The Science Delusion and New Mindfulness

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Cittasanto

Re: The Science Delusion and New Mindfulness

Post by Cittasanto »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:To my understanding sensual pleasures are attended too. Do do a search for the instruction for the raisin and chocolate meditation. The instruction does ask practitioners to see the pleasure.
Yes, from what I've experienced the focus seems to be on enjoying the experience, and I've never seen this exercise done with something that tastes unpleasant. Though you could look at this approach as skillful means I suppose.
Hi Spiney,
It is certainly skilful for the target audience (those suffering with depression, anxiety...).
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi Ancientbuddhism.
I am not familiar enough with the two (MBSR/MBCT) modalities to be able to say what differences there are between them (I doubt there are going to be many) although am interested to know of any yourself or anyone else may notice. I am interested in these for educational reasons (not doing the courses but interested in getting my partner and child engaged with something of this nature). And although I have not took a course I have read the Book mentioned and linked to later very recently, and other self-guided secular mindfulness programs in the past. Personally I don't see anything different in the meditation instruction from what I have been instructed to do on retreats, except the inclusion of mindful eating as a "guided" meditation.
there are free online course here
http://jayuhdinger.com/blog/success-doe ... happiness/
http://palousemindfulness.com/selfguidedMBSR.html
and a outline of the MBCT curriculum here http://oxfordmindfulness.org/wp-content ... iption.pdf

Looking at a couple of the links for the raisin and chocolate meditations I don't see the pleasure specifically mentioned so I was either mistaken or it was mentioned in "Mindfulness: Finding peace in a frantic world" Book I have just given away so can not check unfortunately. However I am about to start reading "mindfulness for health" which has a coffee meditation (it can be any drink) that asks readers to pay attention to the taste, smell...

Transcripts & Audio
Chocolate meditation
Raisin
Coffee Meditation Soundcloud Audio

There is developments in Compassion Training using mindfulness and a good e-book for info is "Compassion - Bridging Practice and Science" I have only read the last section on the different 'programs' properly but it is interesting.

Regarding RET... I am focused on cognitive bias/distortions and getting myself familiar with Cognitive Bias Modification research and their focus on attentional and interpretation bias in order to help alleviate my own bias' and distortions.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Lazy_eye wrote:Plus, let's not forget that Eisel Mazard has been arguing at length in another thread (and in his essays and videos) that Theravada Buddhism is shot through with inauthenticity. So perhaps some Theravada critics of inauthentic secular Buddhism are vulnerable to accusations of False Speech as well?

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20387
This entire page is an interesting discussion. I don't ever see the day that it will be appropriate to accuse, for example, Rinzai Zen, of not being "Buddhist." All of these medieval Japanese schools that emerged 1500 years after the Buddha have been sheltered under the umbrella of the term "Buddhism" for so long, that it's not likely that Buddhism in the west will mean anything other than the cocktail of practices that has developed over the centuries. Now, in the west, we have Secular Buddhism, and "mindfulness" practices, that even thogh they don't mention the name of Buddha, or suggest outright that they are Buddhist, it's largely implicit that these concepts are derived from "Buddhism." The core struggle, it seems to me, and this issue has been well identified by others, is that the historical Buddha set down an entire body of teachings that are largely being ignored by most western Buddhists. Were these teachings outdated, or peculiar to modern times, I could see some reason to accept that they could be corrupted, or reformed and modified to suit modern expectations. What is compelling to me, however, is that to really dig deep into the Suttas yields a treasure trove of Dhamma that has universal and timeless utility and appeal.

So, when I read something from E. Mazard, such a treatise on how anapa can mean intestinal gas passing, it's interesting. Is this view correct?...maybe not. Even more compelling are the scholars, such as Ven. Thanissaro and Ven. Bodhi, who do the heavy lifting to really parse out the suttas and, especially in Ajahn Geoff's case, distinguish the Dhammic definitions from the definitions in common usage....mindfulness vs. samma sati being just one example of this.
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Anagarika wrote:[

This entire page is an interesting discussion.
I've found it interesting and thought-provoking too and would like to thank ancientbuddhism for the thread.
I don't ever see the day that it will be appropriate to accuse, for example, Rinzai Zen, of not being "Buddhist." All of these medieval Japanese schools that emerged 1500 years after the Buddha have been sheltered under the umbrella of the term "Buddhism" for so long, that it's not likely that Buddhism in the west will mean anything other than the cocktail of practices that has developed over the centuries.
Yeah, I don't think we're going to see too many heated debates over whether Zen folks should be calling themselves Buddhist.

I'm just saying that influence, adaptation, and syncretism are hardly new in Buddhism so we should maybe be careful about singling out Western Buddhism as particularly egregious. Even in among the established Buddhist movements and sects you can find examples of "prosperity Buddhism", for instance.
Now, in the west, we have Secular Buddhism, and "mindfulness" practices, that even thogh they don't mention the name of Buddha, or suggest outright that they are Buddhist, it's largely implicit that these concepts are derived from "Buddhism."
My argument would be that we should distinguish between mindfulness programs that do not claim to be Buddhist, and centers/programs/teachers that do. I can't see much basis for objecting to the former. Buddhists don't have a monopoly on meditation practices, even if some of these practices originated in a Buddhist context.

Self-described Buddhist teachers presenting distorted or incomplete versions of the dhamma are a different matter. This may not be a simple question either; my point is just that it's a different question.
The core struggle, it seems to me, and this issue has been well identified by others, is that the historical Buddha set down an entire body of teachings that are largely being ignored by most western Buddhists. Were these teachings outdated, or peculiar to modern times, I could see some reason to accept that they could be corrupted, or reformed and modified to suit modern expectations. What is compelling to me, however, is that to really dig deep into the Suttas yields a treasure trove of Dhamma that has universal and timeless utility and appeal.
Yes, agree with you there! Part of the issue, I think, is that the body of teachings is large, stratified and diverse. Anyone can come up with several distinct "Buddhisms" depending on which suttas are prioritized. Not to forget that a significant portion of Theravada practice actually comes from the Visuddhimagga, It can be a surprise to students that certain practices and teachings -- presented as though they came straight from the Buddha's mouth -- are not from the suttas at all.

As we found out during the controversies over "ethno-Buddhism" in Burma and Sri Lanka last year, some traditional Buddhists appear to have a better grasp of the Jataka tales than the core teachings.

It's been awhile since I looked at the relevant scholarship and I don't have it at hand, but I remember reading that the Mahasamghikas ans Sthaviras tended to emphasize different parts of the canon, with the Mahasamghikas placing relatively greater emphasis on the more mystical elements, and the Sthaviras more inclined to bring out the analytical/rational side of the teachings. Someone correct me if I am wrong though.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Lazy_eye wrote:I remember reading that the Mahasamghikas ans Sthaviras tended to emphasize different parts of the canon, with the Mahasamghikas placing relatively greater emphasis on the more mystical elements, and the Sthaviras more inclined to bring out the analytical/rational side of the teachings.
I'm gonna wager you read this in Buddhist Thought in India: Three Phases of Buddhist Philosophy by Edward Conze, somewhere, such as where the Sthavira developments are being contrasted with Mahasanghika/Mahayana developments, and he mentions the rational/mystical split a few different ways.

It's probably overly simplistic to think in terms of the right brain/left brain::mystical/rational dichotomy, though back in the 60s this was all the rage.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Lazy_eye wrote:My argument would be that we should distinguish between mindfulness programs that do not claim to be Buddhist, and centers/programs/teachers that do. I can't see much basis for objecting to the former. Buddhists don't have a monopoly on meditation practices, even if some of these practices originated in a Buddhist context.
Yet these programs were developed by acknowledged Buddhist practitioners, presenting a contemplative methodology lifted straight out of the Vipassanā traditions where they were taught, and taught in themselves. The connection between traditional and mainstream is this background, and the use of the term ‘mindfulness’ for the clinical modality.

It is a pity that Albert Ellis didn’t make a Buddhist contemplative application to RET in his day, because I daresay that he was innovative enough to have come up with his own application of it and signature term for it other than ‘mindfulness’. This hypothetical would be more honest than what is presented in MBSR/MBCT which in part came out of RET.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

ancientbuddhism wrote:It is a pity that Albert Ellis didn’t make a Buddhist contemplative application to RET in his day, because I daresay that he was innovative enough to have come up with his own application of it and signature term for it other than ‘mindfulness’. This hypothetical would be more honest than what is presented in MBSR/MBCT which in part came out of RET.
It would have been something from Stoicism, I'll wager. Most of these modern mindfulness trends are in fact more Stoic than Dhammic, in my estimation.

Perhaps Buddhists would have to give 'meditation' (and even 'enlightenment') to the emerging secular meditation movements, and focus on using 'bhavana', 'satipatthana', 'vipassana', & 'nibbana' and relevant English (~development, ~rooted/grounded awareness, ~discrimination*, ~extinguishment) etc.

---

* patisambhidāmagga -> Path of Perspicuity, perhaps, in such a world...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]