid such noise.
And I find that the air is fresher and sweeter to breathe at that time, too.

:anjali:
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:51 am

The trouble with that is, living as a lay person, there is the danger of falling asleep at around 2pm.... Which is not ideal, if one is, for example, a truck-driver.... :coffee:
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6438
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by Mkoll » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:10 am

Here's a verse from SN 9.8, Ven. Bodhi's translation. The commentary says this bhikkhu was an arahant and the context is his meeting with a devatā.
[The bhikkhu:]
"There are many disagreeable sounds
That an ascetic must patiently endure.
One should not be dismayed because of that,
For it is not by this one is defiled.

"If one is frightened by random sounds
Like an antelope dwelling in the woods,
They call him 'one with fickle mind':
His practice does not succeed."
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

User avatar
Goofaholix
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by Goofaholix » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:24 am

greeneggsandsam wrote:But I wish to develop concentration rather than from an insight basis.
I think I might try and get some giant earplugs, as this noise sometimes tries to interact with me even in the middle of my meditation.
The forest is looking like a sweet sanctuary right now.
Concentration is sustaining a quality of balance and attentiveness of mind, it has nothing to do with focusing on a single object though focusing on a single object helps to get it established.

Noise is only a problem because of aversion to it, because you think it shouldn't be happening and you'd be better off without it. Better to use it as an opportunity to train the mind to be balanced and attentive in adverse circumstances.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

User avatar
TheNoBSBuddhist
Posts: 1614
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Location: Loch Lomond, via the High AND Low road....

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:34 am

Thank you Goofaholix, that was precisely my point.

Blessings on you.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.



Image

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

walkart
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Tips for a noisy meditation

Post by walkart » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:32 pm

Behind the noise there is silence. There is no noise without a silence. There is no waves without a ground.

Take this noise as object, and find the silence in it.
Last edited by walkart on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests