Dumb Laws Still On The Books

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ngawang Drolma.

Dumb Laws Still On The Books

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Just for fun, here are the top ten dumbest laws in the United States:

1. Donkeys cannot be kept in the bathtub in states such as Georgia and Arizona.

2. Lollipops are illegal in the great state of Washington.

3. It is illegal for more than five women to live in the same house in Ohio.

4. It is illegal to wear a mask of any kind in public in Alabama.

5. Anyone who flirts in the state of New York can be charged a $25 fine.

6. It is illegal to walk around town with an ice cream cone in your back pocket in states such as Alabama and Georgia.

7. Every man must carry a rifle to church on Sunday in Massachusetts.

8. It is illegal for a woman to do her own hair in Oklahoma, unless she has a beauty license from the state.

9. Montana declares that it’s a felony for a wife to open her husband’s mail. Yet it is not a felony for a husband to open his wife’s mail.

10. Minnesota has a law banning a person from crossing the state lines with a duck on top of their head.

Source

And here are some International dumb laws:

Law: "You may never use dice to play craps."
Place Law Is From: Canada - Unknown

Law: "It is illegal to dispose of used razor blades."
Place Law Is From: United States - Connecticut

Law: "It is illegal to flush the toilet after 10 P.M."
Place Law Is From: Switzerland - Unknown

Law: "It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol."
Place Law Is From: United States - Louisiana

Law: "It is illegal to repaint a house without a painting license and the government's permission."
Place Law Is From: Sweden - Unknown

Law: "A recently passed anti-crime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed."
Place Law Is From: United States - Texas

Law: "When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone."
Place Law Is From: United States - Texas

Law: "It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar)."
Place Law Is From: United Kingdom - Unknown

Law: "If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town."
Place Law Is From: Canada - Unknown

Source
Mawkish1983

Re: Dumb Laws Still On The Books

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Law: "It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar)."
Place Law Is From: United Kingdom
More correctly, it's illegal to serve alcohol to someone who is intoxicated. It's a good law to provent people from becoming 'drunk and disorderly' (a different law). The police are really starting to enforce this more strictly in the UK because of our international reputation.
puthujjana

Post by puthujjana »

The funniest law I've ever heard is from the UK:

"It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament."

I wonder what the penalty is for breaking this law?

:rofl:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
Guy

Post by Guy »

I can't remember where it is, but I remember there being a law against tying alligator's to fire hydrants.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Perry

Post by Perry »

I remember reading that it is perfectly legal to murder a Scotsman in York, UK, as long as he is carrying a bow-and-arrow! Whether that would hold-up in court I don't know! :tongue:

It's also illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament dressed as a knight, I believe. Another is that it is illegal in the UK to eat a mince pie on Christmas Day.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

pmwhewitt wrote:I remember reading that it is perfectly legal to murder a Scotsman in York, UK, as long as he is carrying a bow-and-arrow! Whether that would hold-up in court I don't know! :tongue:

It's also illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament dressed as a knight, I believe. Another is that it is illegal in the UK to eat a mince pie on Christmas Day.

I heard it was a welshman you can kill on york, perhaps its just anyone who isnt english :jumping:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

clw_uk wrote: I heard it was a welshman you can kill on york, perhaps its just anyone who isnt english :jumping:
I believe it is a scot in york, welsh in chester if I remember correctly from my time there!
back home (Isle of Man) a scot can be killed on a sunday during church service on a beach?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Manapa wrote:
clw_uk wrote: I heard it was a welshman you can kill on york, perhaps its just anyone who isnt english :jumping:
I believe it is a scot in york, welsh in chester if I remember correctly from my time there!
back home (Isle of Man) a scot can be killed on a sunday during church service on a beach?

Nice to think how racist and tribal our ancestors on this Island were :shock:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

clw_uk wrote:Nice to think how racist and tribal our ancestors on this Island were :shock:
There are similare laws all over the world, in france there are similare laws about the english, and I think the Rushans have laws about chinese.

these laws can be traced back to wars and invasions, not because they were racist specifically but because there was a need to protect the locals from small bands of attackers who used to do quick runs for profit, the 'racism' happened because of these attacks as it was a way to both deminish the fear and unite against a common enemy.

dont think I have putt that accross 100% accuretly but cant think of a better way to word it.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Manapa wrote:back home (Isle of Man) a scot can be killed on a sunday during church service on a beach?
Honestly now, did you make that up Manapa? Church service on a beach and murder? :alien: :rolleye:

Haha, I'm not accusing you, I'm just curious.

Best,
Drolma
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
Manapa wrote:back home (Isle of Man) a scot can be killed on a sunday during church service on a beach?
Honestly now, did you make that up Manapa? Church service on a beach and murder? :alien: :rolleye:

Best,
Drolma
Not at all, but the scot is on the beach not the church service :toilet:

their is also one somewhere in the south of england prohibiting people from having sex on the church steps during the day!!!!

John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In the Southern states in the U.S. it was illegal for non-whites to marry whites all the way until 1967.

And then it was only repealed because the U.S. Supreme Court intervened!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-miscegenation_laws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guy

Post by Guy »

Manapa wrote:
Ngawang Drolma wrote:

Best,
Drolma
Not at all, but the scot is on the beach not the church service :toilet:

their is also one somewhere in the south of england prohibiting people from having sex on the church steps during the day!!!!
Can we infer that it's okay to have sex on the church steps at night then?
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm