Brian Ruhe and Representation

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Anagarika

Re: Brian Ruhe and Representation

Post by Anagarika »

Mr. Ruhe:

I always regret when my speech is not always polite. I struggle often with the idea that some speech is harsh, and possibly divisive. I also have the sense that any that study the teachings of the Buddha suggest that one need not stand idly by when others are being maligned, or hate speech is being promulgated. I did all of 60 seconds of google search and found this post from someone named Brian Ruhe:

"Brian Ruhe · Follow · Teach night school on Buddhism and meditation at Vancouver School Board

I agree with Stolfi's assessment of Hitler. He is correct that Hitler has been unfairly demonized and it is almost impossible to get an accurate look at the man and his personality. It is well establish how Hitler inspired tremendous economic recovering to a broken nation. It is a worthy undertaking to better understand this history and I think that Stolfi did an inspiring and insightful work in his book. I would love to meet Stolfi or at least email him. Truth has the greatest power."

I haven't read Stolfi's book, and perhaps it's not fair for me to comment on it. But, here's a review from Kirkus Reviews:

"The author strongly objects to the universal “denigration” of Adolf Hitler. Across nearly 500 pages, he decries the “antipathy” against his hero, mistaking amoral charisma for integrity. Hitler, writes the author, was a man of towering achievement, a messiah for the German people, an intense, idealistic mastermind. To Stolfi, the young Wagnerian hero of World War I who boasted a firm handshake and direct eye contact was a sensitive Bohemian artist and opera lover. Against all evidence, the author also proclaims him a wonderful painter and superb architect. Hitler pronounced himself the savior of Europe from the threat of Marxism, and the murder of millions of Jews was simply political necessity. Readers should understand that Stolfi’s book is not a biography but a preposterous hagiography employing selective fact supported by quotes from a few Nazis and a lot from the Führer’s own Mein Kampf."

At the risk of not practicing Right Speech, I won't sit idly by and observe silently what appears to be unskillful, harmful ideas. I am not attacking anyone personally, and mean no personal offense, but I am comfortable attacking unskillful ideas and what sounds to my ears as hate speech. Any person has the right to consider Nazi revisionist ideas, but the line in my view needs to be drawn when Buddhists who suggest familiarity with the Dhamma also teach themes that touch or cross the line into hatred and delusion. Hitler embodies greed, hatred, and delusion and it's shocking and repulsive to me to see his name mentioned even slightly favorably in the context of Dhamma.

I hope that with further meditation and thought your views, in time, will change, and I wish you metta in its fullest sense.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Mara, too, works in mysterious ways, Anagarika.
_/|\_
Brian Ruhe

Post by Brian Ruhe »

First in reply to James,
Hey, it's OK, you don't have to apologize, not that much! I like your sign off, peace, man.

And Hi Anagaraka,
I appreciate your articulateness and that you looked things up. When you mentioned the Kirkus Review my eyebrows perked up because in reviews on Stolfi's book people point out how scathing the Kirkus Review is, saying that the book is as demented as it's subject. It's on one extreme of reviews. Don't know what else to add. The Kirkus Review gave a good review of my book in 1999, Freeing the Buddha.

The other comment about Mara makes me think of the force of Mara in the world working through the highest political powers of international bankers. I think that's how Mara's influence goes. It's back and forth with Mara. The Buddha defeated him so now, after 2500 it seems that Mara's influence grows.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Brian Ruhe wrote:All Wars Are Bankers Wars.
Hitler was then doing the bankers' biddings.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Yesterday, this billionaire banker was hanged.

"Mahafarid Amir-Khosravi was executed at Tehran's Evin prison on Saturday.

Amir-Khosravi was convicted over a scam which came to light in 2011 and involved using fake documents to obtain credit, leading to the embezzlement of around $2.6bn (£1.5bn)."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/b ... -1.1804613
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kamran wrote:Yesterday, this billionaire banker was hanged.
There are good and bad people in every profession.

Anāthapiṇḍika was a banker, very generous, and a sotāpanna.

http://www.aimwell.org/DPPN/anaathapindika.htm
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Rightly put, David.

Generalized aversion towards bankers is equally as deluded as towards any other group of people - regardless of gender, "race", nationality, sexual orientation etc.

Righteous criticism could be adressed towards patterns and manerisms, a behaviour of how certain people deal with others. The world is thankfully not as simple as Mr. Hitler thought it is. So let's get back to the real causes: greed, hatred and delusion. No other sources needed. And please everybody stop looking for scapegoats for anything. That brings up hindrances.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

David N. Snyder wrote:

The term international banker has long been racist code for "Jew."
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

rowboat wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:

The term international banker has long been racist code for "Jew."
Actually, that depends on what conspiracy theories you subscribe to. For the anti-Semetic ones, that is more or less true.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Actually, that depends on what conspiracy theories you subscribe to. For the anti-Semetic ones, that is more or less true.
I subscribe to? And what is this "actually" about? Do you believe you are correcting me about something? Considering the topic is Brian Ruhe's eccentric and troubling views about Hitler, don't you think the anti-Semitic usage is appropriate?
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

rowboat wrote:
I subscribe to? And what is this "actually" about? Do you believe you are correcting me about something? Considering the topic is Brian Ruhe's eccentric and troubling views about Hitler, don't you think the anti-Semitic usage is appropriate?
Sorry, by saying "you" I didn't mean "you, rowboat". Just a general "you". I should have used "one".
Dr. Dukkha

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

I'm a Jewish Buddhist who used to be a huge conspiracy theorist and did not favor Jews for them being a large percentage of people ruining the world. I understand Hitler's intentions and I know there was a hint of correctness to what he did, although it was absolutely dreadful. But today, I decided to leave conspiracy theories to find joy in the Buddhist practice. I reviewed the eightfold path and everything. Then I accidentally came across Brian's videos and now I'm all disturbed again.

Now I don't know whether to steadily aim towards a peaceful, but selfish enlightenment (which may now be very difficult) or educate people about these banker criminals and start a revolution filled with the negative karma of wrong view.

I would much rather let it all go and stick the Buddhist path but this is something that's very hard to detach from. I've been a conspiracy theorist and anarchist for about five years now.

I could use some good advice on how to detach or if there's a particular path that is recommended.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:I'm a Jewish Buddhist who used to be a huge conspiracy theorist and did not favor Jews for them being a large percentage of people ruining the world. I understand Hitler's intentions and I know there was a hint of correctness to what he did, although it was absolutely dreadful. But today, I decided to leave conspiracy theories to find joy in the Buddhist practice. I reviewed the eightfold path and everything. Then I accidentally came across Brian's videos and now I'm all disturbed again.

Now I don't know whether to steadily aim towards a peaceful, but selfish enlightenment (which may now be very difficult) or educate people about these banker criminals and start a revolution filled with the negative karma of wrong view.

I would much rather let it all go and stick the Buddhist path but this is something that's very hard to detach from. I've been a conspiracy theorist and anarchist for about five years now.

I could use some good advice on how to detach or if there's a particular path that is recommended.
I think the best thing to do to break the habit is not to give conspiracy theories your attention. Any websites or books you read, people you may listen to, people you talk to about conspiracies, or anything related to conspiracies at all should be avoided and you shouldn't bring the topic up.

For conspiracy theories to have a strong effect on you, they must be believed in. For them to be believed in, they must be fed with information. For them to be fed with information, information must be sought out by your own choice. Stop feeding yourself this sort of information by not seeking it out and eventually their coercive power will fade.
MN 19 wrote:Bhikkhus, whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Dr. Dukkha wrote: I understand Hitler's intentions and I know there was a hint of correctness to what he did
A hint of correctness? Are you serious? Even if you do hate these so-called evil bankers, is murdering them and all their relatives who have nothing to do with banking, a wise or correct move?
You have a choice between love or hate. Seems like a no-brainer to me, which is best.

"Hate never ceases by hatred, only love dispels hate.
This is an ancient and timeless law
."
Dhammapada 5
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

Mr. Ruhe has an interesting new video:

"What holds attention determines action." - William James