How a bikkhu name is chosen?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
yureee123

How a bikkhu name is chosen?

Post by yureee123 »

I was just wondering.. how a bikkhu's name is chosen? Who choses it? The bikkhu himself? The abbot of the monstery? And the name is arbitrarious? Or it has any context?

It is just a useless curiosity.. =)

Thanks.
Goofaholix

Re: How a bikkhu name is chosen?

Post by Goofaholix »

yureee123 wrote:I was just wondering.. how a bikkhu's name is chosen? Who choses it? The bikkhu himself? The abbot of the monstery? And the name is arbitrarious? Or it has any context?

In Thailand they have a huge book with a list of possible names based on the day of the week or date of the birth of the monk to be, the preceptor chooses a name from that.

InSsri Lanka I understand the monk is named after the village he ordained or was born in .

Note sure about Burma
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

I have heard that at Bodhinyana Monastery in Perth, Australia, the newcomers get to choose their own monastic names from a book of names. Kind of cool, really.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

waterchan wrote:I have heard that at Bodhinyana Monastery in Perth, Australia, the newcomers get to choose their own monastic names from a book of names. Kind of cool, really.
Yep, one monk even made up his own Pali-sounding name; "Nito", pronounced Neat-oh. :tongue:
But that's not usual, it's usually as Goofaholix explained.

I've got a couple of ideas for myself.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

James the Giant wrote:I've got a couple of ideas for myself.
Gianto?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Goofaholix wrote:
yureee123 wrote:I was just wondering.. how a bikkhu's name is chosen? Who choses it? The bikkhu himself? The abbot of the monstery? And the name is arbitrarious? Or it has any context?

In Thailand they have a huge book with a list of possible names based on the day of the week or date of the birth of the monk to be, the preceptor chooses a name from that.
Yes, in Thailand it is based on astrology in the monasteries.

Kevin
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Goofaholix wrote:
InSsri Lanka I understand the monk is named after the village he ordained or was born in .
In Sri Lanka, monks also adopt a Pali name with religious significance, but many monks may have the same Pali name. So his village of origin is added as a prefix to identify which monk is being referred to.
Goofaholix wrote:
James the Giant wrote:I've got a couple of ideas for myself.
Gianto?
Or Jayanto. :jumping:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

The Thai Book is a calendar (I believe). with the starting letter for the name corresponding to the day of the week and date.
I have heard in Burma the name is simply random (although I think the system in thailand may also be used there), and can be chosen because a new ordainee reminds the preceptor of someone.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr