What do I do? Questions, questions, questions...

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: What do I do? Questions, questions, questions...

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

"Suffering" is not the most ideal translation of Dukkha.....

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
cooran

Post by cooran »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:"Suffering" is not the most ideal translation of Dukkha.....

What do you feel is 'the most ideal translation?

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
TheNoBSBuddhist

stress, unsatisfactory, fluctuating.

'Suffering' seems to imply a downer all the time.

Of course, we can refer to the 'wonky wheel' aspect.
The Buddha described this aspect of dukkha by the very choice of dukkha as the term. “Du” of dukkha means “bad,” and “ka” means “wheel.” The Buddha invoked the metaphor of a bad wheel to capture the essence of dukkha.
http://www.netplaces.com/buddhism/the-b ... fering.htm

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
indian_buddhist

Post by indian_buddhist »

I think we can agree that Dukka means suffering from the lowest to the highest.....encompasses all levels and types of Dukka.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Yes, but those not acquainted with Buddhism see the word 'suffering' and think Buddhism is very pessimistic.
The word suffering leaves nothing open to interpretation; it always needs clarification, expansion, explanation.

Whereas the word 'unsatisfactory', fluctuating', 'stressful' can be pretty much seen for what they are....

This is just my view, of course.

Last edited by TheNoBSBuddhist on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Please remember that Discovering Theravada is primarily intended to be a well-cited and relatively standard resource of posts with reference to an OP; discussions of translation issues for the term 'dukkha' will ideally be submitted alongside citations/further reading.

:heart:

For example: translating the term 'dukkha'
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]