Sutta Central

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
plwk

Sutta Central

Post by plwk »

Straight from Ajahn Sujato...
I have some wonderful news today: our new SuttaCentral is finally live!

You can see it here at: http://suttacentral.net/

We have been working very hard on this for some time now, and are very happy with the results so far. I will be writing on various aspects of this project in the coming weeks, so for now let me just introduce a few of our main features.
More here

:twothumbsup:
Ben

Re: Sutta Central

Post by Ben »

Great news!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Wow.

I'm no scholar, but awhile back I was trying to research some questions that involved comparing Pali and Chinese texts. It proved incredibly daunting, as the texts were scattered in different locations.

A resource like this makes it a snap. I see that many translations are still unavailable and, in the case of the Tibetan versions, some of the original texts are not available either. But the framework is there and doubtless these gaps will be filled in over time.

Kudos to all involved!
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Greetings,

I am wondering if this site could become like accesstoinsight.org? It seems they are making use of content in other pages as well.

Metta,
Thanvuddho
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Some Vinayas are now online with translations into English; other Vinayas & Abhidhammas coming along, but online in primary languages anyway.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

FInally Vinaya translations are available on SuttaCentral. I'm reading the Bhikkhu Parajika section now. The humor is just hilarious!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

:twothumbsup:

K
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/ ... rade-2014/
2014 saw the introduction of the most significant expansion of content and coverage since the site’s inception in 2005.
Details of the changes at the link.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I've always been impressed with that site. Nice to see it get even better.

:clap:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

SuttaCentral has one more update. It seems to have a new interface & detailed introduction page (with a mention to Mike's "In the Buddha's Words - Open Source Version" thread). :)

:anjali:
Qianxi

Post by Qianxi »

It's a nice new introduction.

The new update has removed the direct links to the Chinese texts on cbeta.org, I hope this is temporary. Without the direct links, going from a reference "MA 162" to the Chinese text can be quite time consuming because you've got to find out which 'scroll' of the Chinese text sutra number 162 is on.

Madhyama Agama 162 is referenced
漢語 MA 162 T 26.162 分別六界 T i 690a19
I can't find a quick way of going from either T 26.162 or T i 690a19 to the correct scroll and line of T26.

Anyway, good luck to the suttacentral project.
Last edited by Qianxi on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Thanks for the update, Qianxi. SuttaCentral is truly the first online repository of its kind. There must be at least several lifetimes worth of study in the Theravada section alone! Every time I look at that site I am astounded at how much work it must have taken to get all those texts transcribed from all those different languages.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Unrul3r

Post by Unrul3r »

SuttaCentral Update:

Chinese Āgama texts are now on SuttaCentral (New wonderful look-up tool.)

:anjali:
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The Verses of the Senior Monks: an approachable translation of the Theragatha

This article is to introduce a new SuttaCentral English translation of the Theragāthā, the classic Pali collection of verses by early Buddhist monks. The work consists of 1289 verses, collected according to the monk with whom they were traditionally associated. These poems speak from the personal experience of monks living in or near the time of the Buddha. More than any other text we find here a range of voices expressing the fears, inspirations, struggles, and triumphs of the spiritual search.

READ THE THERAGATHA ON SUTTACENTRAL
http://suttacentral.net/thag
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations